Page 13 of 16 [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

traven
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2016, 3:46 am

there's a 'french guinee' too, but the [] is called 'cochon d'inde' in f , indian pigs and i never knew but it's food too ,
also there's the 'canard de barbarie' for the more meaty duck - (barbary for any far away place)
Although the Muscovy duck is a tropical bird, it adapts well to cooler climates, thriving in weather as cold as −12 °C (10 °F) and able to survive even colder conditions. In general, Barbary duck is the term used for C. moschata in a culinary context. The domestic breed, Cairina moschata forma domestica, is commonly known in Spanish as the pato criollo ("creole duck"). They have been bred since pre-Columbian times by Native Americans and are heavier and less able to fly long distances than the wild subspecies. Their plumage color is also more variable. Other names for the domestic breed in Spanish are pato casero ("backyard duck") and pato mudo ("mute duck").
-but they can drift off nontheless

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Dec 2016, 12:48 pm

English gift (present) and German gifft (poison)

English fig (a fruit) and German fig (f***)

English mist and German myst (poop)

Russian kot (cat) and German kot (excrement)

American car brand "Nova" and Spanish "no va" (no go)

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2017, 11:26 pm

In English a "pet" is a domesticated animal, and in Serbian "pet" means five.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2017, 11:40 am

In German, "ass" means "ace." In English, it means a fool, a donkey or the rear end. I laughed like crazy once when I saw the word on a card in a German children's game.

One of the dances I do regularly in my folk dance class is "Kisa Pada," a Croatian rain dance. The word "kisa" is Finnish for "cat." Zapata is Spanish for shoes. I call it "the cat shoe dance." The fog rolls in on little cat feet!

MidoriNoKaori
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Mar 2017, 5:12 pm

IstominFan wrote:
In German, "ass" means "ace." In English, it means a fool, a donkey or the rear end. I laughed like crazy once when I saw the word on a card in a German children's game.

One of the dances I do regularly in my folk dance class is "Kisa Pada," a Croatian rain dance. The word "kisa" is Finnish for "cat." Zapata is Spanish for shoes. I call it "the cat shoe dance." The fog rolls in on little cat feet!

To correct a little bit, kisa means a race or (a game of some kind) in Finnish. It is usually used in a plural form on spoken language (for example urheilukisat (meaning sports event) or children might say "otetaan juoksukisa" meaning "let's have a race and run".

Correct word for a cat is kissa. This might sometimes confuse Swedish speaking persons dramatically people because verb kissa means to urinate or pee in Swedish. 8O To confuse people more in the same-like differences between same language group, the word and verb kiss (or to kiss) is equivalent of kyss or kyssa in Swedish. (Sounds nearly same to a German word tschuss - informal way of saying good bye)

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2017, 10:23 am

Oops, sorry! Yes, I now remember "kissa" had two s's. Thank you, Midori!

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2017, 9:20 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
Japanese baba (祖母/ばば) (grandmother) and Russian baba (бабушка, баба; grandmother) and Yiddish Bubbe (Grandmother)
Chinese: bàbà (爸爸)= dad

Also:
muffin sounds like 马粪 (mǎ fèn) which means horse excrement

I also find die in German and English to be amusing.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2017, 10:34 pm

Personally, I suspect burritos are stuffed with ground burro toes.

(okay, that isn't strictly technically a false friends thing, and burros don't have toes, but my mind made the phonetic connection decades ago and still can't let go.)

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2017, 11:32 pm

kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
(okay, that isn't strictly technically a false friends thing, and burros don't have toes....)[/i]

wut? of course they do. as do all other perissodactyls.

(burro meaning "donkey" in spanish and portuguese :mrgreen: )

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

kitesandtrainsandcats
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2017, 11:48 pm

Kiprobalhato wrote:
kitesandtrainsandcats wrote:
(okay, that isn't strictly technically a false friends thing, and burros don't have toes....)[/i]
wut? of course they do. as do all other perissodactyls.
Why it is I can't go a single day on this bloody forum without learning something I didn't know? :wink: :lol:
And Google finds ...
... that I was right when I thought I was wrong and being silly.
Interesting.
Quote:
"Odd-toed" or "odd-hoofed" mammals make up the Perissodactyla. Like the "even-toed" Artiodactyla, perissodactyls are unguligrades; that is, they walk on the terminal bones of the toes and have enlarged toenails forming hoofs. Unlike artiodactyls, perissodactyls either walk on three toes (like rhinos, tapirs, many extinct horses, and other extinct groups) or on a single toe (like recent horses).

Only seventeen species of perissodactyls remain on the Earth today, a shadow of the group's former glory. Perissodactyls were once much more diverse, including the enormous horned brontotheres, the bizarre browsing, clawed chalicotheres, and the largest land mammal of all time, the Eocene Indricotherium (formerly known as Baluchitherium). It stood five meters (over sixteen feet) tall at the shoulder.

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/mammal/mes ... ctyla.html

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2017, 2:40 am

i have also learned a thing :o chalicotheres...never heard of 'em. (my god how goofy they must have looked)

lately for me it's been "why can't i go a day on here without reading a thing i've already read?" :wink:

english fabric (meaning: fabric) and spanish fábrica (meaning: factory)

a spanish word for fabric being tela

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2017, 4:17 pm

248RPA wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
Japanese baba (祖母/ばば) (grandmother) and Russian baba (бабушка, баба; grandmother) and Yiddish Bubbe (Grandmother)
Chinese: bàbà (爸爸)= dad

Also:
muffin sounds like 马粪 (mǎ fèn) which means horse excrement

I also find die in German and English to be amusing.

Chinese dialects/languages are very tonal.

If you say "ma" in certain tone in Chinese it means "horse", it can have several other unrelated meanings if said in other tones. And if you say it the way a school mate from China demonstrated (kinda softly)in front of class in highschool take a WILD guess what "ma" means!

It means the same thing as that the English word "Ma" means.

But I digress. So if "ma" means "horse" then "fen" must be the Chinese equivalent of the "s word".

248RPA
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2017, 9:03 am

In Russian, друг/drug = friend

In English, drugs are not your friend :D

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2017, 9:21 am

Kuše: crossbow / kuš: shut up (cz)
Kuş: bird (tur)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2018, 8:48 pm

komamanga wrote:

I don't know those abbreviations.
What languages are those?

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2018, 1:10 am

naturalplastic wrote:
komamanga wrote:

I don't know those abbreviations.
What languages are those?

Oh sorry I thought they were universal. Czech and Turkish. Also, š and ş are pronounced the same (like 'sh' of shop).