Page 3 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2015, 6:00 pm

AutisticGuy1981 wrote:
if the bike starts to feel like you will fall then just slowly turn into the direction it feels like you will fall in, and suddenly the bike becomes a lot more stable.

Something most people fail to mention when teaching someone to ride a bike.

once people know the above they tend to just be a bit wobbly but won't actually fall

I was taught this, and I honestly don't think I would have ever learned how to balance on a bike without knowing it.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2015, 5:20 pm

Though I don't recall having trouble with bikes I did with other sports.

If you want to cycle without risk, try indoor spin classes. I've been doing them for about 3 years.
Sometimes I can't take the electronic music and volume.

MissAlgernon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Feb 2016, 3:07 pm

Inle wrote:
Wow - I've never been able to ride a bike! I didn't even realise that was an autistic trait!

Same... It's troubling.
I'm now wondering if it's the same with other fine motor skills such as tying shoelaces or swimming...

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2016, 3:20 pm

I cannot either. I was always too scared.

MCHB
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Feb 2016, 6:53 pm

I remember when I was 4 or 5, they were planning to do a bike safety thing at school. I said to my folks, "I want to learn to bike without training wheels!" so they obliged. Just outside where I grew up, there was a steady, slightly sloped grassy hill. That's pretty well how I learned to ride a bike. I'll never forget the time that I crashed into a parked car, lol! I didn't feel bad about it though; dumb maybe, but I remember when my brother did the same thing! :lol:

Getting back on a bike 3 years ago felt weird at first as I hadn't been on one since 2002. I started with doing wide, flat gravel rail trails and gradually moved into doing actual trails and just kept at it from there. I have moments where my coordination will just go out the window, but I remember on a slight uphill slope I fell over and landed in a bush! Now I had biked more complicated stuff prior, which is what made it comical! I've been lucky when it comes to wipe outs; I usually wind up landing in the local foliage. My personal best was when I was trying to keep up to the neighbor. one of my wheels slid into a rut and I superman-ed over the handlebars!

Like learning anything, start slowly and go from there; start on flat, wide surfaces; preferably soft ones. Don't worry about shifting; something easy to mid range will suffice. If you're on grass, you'll want to be in an easier gear. Once you have some momentum going, the bike becomes more stable.

Now fencing on the other hand, I suck at fencing. I enjoy it and I've made a lot of close friends through it, but I'm terrible at it. Unless it's blatantly obvious, I don't pick up on the body language and usually wind up parrying with my face!

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2016, 10:55 pm

I never learned how to ride a bike. My mom kept making me try to learn for many years; it wasn't until I was diagnosed with Asperger's at age 12 that she finally stopped trying to make me learn.

Neo Redpill 101
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

08 Apr 2016, 8:28 pm

I ride a bicycle every day and love it, but for some reason I can't stay balanced or relaxed on any motorbike or moped? They terrify me for some reason. I tried riding one in Thailand once and it was difficult to just start moving without constant thoughts about losing my balance and falling, which causes that to happen...

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2016, 8:07 pm

I can't cycle right now because the front wheel bearings on my bike are busted. It's frustrating. :X

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2016, 5:58 pm

I managed to get a scrap bike from a friend of mine that had wheels the same size as mine, and after swapping the front wheels, I finally had a usable bike again! :D The front and back tires might be mismatched, but things seem to work just fine. It did take some time to "break in" though, and I still need to do some adjustments on the brakes.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2016, 7:16 pm

I saw a video today about this "bike" and thought it looked interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lKq1fGtXFM

LjSpike
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

18 Jan 2017, 1:28 pm

I remember back when I couldn't cycle. My little bike all kitted out with stabilisers, and my dad sitting on the bench, and I just couldn't turn the pedals at all. One day for some reason I then could turn the pedals, and then I slowly begun to actually learn to cycle.

Neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 162 of 200
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 52 of 200
LINK: http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly10a.php?p1= ... =66&p10=74
-------------------
Score breakdown for RAADS-R
Total: 185.0 | Language: 17.0 | Social Relatedness: 90.0 | Sensory/Motor 45.0 | Circumscribed Interests: 33.0
LINK: http://www.aspietests.org/raads/questions.php

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2017, 4:25 am

I haven't cycled in a long time, since I ruptured the tube in my back tire several months back. It doesn't help that it's winter too, and I never got around to buying studded tires like I had planned.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2017, 1:52 am

I didn't learn to ride a bike until I was 11. My stepdad taught me in the school carpark, heh.

A few years later when I went to high school, I had to ride and I got really good at it. Could beat all the boys on my racer.

Now, many years later, I have a nice bike but the front wheel got buckled when we moved house. Will have to take it to the bike shop to be repaired.

Cad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 May 2017, 9:22 pm

I have a permanent injury which makes cycling impossible for me. It's sad.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2017, 6:16 pm

^^^ could you ride one of these?

Mine has been great for my SCI rehab.

Xenoquineo
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Jul 2018, 7:27 pm

It’s one thing to cycle fast easily especially if you haven’t cycled in years, yet it’s another to be able to know when to stop especially with cars coming. This is my weakness in cycling. Think I should try cycling again sometime?