Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ahayes
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2007, 7:24 pm

I have had a few hiding boxes. I also formed big tents using sheets and a heater vent.

katrine
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2007, 7:28 pm

Why the heater vent? How many boxes? Have you always done this?

IrishEyes
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2007, 7:43 pm

Sounds just like me as a kid :P Does he attend main stream school or a school for Autism? I would suggest getting in contact with an occupational therapist. I know what you mean about giving him a hug. I always pushed my parents away when they tried to hug me, not because I did not love them but because I didn't like the sensation.

Temple Grandin-My Experiences with Visual Thinking Sensory Problems and Communication Difficulties.
http://www.autism.org/temple/visual.html

DrowningMedusa
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2007, 8:24 pm

katrine wrote:
I'd prefer to give him a hug!

Funny but it's not the same thing... I never liked being hugged by my parents, no matter how much I love them. (And I do, very much!)

I used to squeeze under my bed - it was just high enough off the floor to fit under. Once my breasts started developing though, I didn't fit anymore.
It made me really sad... I liked the "squashed feeling" for the simple reason that if something is enveloping you that tightly and consistantly, there's no chance something else will come out and touch you out of the blue, be it a hand, a piece of clothing, or even a breeze... Your runaway reactions to your sense of touch are no longer a distraction...

Just out of curiosity, does your son have a hard time feeling textures with his palms? Or on the skin of any part of his body?

katrine
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2007, 8:38 pm

My son is very bright - good at maths (could do negative sums at three) but goes to an autism school, and even there, at the moment, he is distressed.
He was an awful baby. I did "baby massage" and he hated it! :D I don't know whether he likes sensations on his palms or not. He says his hand and feet are "private" when I want to cut his nails, thought!

hexel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jan 2007, 9:17 pm

Another option you might think about is a weighted blanket. If you Google it, you'll come up with a ton of links.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

12 Jan 2007, 9:36 pm

IrishEyes wrote:
When I was very young, I would climb up into the top press of my wardrobe to what I associated with being quiet and relaxing. I would sit there for hours, until my parents would call me for dinner. I had a tent which was great, but you need something comfortable to sit on. I also liked to get under my mattress to feel pressure, it was relaxing. I know have a separate part of my room with a bean bag for meditating and chilling out, when I feel stressed.

He may need the box for pressure reasons and not just to hide. Has he seen anyone about sensory issues.
When I was a child, I used to get underneath the twin sized mattress and have my sister sit on it. I guess it was the pressure that I craved. I experienced a wonderful sense of security with this sensation.

Droopy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jan 2007, 11:46 pm

I've been having a really hard time lately with some stuff. I haven't thought about sitting in a box since I was a kid but after reading this thread now I want a box.

KurtmanJP
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2007, 11:47 pm

I had an abused friend in middle school who sat in a box sometimes. I'm not sure if he was an Aspie or not, though.

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2007, 11:54 pm

katrine wrote:

If he's having a meltdown, that is probably the last thing on earth that he wants.

Just speaking from personal experience, though...

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2007, 1:11 am

katrine wrote:
Funny about the matress thing - he pulls his matress off the bed at night a sleeps on the floor with it on top of him.
He also squashes into a cupboard. Once he actually sat on top of a tool box and needed stiches :( .
What kind of sensory issues - who should I see, what can I do at home to help him?

This may seem contrived but it REALLY helps me a lot when I need 'comfort' (is this the correct word)? I like blankets, especially heavy comforters or quilts too. I use a digital metronome with a visual pendulum - available at music shops. I did mention this in another post. Anyway, while a metronome is a different medium, it is still soothing and provides a pace. Just a suggestion.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2007, 9:14 am

This is SO common, that I think it has NOTHING to do with autism. I think there is just a part of the brain that just doesn't "mature" in autistics, that causes them to keep, or be delayed in releasing, these quirks. BTW no offense is meant there, it is just that it is interesting that a lot of these quirks would STILL exist if autistics didn't, they would just be in kids.

Steve

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2007, 10:11 am

Temple Grandin uses a squeeze chute that she built for cattle. Sounds like a good idea.

My cats love boxes. I guess people with AS are a lot like cats in a lot of ways.

Droopy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Jan 2007, 12:38 pm

janicka wrote:
katrine wrote:

If he's having a meltdown, that is probably the last thing on earth that he wants.

I'm the same way, hugs only make it worse for me, anytime. During a meltdown though, I flip out.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2007, 1:07 pm

Droopy wrote:
janicka wrote:
katrine wrote:

I'm the same way, hugs only make it worse for me, anytime. During a meltdown though, I flip out.

YEAH, I liked the boxes, and little shelters, etc... But ****NOT**** hugs!

Steve

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2007, 1:42 pm

Droopy wrote:
janicka wrote:
katrine wrote:

Especially if the person doing the hugging was the one who caused the meltdown in the firstplace.

Not saying you're a bad mom, but it does happen...