The World Doesn't Owe you, You Owe the World

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 11:02 am

Wreck-Gar wrote:
OliveOilMom wrote:
It's basically like a military obligation. Used to be (and it may still be, I don't know) every male born in the US had an obligation to serve four years in the US military. His service would pay for the protection that the DOD gives to him and his children as citizens. His service of four years was of less value than a lifetime of protection against attack, but with every able man eventually serving, it balanced out. This is why a lot of boys would just go directly in the service when they were old enough, to get it over with. Now, some of them were not able to serve for whatever reason. Their military obligation was waived and they were of course given the protection by the military that all citizens get.

I don't mean to derail this thread but there is no current requirement for anyone to serve in the military.

Yeah, that's why I said that.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 2:20 pm

Quote:
Used to be (and it may still be, I don't know) every male born in the US had an obligation to serve four years in the US military.

I think you may be thinking of a different country entirely.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 2:45 pm

"The World Doesn't Owe you, You Owe the World" ~ The world does not impose itself on you; you are an imposition on the world.

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 4:11 pm

Fnord wrote:
"The World Doesn't Owe you, You Owe the World" ~ The world does not impose itself on you; you are an imposition on the world.

Well, let's be killer clowns from outer space :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z_Bg9_rhPc[/youtube]

just kidding

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2013, 2:26 pm

Seriously Fnord, when you state

Quote:

0. What do you mean by imposition? When you state "you" do you mean me in particular or the general "you" that applies to anyone and/or everyone?

1. When you mean imposition on the world do you mean imposition on the planet itself or society? What is exactly is the world?

2. Does this apply only to a sub-group of people or to everyone who lives on the world?

3. If it only applies to a sub-group then I have no further questions at this time as I believe I understand what you are talking about.

4. If it applies to everyone and it means an imposition on society then do you mean we are all impositions on each other? If not then what do you mean?

5. If the answer is yes to number 4 then how do you come to your logical conclusion that the world does not impose upon me? What is your logical basis for this?

6. I do have a pragmatics issue which I am trying to work on. Will you please be patient with me and answer my questions?

Kailuamom
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2013, 6:18 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:
YippySkippy wrote:
I think I understand the statement, but find it to be ruthless capitalistic rubbish nonetheless.
The starving child in Ethiopia owes the world something?
A government that collects trillions in taxes from its people does not owe them anything in return?
Basically, I believe the statement is an excuse to trample on the poor and the weak and still call yourself a "moral" person.

(You'd probably get a lively discussion out of this if you posted in PPR)

Here is the thing with that. I'm more likely to obtain an answer from an NT here than I would in PPR. Momsparky and ASDMommy has been giving me lively discussions as well. I wish more NTs were here to answer though.

I don't have the time to comment at length - but I can add....

I believe this is only true in context:

Basically, I believe the statement is an excuse to trample on the poor and the weak and still call yourself a "moral" person.

It can sound like right wing political garbage, or if used in a more general sense regarding contributions, can be very right on (IMHO).

I think it's basically referring to kids being more spoiled today, and expecting all sorts of expensive stuff, than when the speaker was a kid. I agree with this. Money is entirely different and a kids role in the family has changed dramatically. My kids will figure this out that all of the time, energy and money i have been providing, will not come to them like mana from heaven once they are grown. When they are providing for themselves, all of that "stuff" will require work on their parts or they won't get what they want.

I have done a very poor job in teaching this, as I feel that i have spoiled my kids terribly. Especially my ASD son. His life is so hard that I buy him stuff to make him happy.

I don't believe that the speaker was talking about the starving children in Ethiopia. More likely, American teens wanting a BMW when they turn 16.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2013, 7:29 pm

Fnord wrote:

I didn't impose myself on the world. I don't remember being given any choice about being here.

Please note that I am not claiming that anyone owes me anything. I don't believe they do.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

cubedemon6073
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2013, 9:06 pm

Fnord, I have two more questions for you. This assumes when you say world you mean society.

7. If the world does not impose upon me then why do we have thousands of complicated laws in which one has to be an attorney to interpret properly, that I am expected to follow, and ignorance is considered no excuse? How do I determine what these laws are and how do I follow 100% of them 100% of the time? If this is the expectation then how is this not an imposement upon me?

8. If the world does not impose then why do we have a complicated social veneer in America that one is expected to follow without question and if one breaks this veneer punishment is brutal?

Blarneystone
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 May 2013, 10:44 am

YippySkippy wrote:
I think I understand the statement, but find it to be ruthless capitalistic rubbish nonetheless.
The starving child in Ethiopia owes the world something?
A government that collects trillions in taxes from its people does not owe them anything in return?

(You'd probably get a lively discussion out of this if you posted in PPR)

I think I understand your perspective. But here is how I see the quote.

We owe the world to be good people who try to build up and better those who are weaker than us. The starving child should be someone we seek to help so that one day s/he can help others.

Personally, I view most governments to be evil. They do not help the weak get stronger, they encourage the weak to get weaker. In fact, much of the famine in Ethiopia was due to government due to their mismanagement of resources and wars.

Overall I think we'll each be remembered for either our contribution we made to others or what we took from others. It is up to you how you want to be remembered.