Virtual Reality, Augmented Reality & Motion Control Gami

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2013, 1:05 pm

I've recently gotten excited over the development of the Oculus Rift, the Leap Motion controller and the Reactive Grip prototype (among other cool new gaming tech) and what they could mean for the future of interactive and immersive gaming. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm all in favor of adding more immersion and physical interactivity to games. I'm looking forward to being able to step away from the mouse and keyboard and take control of a character and their actions more intuitively than (not that using a mouse and keyboard isn't already intuitive for those of us who already use them) moving a mouse to look around and pressing keys on the keyboard in front of me to perform actions.

I think the new tech is going to be especially useful for games like the Arma series and MMOs, which have more movement, view and action controls than are easily accessible with the left hand on a keyboard. It'd also be really cool to play FPS games with a prop gun in your hands; I can only imagine how much better my accuracy and reaction time would be with one of those, along with a VR headset like the Rift. Adventure games would be crazy-awesome too, with something like the Leap Motion controller or other gesture-recognition system. Being able to interact with objects and puzzles like you would in the physical world would be amazing- turning knobs and valves, flipping switches, pressing buttons, lifting, rotating and moving objects like normal.

So what do you other gamers and tech enthusiasts out there think of all the stuff that's coming out in the next few years? You think it's going to breed new innovation int the games industry, or do you think it's all just going to be a fad, and become the next nerd or geek stereotype point?

Darkone101
Toucan
Toucan

27 Apr 2013, 3:30 pm

Sadly I had the chance to join the alphas for it(kickster) but did not. If this works how they want it to work we can visit a world like "ready player one" aka the book that give them the idea to make it!

Andras
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2013, 4:42 pm

I'm mostly interested about the Oculus Rift. Imagine looking around with that in Skyrim in super high graphics or any other game in a fantasy style. It just makes you feel so much more alive in a video game and a big step towards games becoming more real. Or what about using that with Amnesia, scary as hell! :P

I do think it's going to make a whole new breed of innovation in the gaming industry but I think it's going to take longer than a few years. Give it.. let's say... 5-7 years? Let's just hope it doesn't flop like the Nintendo Virtual Boy did.

PsychoSarah
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2013, 9:31 pm

Virtual reality could be crazy with zombie games!

8bitKnight
Raven
Raven

28 Apr 2013, 1:18 pm

I am not really into motion controls, I prefer controller in hands. Hopefully the industry doesn't kill the old school way.

Darkone101
Toucan
Toucan

28 Apr 2013, 2:04 pm

In the end I hope we get a dive system like sword art online. Say before I die?

Andras
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2013, 2:42 pm

8bitKnight wrote:
I am not really into motion controls, I prefer controller in hands. Hopefully the industry doesn't kill the old school way.
I doubt that would happen. I think the gaming industry for the old school way will get significantly smaller but there should still be a handful of big companies and many indie developers making them.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2013, 1:15 pm

I would rather not have goggles/a box on my head, and I don't like waggling to perform in-game functions.

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2013, 5:00 pm

staremaster wrote:
I would rather not have goggles/a box on my head, and I don't like waggling to perform in-game functions.

Well, the idea of the head gear is to allow you to look around the game world like you would in real life: by moving your head in 3D space; rather than pushing a mouse cursor around on a stationary screen. I can understand how gesture control might bother some people, though, if you don't have much space, and considering how inaccurate the cheap-ass motion detectors and gyroscopic sensors can be for detecting and interpreting motions of fine motor skills.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 12:02 pm

^ The concept makes sense, I think I understand it. But imagine this scenario: sixteen year-old gamer with a new fps. He loads it on his PC or slaps it in his his console, puts on the head gear, picks up the plastic rifle, starts the game....and then his mom comes in to tell him to wash the dog or take out the garbage or whatever. The transition would be super jarring; turning your head to investigate a real world noise, you would still see the game world until you removed the goggles from your face. I'll definitely try out oculus rift when I get the chance, but it still looks like trouble. I'm thinking headaches, nightmares, eye problems...

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 12:09 pm

staremaster wrote:
The transition would be super jarring; turning your head to investigate a real world noise, you would still see the game world until you removed the goggles from your face.

I've never had that problem, personally. I can listen to the real world and respond effectively without having to look away from the screen while I'm playing. I find it annoying to have to do so, but it's not at all difficult for me to make the instant transition between the game and my real surroundings.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2013, 1:37 pm

Zokk wrote:
staremaster wrote:
The transition would be super jarring; turning your head to investigate a real world noise, you would still see the game world until you removed the goggles from your face.

I've never had that problem, personally. I can listen to the real world and respond effectively without having to look away from the screen while I'm playing. I find it annoying to have to do so, but it's not at all difficult for me to make the instant transition between the game and my real surroundings.

Fair enough. With the kind of immersion upgrade posed by the combination of oculus rift and motion control, maybe with headphones thrown into the mix, I see problems.

eelektrik
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2013, 3:25 pm

staremaster wrote:
Zokk wrote:
staremaster wrote:

Fair enough. With the kind of immersion upgrade posed by the combination of oculus rift and motion control, maybe with headphones thrown into the mix, I see problems.

That can already be a problem with just headphones, and people use them anyways. Although the first time someone taps me on a shoulder while I have VR goggles and headphones on I can imagine it would be weird and startle the crap out of me.

Its all a matter of knowing when you have time to game. I have typically done most of my gaming when no one is home, or others are asleep already because I dislike getting interrupted. This wouldn't change that at all.