Why do women care so much about a mans height?

Page 1 of 16 [ 256 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next

Ratae
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Apr 2013, 8:07 am

I'm 5'8.5" (174cm) nothing less around 170 pounds and the girl i liked a lot is around 5'4" and i finally asked her out just to be told i'm not her type. Her friend told me she only dates tall men over 6ft.

Now, only 20% of British men are over 6ft, so she is limiting herself. But why do so many girls want tall guys above all else?

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 8:27 am

Not sure why, but you are correct that it is a widespread preference. However, it's not universal or only those 20% you mention would have mates. When you find somebody who loves you for who you are your height won't matter.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 8:55 am

Inject growth hormones or do a leg surgery. /sarcasm

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 9:18 am

Uprising wrote:

Or seek professional help for this obsession of yours.

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 9:29 am

you are about average height for a man (national averages across the globe for men are about 5'8" to 5'10"), so if the women don't like you, it is probably not your height.

EDIT: obviously some people have height preferences, but some women have preferences for men *under* a certain height as well, as do men. it's not a universally defining characteristic of attraction to want to date people over 6' or something. if it was, then the average current height for men would not be 5'8" to 5'10".

Last edited by hyperlexian on 04 Apr 2013, 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uwmonkdm
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 9:53 am

If you're measuring your height by half inches you may be a little obsessed about it, and it's coming off as an insecurity. That's probably more unattractive than your actual height.

Lilya
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 10:05 am

It should be natural for people to have preferences when it comes to partner's height, weight, hair colour etc. but I don't think they often are absolute among the requirements for a romantic partner. Height or strength (or even wealth) in a man often evokes some primitive sense of security in a woman. I used to date a 6'2 guy who normally never dates women under 5'10, but that didn't stop attraction between us.

To be honest, I don't think your incompatibility with that woman was likely to be only about the height.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 11:00 am

Not all women care that much about height. Most want a guy taller than them, but not every girl only dates guys over 6 feet tall. I'm about your height, maybe a bit taller, and I've dated guys shorter than me and taller than me. My husband now is 6-2, but height has never been anything I worried about. This one Lebanese guy I dated was 5-5, so he was a lot shorter than me, especially if you count the high heels I wore and the 80's big hair, which altogether put me at about 6 foot. We would joke about it, it wasn't an issue. He said he liked tall women and I said I liked dark, hot men. I thought he was hot even though he was short.

There used to be this one guy who hung out with this group of friends and me back about 1981 or 1982. We called him "Big Bad Billy Bob" (William Robert was his name but he was called Billy Bob. The Big Bad part was added because he was 5-3. He was really popular though. He always had girlfriends. He did the whole "cowboy persona" thing but I think that was so he could wear the boots with the two inch heels on them and the cowboy hat that added height. He looked good in it though. He also drove his HUGE 4x4. This truck had so much lift on it and big mudders that it wasn't funny. Roll bar, KC lights, all that. The step into it was as high as an 18 wheeler. He had a kick a** stereo too in it. That guy was full of confidence for sure. He never lacked girlfriends.

Don't lump all women into one category because some have told you they want a certain thing. I've had guys not want to go out with me because I was taller than them. Or because I was as tall or almost as tall as them. That doesn't mean all guys want short women. That just meant those particular guys wanted short women.

Generalizations don't really work because they aren't true. They may be easy to put out there as a reason for something, but it's just not true that women want tall men. Some women do. Some women don't. Some women could care less whether he's tall or short.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Vectorspace
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 12:07 pm

Ratae wrote:
I'm 5'8.5" (174cm) nothing less around 170 pounds and the girl i liked a lot is around 5'4" and i finally asked her out just to be told i'm not her type. Her friend told me she only dates tall men over 6ft.

Now, only 20% of British men are over 6ft, so she is limiting herself. But why do so many girls want tall guys above all else?

Yes, but that's her problem, not something for you to worry about.
I'm 5'7", by the way.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 1:18 pm

I one of the tallest men around (6'6") and it drove me insane to see so many women demanding a certain height. I remember seeing this incredible profile of a gorgeous woman and she not only had the same interests but basically said "I want a inexperienced, introverted guy in his late 20s (i.e. me)". I was all set to initiate contact until she said on the last line in bold "You must be at least 5'11" to contact me".

I can tell the majority of women ONLY contacted me because of my height and nothing else and that drives me absolutely insane! I like long black hair but would never turn down someone for something they have zero control over.

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 2:28 pm

Well, there certainly is one good thing about short, thin males.

They fit in small areas.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 2:43 pm

IMO, it's a carry over of a more primitive instinctual mate selection process.

The biggest, tallest, strongest, fastest, dominating alpha male of the tribe was most successful in hunting, war, etc and attracted the females for it. The whole "might is right," and "only the strong survive," sort of philosophy. They're looked at as having good genetics for procreation as well as the personality traits required to have high earnings and thus be a good provider for her and their children.

While a weakling geek can very well earn millions of dollars in todays economy, we still haven't shed the evolutionary things that make people attracted to one another at first sight, smell, etc & may never.

While different, this is related: I'm a bit over 6'2". I've taken note over the years, especially much more recently, that because of this people make certain assumptions about me and my capabilities. It's assumed that I'm confident and successful at ______ meanwhile there are many times that I feel like a highly anxious nervous timid little church mouse on the inside, yet my outward appearance gives people the impression that I'm a highly confident type A competitive person that more often than not wins in competitions/negotiations etc. I've been thinking about others' perceptions of me in this capacity and trying to use what they assume to my advantage by portraying myself as closer to as confident as they assume or expect vs. how I may be feeling. I'm not trying to come across as overly confident, and certainly not arrogant, but in realizing that others' first impression of me is often higher than my perception of myself, I recognize the need to close the gap a little in terms of bringing my own sense of self worth & confidence up closer to that NT assumed line in order to be more successful in many areas of my life that are influence by social interactions - mainly work/career/finances, but I'm sure other more personal areas will be affected as well, because how you do anything is how you do everything.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 2:53 pm

Well, another reason that some women may prefer tall men is the presumption that everything is in proportion.

Think about it.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 3:02 pm

OliveOilMom wrote:
Well, another reason that some women may prefer tall men is the presumption that everything is in proportion.

Think about it.

I'm surprised there isn't a "Is it really true that the average aspie male's willy is a bit smaller compared to the average NT male's one?"-thread posted around here yet.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 4:13 pm

Uprising wrote:

or just wear shoes with lifts in them. Some can give three inches.

"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people. I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. The best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes."

IlovemyAspie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2013, 4:53 pm

How many times can I say this....

KEEP CALM AND DATE A SHORT WOMAN!!

:D