Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

06 Mar 2013, 10:59 pm

So, here's my deal: I have ADHD. As a result, I can't seem to focus on my school work, and even when I do it, I do the minimal possible work! And my grades are affected by it, because my mind can't slow down to study the stuff!

So my Q is this: How can I slow down to understand the material?

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 11:05 pm

maybe you could take frequent breaks, study in small manageable chunks, but lots of them.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 11:23 pm

Okay...... good tip there.

rabbittss
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 11:31 pm

This was something I was told to do by my English teacher last semester. Read a single paragraph, take some notes on it, then do something else for 5 minutes, Then read that same paragraph again, take notes again, and then do that over and over until the entire reading requirement is finished.

So normally by the time I'm done with it, I will have read the entire reading at least 3 times, and will have very comprehensive notes.. the act of re-reading and writing notes at the same time helps you store things in your long term memory... at least for me anyway..

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2013, 1:01 am

I will take that approach from now on. I like that, rabbittss.

kembleman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Mar 2013, 2:15 am

Make yourself notes every few paragraphs if you have to read something like if your reading a book,write down something like "You can now eat another piece of chocolate"and then read a few more paragraphs and eat a few more pieces of chocolate again like this if your reading a book:

"And there was blah blah blah"

(eat some chocolate)

"And then the blah blah blah"

(take a break and do something)

and carry on reading or whatever.

Hope this can help and you can understand what i mean.

rabbittss
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2013, 2:36 am

equestriatola wrote:
I will take that approach from now on. I like that, rabbittss.

yup I went from failing her class to getting an A in her class almost immediately...

uwmonkdm
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2013, 4:31 am

I have the exact opposite problem, where hours go by and I'm not even aware... BUT, I have tutored many kids/teens who have this problem.
The first thing I would say is: Don't expect to be doing homework for hours straight - it's not normal. Most of my professors don't even understand how I can sit in one place and read or do homework for like 5 hours with no break...

Just set yourself reasonable goals like "I will finish at least half the Math questions tonight" or "I will read at least 2 chapters tonight" and so on..
You are allowed to take breaks - no one is going to punish you for taking a 15-20 minute break in the middle of your homework to just goof off, surf facebook, whatever you want to do. The trick is to come back to the work.
If you plan to attend college or university, it is a lot more independent. There is no one there telling you to work, or even show up to class. You need to develop these work ethics on your own.. even if you're not going to post-secondary, it's a good skill to have.
So with that said, just work out a balance that works for you, although you may need to work a little more than you want to of course, to get things done.

Even if your time is split like 40/60 in this way, that's more than enough to get through High School.

Lastly, if you're getting distracted because the work is too hard, confusing, you don't understand etc... ask for help

Last edited by uwmonkdm on 07 Mar 2013, 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

uwmonkdm
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2013, 4:33 am

kembleman wrote:
Make yourself notes every few paragraphs if you have to read something like if your reading a book,write down something like "You can now eat another piece of chocolate"and then read a few more paragraphs and eat a few more pieces of chocolate again like this if your reading a book:

(eat some chocolate)

This is silly.. but by all means, if self inflicted pavlovian conditioning works on you, then go ahead - but you're treating yourself like a dog and reward conditioning can only go so far.

Besides, you'd be thinking of the reward instead of paying attention to what you're reading/working on.

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2013, 6:42 pm

Good idea. Another problem: I can never seem to absorb the info for mah classes.

kembleman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Mar 2013, 12:44 am

uwmonkdm wrote:
kembleman wrote:

(eat some chocolate)

This is silly.. but by all means, if self inflicted pavlovian conditioning works on you, then go ahead - but you're treating yourself like a dog and reward conditioning can only go so far.

Besides, you'd be thinking of the reward instead of paying attention to what you're reading/working on.

It was only an example i had to think of to give others in understanding the concept of having breaks every now and then.

rabbittss
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2013, 2:46 am

equestriatola wrote:
Good idea. Another problem: I can never seem to absorb the info for mah classes.

This I can't help you with except to say do something that's very un aspie like.. and interact with the teacher a LOT..

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2013, 11:34 pm

rabbittss wrote:
equestriatola wrote:

This I can't help you with except to say do something that's very un aspie like.. and interact with the teacher a LOT..

Hm?

rabbittss
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2013, 11:45 pm

like.. ask questions and stuff like that.