Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TheSperg
Toucan
Toucan

14 Mar 2013, 5:27 am

Yup, they are asking what amounts to a rhetorical question looking for support not an answer. Once I realized this and looked for it things went a lot smoother, still miss some less obvious ones though.

But I hate it when you're asking an honest question, and someone else assumes you want a hug lol. No I really wanted to know the answer!

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2013, 7:48 am

Quote:
Why can't we answer questions?

Don't include me in that "we", because I actually tend to answer on impulse, and most of the times I neither let people finish the question.
I have difficulty answering questions when I'm distracted and someone asks me something. In that case, it can take me hours to answer, even if I've heard the question.
But since I get distracted a lot, this can happen quite often, but it's not my natural reaction; my natural reaction is answering on impulse.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2013, 3:32 pm

Ai_Ling wrote:
I think is because we are too fixated on trying to find the absolute correct answer so what we say is set in stone. Then we get too caught up in the details of things and cant figure out the big picture.

:lol: Exactly!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2013, 3:52 pm

What's so hard about answering yes or no or I don't know and then giving out the details?

Oops I just did it too, didn't answer the question and gave out the detail. :wink:

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

palindrome
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Mar 2013, 4:53 pm

Sometimes I have this problem. I'm not sure what details might be relevant to the person asking, or have little idea how much they know about whatever they're asking. I don't want to seem like I'm being condescending, but I also don't want them to be confused by an answer that's "over their head." That said, I usually end up over-answering rather than under-answering.

Or more often, I will answer the question as literally asked rather than the "intended" question.

It can be frustrating both for me and the person I'm talking to. They think they're asking something seemingly simple, and they either get an answer so terse as to be useless, or an infodump that's just as useless.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2013, 7:01 pm

I can answer questions just fine, mostly.
Open-ended ones give me trouble because I have trouble figuring out what information the person is actually after.
But simple yes or no ones- no problem.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2013, 7:14 pm

At one point, when my AS symptoms were a lot stronger, I found myself unable to respond to questions a friend was asking me.. at the time, I was in the middle of learning all about AS & was able to recognize the symptom in myself after a few frustrating minutes of him repeatedly asking various questions and me not answering. I explained that I "couldn't," answer because the phrasing of the question "Why do you not care?" didn't allow for an accurate honest answer, so rather than be able to think of an alternative response, since I was unable to offer any logical truthful response to that question - my brain just shut off and I became momentarily non-verbal, further pissing him off. We discussed this at length & I explained that I couldn't respond because everything is logical black & white like a computer programming language and there was no possible answer I could give because the question was loaded, pre-determining that I didn't care & expecting an explanation as to why I did not care when in fact the truth of the matter is that I did care. Since stating that I did care wasn't a valid rigid answer to "Why do you not care?" I "couldn't," respond & just froze instead, thanks to my AS symptoms acting up strongly then.

whirlingmind
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2013, 7:23 pm

zeldapsychology wrote:
I assume because we are logical thinkers of sorts. But scientifically is there anything on logical and answering questions and autism/Asperger's?

Some life examples:

Dad: Did you study today?

(Expected answer Yes/No)

Me: I was just in my room reading my textbook before dinner.

Dad: Are you going to get in the pool?
(expect Yes/No)

Me: Well I have to do laundry/clean house and finish chores then I might get in the pool.

I understand Aspies can relate I've made a topic similar to this ages ago but is there any scientific data to back this up and is it just "we think Logically?"

Is it called something? I always tend to give an answer never Yes/No IMO yes/no is to basic!

Thanks!! !

It's because we like detail. My mind is always running fast and analysing, so a simple answer often isn't enough. I need to explain why as well as what etc.

DX AS & both daughters on the autistic spectrum

drewski56
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Mar 2013, 8:11 pm

On a related note, I absolutely loathe "can you give me a ballpark figure?". I find that I have an incredibly difficult time and am even often incapable of providing "rough estimates". I either struggle to express a coherent thought or I search for an exact answer, often resulting in a "well I could have done that" response.