how many here, will never get married

Page 9 of 13 [ 205 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

JanuaryMan
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2013, 6:11 pm

I've never seen someone so desperate to push their beliefs onto people that they would surrender all civility, maturity, and political correctness in order to do it. This was a thread asking will you marry or not, not why or why we should/shouldn't.

clown, take it to the PPR board. Leave it out of here.

MXH
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2013, 6:19 pm

appletheclown wrote:
Sad but True wrote:
Once upon a time a guy who was in a foreign country asked one of the locals, whom he had been wooing for several months if she would marry him, she said yes. They lived together in a one room apartment, and were very happy together. When time came for the first of their children to be born, there was a complication, and both the mother and a child died in childbirth, except for one infant, the woman had had twins. The father raised the boy to be strong, agile, good hearted, and to stand up for the weak. His son soon joined the army, his son was his life, and his son became legend.

THE BEGINNING

What the hell does that have to do with anything here?

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2013, 6:58 pm

Sorry is all I can say.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2013, 6:59 pm

MXH wrote:
appletheclown wrote:
Sad but True wrote:
Once upon a time a guy who was in a foreign country asked one of the locals, whom he had been wooing for several months if she would marry him, she said yes. They lived together in a one room apartment, and were very happy together. When time came for the first of their children to be born, there was a complication, and both the mother and a child died in childbirth, except for one infant, the woman had had twins. The father raised the boy to be strong, agile, good hearted, and to stand up for the weak. His son soon joined the army, his son was his life, and his son became legend.

THE BEGINNING

What the hell does that have to do with anything here?

It was a joke.

meems
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2013, 7:57 pm

appletheclown wrote:
meems wrote:
My biological parents agreed not to have kids, and then my mother intentionally got pregnant with me, and my dad divorced her. The divorce wasn't the problem, it was a solution to a problem.

Divorce is a solution to a problem. If you stay together "for the kids" you end up resenting the kids, oftentimes. I'm glad my parents began their divorce before I was even born. They did themselves and myself a huge favor.

And they knew each other for nine years before they got married.
Your mother was a pedo from what you said, how was it the solution if your father could have protected you from your mother? You are lying about something. And why would you want to do your mother a favor you said you hated her? You said your mother didn't do you a favor, so why the change of heart? Did your mother actually love you in a motherly way?

You're really dense and you're making assumptions again. My dad did protect me from her, but he didn't know she was a pedophile until years and years after the fact. She didn't get to be around me for very long periods of time until I was a teenager and I decided to live with her because it was a repressed memory by then.

But my dad left her WHILE she was pregnant and then struggled to get custody of me and as a result, I didn't grow up in a house with a pedophile.

You're totally right, divorce saved me from living with a pedophile.

meems
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2013, 8:01 pm

elaborate disney fantasies really are just fantasies

RenegadeRaven
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 May 2013, 8:40 pm

I want to get married in the future but the odds are heavily stacked against me, especially being an atheist. However, I absolutely refuse to wear formal attire so it makes my goal even more daunting than it should. No one is going to force me to wear a tie/suit.

Plus, it is going to be harder since my true personality is too eccentric for most people and I would not fit in with most social circles.

But weirder people and other people who have other issues/problems have been able to find love so I can do it.

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2013, 9:47 pm

I choose not to think about marriage. Right now I am doing what I can to save whatever friendships I have with people while building new ones. I also have no choice but to look at what I can do to be more responsible for myself moving forward.

restlesspirit
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 May 2013, 6:55 am

DarkRain wrote:
I'm not the sort of person who wants to deal with another person day in and day out. I need my space, and I can't get that if I have a husband around the house. It's just not happening. I'm single, celibate, and very happy. :D

My feelings exactly.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2013, 7:35 am

I'm not politically correct at all, and I'll never force anyone else to be either.

BigSnoopy126
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 May 2013, 9:33 am

meems wrote:
elaborate disney fantasies really are just fantasies

Well, they all say they "lived" happily ever after, not that life was happy. Since "happily" is an adverb it modifies how they lived, so they could choose to be happy despite their struggles. In other words, to be thankful for what they had instead of thinking life would be better apart because the Mongols attacked and destroyed their castle or their children died of smallpox.

My problem is the uncertainty of it all. Yes, as a guy I could love a woman even if we went broke, lost our dreams, a wife got really sick, or little things like she always left the cap off the toothpaste or did other stuff that some might consider annoying, and we could laugh at it. My grandparents were best friends and could laugh with each other and at themselves about anything, and my mom and stepdad are the same way. In fact, it's a hallmark of our family. (I don't mention my boil dad since I didn't see him after about 18-20 months old; he drnk & my mom knew it was no place for a handicapped child; to his credit he realized it, too.)

But, since I can't read people I'd never be able to tell if there was something I should be doing because she did think some guy looked nicer and was coming on to her. I'd never know if the magic would wear off and as hard as I tried, she wouldn't stick to her commitment and make the choice to put up with life even if it wasn't very happy due to poverty or sickness or whatever.

At least if I adopted a child young enough I'd have a chance to teach them and show them how to live in such a loving environment that hopefully they'd mature and learn to be the same. I'd know what I was getting into; with a spouse I wouldn't. I mean, I know a guy whose mother said she pretended to be a Christian so his father would fall in love with and marry her. And the dad, whom I also knew, was neurotypical!

JackCaliber
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 May 2013, 12:03 pm

With the MFA degree I'm a year away from getting, I feel my life is getting interesting enough to be happy without marriage. I can't ever see myself giving up hope, though. I mean, hell, Look at Barbara Eden at 78. Would you pass up a chance to lock that down if you were in your 70's? :D

Ferrus91
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 May 2013, 1:45 pm

MXH wrote:
Returning to topic on hand, marriage is but an agreement between two (or more) people and a government. It does not have an intrinsic good or bad. It is completely dependent on those involved on how its going to affect them. You keep Trying to elevate it to some sort of spiritual level and that if its not great its because people suck.

Ha - I have silently had this argument with my dad many times who thinks all marriages can be saved if they are worked out properly, who sees marriage as the most important day of someones life and who sees it as a spirital contract with god. What a load of bollocks. This concept of seeing it as something more than a contract I find bizarre. This is mainly a Christian issue as other cultures do not take this idea to such an extreme. One of the many idiocies that Christianity has shackled Western civilisation with I suppose.

ArthurDent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 May 2013, 1:47 pm

I can safely say no I will never get married due to my being unable to love people and my being undeserving of that feeling from people. It is the order of things.

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2013, 2:03 pm

Ferrus91 wrote:
MXH wrote:
Returning to topic on hand, marriage is but an agreement between two (or more) people and a government. It does not have an intrinsic good or bad. It is completely dependent on those involved on how its going to affect them. You keep Trying to elevate it to some sort of spiritual level and that if its not great its because people suck.

Ha - I have silently had this argument with my dad many times who thinks all marriages can be saved if they are worked out properly, who sees marriage as the most important day of someones life and who sees it as a spirital contract with god. What a load of bollocks. This concept of seeing it as something more than a contract I find bizarre. This is mainly a Christian issue as other cultures do not take this idea to such an extreme. One of the many idiocies that Christianity has shackled Western civilisation with I suppose.

If you have a right to believe what you believe, do what you want, and be what you want to be, then don't get married, and don't bash those who do. You should be enjoying your freedoms to have fwb, not trashing something you'll never do.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

28 May 2013, 2:15 pm

Knock it off, appletheclown.
You've spent the past few pages noisily defending your personal views on marriage so you're in no position to tell others how to act when they express theirs.
If you want to debate the virtues (or lack of them) of marriage, start a thread in PPR. This one simply asks how many here will never get married.