Would North Korea cause a nuclear global holocaust?

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

fueledbycoffee
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 1:38 pm

My friend was playing this first-person shooter once when I came over. He said it was called Homeland. I asked, since the enemies were Asian looking, if the country that had invaded the US was China. He said no, it's North Korea. I fell on the floor laughing.

North Korea talks big, does nuclear tests, etc. because it's good propaganda. Every few years, they lob some artillery off into SK, SK hits them back, China and the US get huffy, and it quiets down. North Korea does not have the economy required to fuel a major war effort, and they don't have the nuclear power to survive a nuclear war, so they won't launch one.

Iran's more of a problem, if you ask me. You have a fanatic theocracy led by three organizations (IRGC, Supreme Leader, Government) that don't have anything approaching a clear chain of command, and their supreme leader is apparently a heroin addict, and they're apparently close to getting the bomb. Even that lunatic asylum of a government won't launch a nuke, though, since Russia, Europe, China, India, Saudi, Iraq, and what was left of Israel would come down on them like the sword of Damocles. Nobody wants a mad dog with nukes hanging around, and they know that.

Honestly, what I'm really worried about is that one of these days Pakistan and India get into it.

ICY
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Mar 2013, 2:12 pm

North Korea's government, such as it is, is to interested in surviving to start nuclear war with U.S.

I'm more worries about nuclear weapons in the middle east, either in the hands of radical regime or falling into the hands of terrorists.

mikassyna
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 2:36 pm

You don't need long-range nuclear missiles to cause massive damage to our country. All our enemy would need is a short range nuke detonated anywhere into our upper atmosphere to send us right back to the stone age. From what I understand they already have the capability and could attack our country and our allies at one go, without any precision needed. Better stock up on your food and water supplies, and some weapons while you're at it.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... /?page=all

fueledbycoffee
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2013, 5:27 pm

mikassyna wrote:

Just a bit of advice. Never, ever use the Washington Times as a source. It's a fringe paper founded by a lunatic cult leader, Reverend Moon. It's where the news goes to die.

glow
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2013, 6:11 am

GreenTechnoFox wrote:
I am getting concerned over the issues in North Korea. It is not that I am worried about their missiles. I am worried once the launch one, we will launch ours as well as everyone else. I heard that if they fire one it breaks M.A.D (, Mutually. Assured Destruction) policy. I am worried we area ll going to die in a needless nuclear war! :cry:

:cry: :) the good news is that they never really developed any new nuclear weapons, so there isn't really anyone who is very likely to trade with them anyway, I mean , the stats are off as it is. if they're willing to trade themselves out of E.U negotiations the military are going the wrong way about it.
What was being treated as a threat was in fact the use of very old and small nuclear warheads being used to destruct towns etc. having said that, I am beginning to wonder where these blasts in factories and hotels are coming from in your states. maybe there are terrorists being used over there to carry out their inferior warnings. i am sorry for the loss of life though and angry that some Koreans find that terror is more appealing than bringing food to their own civilians who are scarred of hunger.

xenon13
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2013, 4:32 pm

No.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2013, 6:29 pm

GreenTechnoFox wrote:
I am getting concerned over the issues in North Korea. It is not that I am worried about their missiles. I am worried once the launch one, we will launch ours as well as everyone else. I heard that if they fire one it breaks M.A.D (, Mutually. Assured Destruction) policy. I am worried we area ll going to die in a needless nuclear war! :cry:

Relax. There will not be any such war.

ruveyn

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2013, 9:15 pm

Nah.

South Korea isn't even worried about them - its an extortion attempt. OTOH South Korea is probably more confused than anyone why the US is playing the whole thing up bigger than they themselves think it is.

North Korea, the Boston events and media coverage recently of the ricin mailings which have been going on per federal law enforcement that I know steadily since 9/11.

Its all a distraction - focus on what's decidedly weird that's getting singificantly less media coverage and you'll have a better chance of seeing what it's all about.