Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

huytongirl
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Sep 2014, 5:57 am

Just had to post again as I read Who-Am-I's link (sorry - can't do underscore on this phone). The number of times I have knocked over a glass of water while trying to pick it up! I see my fingers banging into the rim of it and knocking it flying, all but helpless over it. I just see my hand doing this! So that probably explains the bursitis (which I also get in my shoulders) - strain caused by problems with muscle tone. Thank you for that. Sorry if this is posted twice - wifi keeps dropping out.

VisInsita
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Sep 2014, 8:30 am

LupaLuna wrote:
Speaking of muscle tone. Do any of you have larger then normal calf muscles? especially those who are toe walkers.

I have. I walk at times on toes. I also have a natural tendency to sit in a squatting position. If I sit at home, I usually sit on the floor. Even when sitting in a chair I raise my legs to my lap or sit in a yoga position. Chair position feels so unnatural.

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Sep 2014, 3:30 pm

LupaLuna wrote:
Speaking of muscle tone. Do any of you have larger then normal calf muscles? especially those who are toe walkers.

I do. My calves have looked for as long as I can remember like they've swallowed a grapefruit. :lol: But that's because I crack my ankle joints umpteen times a day.

I have weak muscles but that is because I have POTS and have exercise intolerance. On good days I can walk at a moderate pace - on bad days I'm flat on the couch with tachycardia and trying to exercise would do me in .....

AQ score: 47
RAADS-R score: 196

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2014, 4:42 pm

TheSperg wrote:
I've noticed many criteria include low muscle tone for autism or AS, this is maybe the one symptom that is obviously not psychological. What is the theorized cause of this?

As per my experience (see thread in sig) it's caused by the digestive issues at the root of ASD symptoms that result in an inability to properly digest proteins/nutrients required to build muscle mass. Since treating the digestive issues and alleviating almost all of my ASD (and other comorbid) symptoms, I've managed to put on approximately 20lbs of muscle mass in the last year or so and am stronger than ever w/ far greater stamina.

nuttyengineer
Toucan
Toucan

20 Sep 2014, 6:22 pm

Yeah, I definitely have low muscle tone. It's kind of interesting in my case. When I haven't been exercising in a while (and by a while I mean two or three weeks), I'm extremely weak even to the point where I have trouble keeping my balance just standing up. After just a week of exercising, though, it's like my body suddenly remembers that it actually is quite a bit stronger than previously thought. Don't quite know how else to explain it.

I can definitely relate to trying to reach for an object and inadvertently knocking it over instead. I'm also really good at not quite picking my foot up high enough when walking up a flight of stairs and face-planting... not sure how related that is.

Birdsleep
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Sep 2014, 6:23 pm

huytongirl wrote:
There seems to be confusion here between having well-developed muscles and having problems with the muscles themselves.

That's what I am observing as well. There is a difference between strength and coordination.
I'm terribly clumsy, bumping into things all the time and I can't throw or catch properly.
(The clumsiness only disappears when I'm dancing, something to do with the rhythm of music,
or a more conscious feeling of the movements.)
But since early childhood I've been unusually strong for a skinny girl.
My mother said I was sitting on her hip like a monkey, she didn't need to hold me.
And I was climbing poles, ropes and trees all the time. Although I hated team sports, because
of my clumsiness, I loved physical work, always testing how much I could lift or how fast I could dig.
Only ten years ago I was still doing honey harvests, lifting 60-70 boxes of 25-30 kg each, all day long, (I'm 50kg/1.70m).
But I can't do any of this any more, because I developed some form of rheumatism called fibromyalgia.
Now my muscles are sore all the time and they don't build up anymore, even if I try to ignore the pain and do
some exercise (running and chin-ups/push-ups). It's very frustrating.
And like my dad, I look much younger than my age. That is definitely genetic.
Didn't know it was connected to AS though.
I suspect he was also on the spectrum, but he never got diagnosed,
and I can't ask him anymore, but I remember that he had many of the typical AS traits,
and my paternal grandmother as well. She was also skinny and strong.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2014, 7:20 pm

I'm small and skinny, but very toned