Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Frieslander
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 1:32 pm

I have noticed that ADD lack focus and lack of energy increase with the milk that comes from that comes from domestic cows. Years ago, an chiropractor who uses applied kinesiology recommended avoiding milk -- this was before ANY diagnosis was made on me for brain disorders.

Has anyone else experienced a difference with avoiding this kind of milk?

dand
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Mar 2013, 1:40 pm

This article will help answer your question, all be it on a slightly different topic:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/94965 ... diet-adhd/

Frieslander
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 1:44 pm

dand wrote:
This article will help answer your question, all be it on a slightly different topic:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/94965 ... diet-adhd/

Thanks. I don't think I've ever read about that before. I know milk -- probably specifically the casein in it -- can cause headaches, and sodium caseinate, which is in some so-called "non-dairy" coffee creamer, causes major headaches in me.

dand
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Mar 2013, 1:49 pm

Well, the casein does not get digested properly by the gut, goes into your brain, and attaches itself to opiate receptors in the brain.

Another article for you :)

http://www.corepsych.com/2007/08/celiac ... nd-casein/

Then again, it may just be the caffeine. Whatever the case you should try cutting all dairy out and gluten as well to see if you improve.

I am on this diet and havn't noticed any changes but im desperate to reduce my asperger tendencies :(

Jinks
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Mar 2013, 2:19 pm

I have stopped drinking regular milk and usually use either soya milk or lactose-free milk. I don't know if the lactose-free removes the element that's supposed to worsen the aspie traits, but either way it seems to agree with me better than regular milk does. For those who are considering it, try soya-based, rice-based, or almond-based milk substitutes (you probably want to look for the ones without added sugar) - they taste different to milk but all have a very nice taste in my opinion.

I would like to try a dairy-free diet but I'm struggling because I love cheese. I'm mostly vegetarian and removing cheese from my diet would eliminate many of my favourite meals, and the only cheese substitute I've tried (made from soya) tasted horrendous. :(

Frieslander
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 2:27 pm

dand wrote:

I am on this diet and havn't noticed any changes but im desperate to reduce my asperger tendencies :(

No changes after reducing or totally cutting out casein? really? I think it makes a big difference in me.

dand
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Mar 2013, 2:37 pm

Maybe its not been gone long enough to notice yet? ill have to wait and see :)

Goats milk is good. Almond milk is good. rice milk if you cant get almond or goats. Lactose free still has casein. You need to avoid everything else pretty much.

Frieslander
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 2:46 pm

dand wrote:
Maybe its not been gone long enough to notice yet? ill have to wait and see :)

Goats milk is good. Almond milk is good. rice milk if you cant get almond or goats. Lactose free still has casein. You need to avoid everything else pretty much.

Reducing casein I can feel right away, almost.

Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 3:00 pm

Lactose-free milk should still have casein in it asit has been said.

Interesting read. It doesn't seem to happen all the time though, only when someone is casein intolerant. I never have any of those casein intolerance symptoms shown there, so I don't think I have that. I better not have that :lol: I absolutely love milk.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

19 Mar 2013, 4:07 pm

Frieslander wrote:
dand wrote:

No changes after reducing or totally cutting out casein? really? I think it makes a big difference in me.

Many people develop ADHD-like symptoms or intensify their symptoms due to food sensitivities and/or allergies, and it definitely helps them to remove such foods from their diet. Others do not have these sensitivities or allergies, and see no change in their symptoms when adding or removing such foods from their diets.

I get migraines if I eat too much refried beans, and the aura tends to give me panic attacks. So I don't eat refried beans anymore. On the other hand, milk doesn't seem to have any cognitive impact on me, and I still enjoy drinking it. I do not drink it frequently, however.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2013, 6:24 pm

I feel healthier and better in general when I have access to milk and other milk products, as well as meat, whole grains, fruits and vegetables, etc. As a child I had a very restricted diet because my mother was fascinated with nutrition and tried to make sure we ate "perfectly", thus ensuring that we were missing variety in our diets... When I left home, I grew two inches, probably making up for lost time. Nowadays, I can think better and deal with sensory stuff better, because I can buy meat and milk whenever I like. (We had enough fruit and vegetables growing up.) I'm also physically more energetic--both meat and milk are high energy foods.

A restricted diet can lead to euphoria and better focus, in the early stages, because your body taps into its reserves to try to give you energy to find more food. But in the long term, you'll run out of energy and your body will have to cut corners on things like growth, attention, concentration, and higher-level sensory and cognitive skills. Unless you cannot digest an otherwise nutritious food, or are allergic to it, I see little reason to exclude it from your diet.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

dand
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Mar 2013, 9:53 pm

biomedical treatment is all I have because I dont want to be drugged on antidepressants for the rest of my life. Not that im on them now I just took them for 3 days and stopped. Therefore, I need to try the GFCF Diet. I can also try and get a test done for casein intolerance. That should be a short term plan of mine.

Also, I completely understand what you mean with a balanced diet. If you eat the right foods, you really do not need gluten and dairy unless you have a reaction and need to ween off it. I eat a lot of rice, white meat, vegetables, gluten free snacks, and bacon /eggs etc. And i try to throw in salads.

Whatever works for people :)

dand
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Mar 2013, 9:55 pm

you can also drink diluting fruit juice with water and ordinary fruit juice for calcium and use almond milk for rice crispies and gluten free oats :D

dand
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Mar 2013, 9:58 pm

and the omega 3 and vitamin b complex / magnesium supplements help to top it off. I felt great physically then I felt great mentally from the citalopram but i dont want to not be able to get upset at things if Im on that crap. what if someone dies and i dont know how to get sad, that will destroy me. Especially having to taper off them for a year!

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 10:46 am

My daughter displays extreme hyperactivty when let loose on dairy. So, she's been on a low dairy diet for several years. She takes a coconut based milk instead. I have 'issues' with dairy too (mainly gastro, but some foggy brain as well) and prefer to take almond milk.

Frieslander
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2013, 12:24 pm

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
My daughter displays extreme hyperactivty when let loose on dairy. So, she's been on a low dairy diet for several years. She takes a coconut based milk instead. I have 'issues' with dairy too (mainly gastro, but some foggy brain as well) and prefer to take almond milk.

Just had coconut milk yesterday and got very sick. I think I have a reaction to dried cane juice, which is in soy milk as well -- both those drinks cause a weird brain/mental reaction.