Page 2 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Ioini
Raven
Raven

06 Apr 2014, 12:38 pm

This is all good advice! I was deprived from two wheels when I was a kid and it shows! :lol:

NineSpiral09
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Apr 2014, 4:04 am

I can't trust myself on a bike. However, I have a better chance maintaining balance when I'm on a train in Japan...for some reason...

Cazz333
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 May 2014, 5:36 pm

NineSpiral09 wrote:
I can't trust myself on a bike. However, I have a better chance maintaining balance when I'm on a train in Japan...for some reason...

Interesting. I'm terrified of the gap between train doors and the platform.

I learned to riders bike when I was 10. Scraped both knees pretty badly but I picked it up quickly. Mind you, I was on concrete which is not the best surface to learn on.

Thom_Fuleri
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2014, 9:25 am

I learnt to ride when I was in my 30s. I saw an adult cycling course at my workplace, and I signed up for it. I fell off a few times, but I was persistent and I'd learned something that I hadn't when I gave up on bikes in childhood - I allowed myself to be crap at it. After a couple of hours of pushing myself along in the car park, I started freewheeling for a few seconds. Then a few more seconds.

I started getting one foot on the pedal, and ironically found it easier to do both. I recommend NOT having straps on your pedals. If you fall, it's much better to have your feet free to stop yourself.

By the end of the first two-hour session, I was pedalling. I was doing the impossible, and it was glorious.

I blogged about it here...

http://freedom-muse.com/2013/03/18/on-your-bike/

Gita
Raven
Raven

20 Jul 2014, 9:48 pm

Ibought a new bike several years ago after not riding a bike for several years. Three rides in, I hit a curb, wobbled, my right leg got trapped in the frame, and I totally shattered my tib/fib. I was in the middle of a freeway on ramp with one foot twisted to the side,and a leg that flopped like a wet sausage. It took many years before I could walk with no pain. I still can't stand in line for more that about 15 minutes. I won't even go into how the cost not paied by insurance ended up causing me to lose my house.

Due to this my response is, if you don't think you can ride a bike, don't have the balance, etc. Then do not do t. So mant bike riders get hit by cars and so on. It is actually quite dangerous.

Trikes are much more stable. A trike or three or even four wheeled recumbent bike is the way to go.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2014, 10:14 pm

MDD123 wrote:
Why do they make the bike seats the way they do? Don't they realize that people have to sit on them? I just spent my afternoon with my bodyweight pressed against my pelvis. :evil:

[img][800:600]http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/872279/8979999/0/1242029422/gel_bicycle_saddle_cover_bike_saddle_pad_gel_pad.jpg[/img]

invest in a gel seat cover (they're not expensive--mine was about twenty bucks). they're awesome, they really make a big difference if you spend a lot of time on a bike. i got myself one years ago and my tush thanks me every time i sit on it. :lol:

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

05 Sep 2014, 2:13 pm

AspE wrote:
johnny77 wrote:
If you can find a recumbent trike with 2 wheels on the front its a lot better on uneaven roads than a tradional trike is. But there a lot more expensive too.

They are usually too low to the ground for my comfort in traffic. I would even prefer a delta recumbent trike (one wheel in front).

You need one of these...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxFTGkxZBno[/youtube]

Has a nice, high seat and is easy to ride.

I'm just waiting for some crank arm shorteners for mine.... even my broken down ass can ride one!

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2015, 7:14 pm

...I have something depressing to tell you about my never learning to cycle :( ...........

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2015, 4:15 am

A while ago I raised the seat on my bike so that I could put more force into my pedaling without standing up, but I've noticed that it makes it much harder for me to mount it, and I'm also more prone to falling off, which has actually happened to me 2-3 times in the last few days. Should I just lower my seat? To clarify, this usually happens when I'm carrying shopping bags on the handlebar, or when I'm going over treacherous terrain like snow or mud (yes, we had a freak snowstorm a few days ago, but most of it has melted away now :P). Also, I didn't ride my bike for most of this month since I was broke, and had no reason to go uptown.

On the plus side, it seems that after I've started "breaking in" my bike, it's become a much smoother ride, albeit I still need to grease the chain, AND I've been getting better at steering one-handed too. It could just be because it's easier to maintain inertia when I'm going fast, but it seems I'm becoming a bit more physically coordinated.

Grue
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Jul 2015, 7:59 am

How and why is this sticky or pinned?

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2015, 7:51 am

I didn't learn to ride my bike until I was ten and I learned to tie my shoes last year.

I'm actually more of a walk person. I walk to check the mail and just last night I found a way to get from the train tracks to a part of town that has lots of stores, it's actually busier than down town. It has all of the major fast food chains along with popular stores such as Walmart and Best Buy it also has corner stores. However it's really busy. Also I walk near the train tracks (beside them) so it is essential to avoid walking at times when the train comes, I won't get hurt though I'll just have to get away from the train tracks.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2015, 12:14 pm

...Depressing story about how I never learned to bicycle: :(
I was six years old , I lived in what could be considered the furthest Southern end of upstate New York (In relation to NYC) , an area for known for its generally hilly , lot of bumps and " up " and " down " in it , land/topography .
I had a bicyle with training wheels on it . I don't know that I was particularly gung ho about it ~ but I had it .
One day , a relative/older person ~ I believe my maternal grandfather , who lived in East Texas , noting for its flat land . - said to me , " You baby , you should be ashamed of yourself for needing training wheels " , or similar .
I never rode a bicycle again . Not to this day . Nearly fifty years later . :cry:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2015, 12:23 pm

I learned by having training wheels for a while...then when they started getting worn out, parents decided it was time they come of and I learn to ride without them. So I practiced in the grass since it was softer if I fell and well it was easier to balance on the grass then I was able to stay balanced on the grass and moved onto the sidewalk where I finally got it down. Now I can't figure out how it was hard to balance.

Inle
Raven
Raven

24 Aug 2015, 3:30 am

Wow - I've never been able to ride a bike! I didn't even realise that was an autistic trait!

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 6:12 am

Inle wrote:
Wow - I've never been able to ride a bike! I didn't even realise that was an autistic trait!

Same here, I didn't realize it either.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2015, 6:00 pm

AutisticGuy1981 wrote:
if the bike starts to feel like you will fall then just slowly turn into the direction it feels like you will fall in, and suddenly the bike becomes a lot more stable.

Something most people fail to mention when teaching someone to ride a bike.

once people know the above they tend to just be a bit wobbly but won't actually fall

I was taught this, and I honestly don't think I would have ever learned how to balance on a bike without knowing it.