Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Greb
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2013, 2:44 am

Tyri0n wrote:
If you check the traditinoal symptoms of asperger, stimming, repetitive behaviour, monotone voice, non visual contact, and so, all of them have something in common: they're very easy to perceive

I think there is more to Asperger's than that. I only meet the bolden one from your list and still got an official diagnosis, due to social isolation, flat affect, and avoidant behaviors.

Well, I don't have a monotone voice at all. Indeed, I have been told more than once that I could work in a radio.

However, I have an absolutely monotone look. I'm an auditory person, don't care really about the look. Most of my clothes have the same colour, so I don't have to worry about how they mix. When I love some piece of clothe, I buy three or four units, so I can wear the same style continuously and I don't need to change my look. Is that a 'traditional' asperger symptom? not as long as I know, though for me it's quite clear that it comes from my AS.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

05 May 2013, 2:53 am

Greb wrote:
Tyri0n wrote:
If you check the traditinoal symptoms of asperger, stimming, repetitive behaviour, monotone voice, non visual contact, and so, all of them have something in common: they're very easy to perceive

I think there is more to Asperger's than that. I only meet the bolden one from your list and still got an official diagnosis, due to social isolation, flat affect, and avoidant behaviors.

Well, I don't have a monotone voice at all. Indeed, I have been told more than once that I could work in a radio.

However, I have an absolutely monotone look. I'm an auditory person, don't care really about the look. Most of my clothes have the same colour, so I don't have to worry about how they mix. When I love some piece of clothe, I buy three or four units, so I can wear the same style continuously and I don't need to change my look. Is that a 'traditional' asperger symptom? not as long as I know, though for me it's quite clear that it comes from my AS.

Yes, I'm a very non-visual person as well. Had to be taught specifically about fashion and such.

briankelley
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2013, 2:59 am

Repetitive behavior and non visual contact do indeed seem prevalent in people with Aspergers. The so called monotone voice and stimming however, I simply can't relate to either subjectively or through objective observation. But I won't keep arguing that or insisting against it. It's just one of those things that seems to come up a lot, that I simply haven't known to be the case in most people with Aspergers. Some yes, but not most.

Now monotone look; that I've seen a lot and I'm told I have an inexpressive face.

Maybe I'm thinking too much that monotone voice means talking like a robot.

Greb
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2013, 3:20 am

briankelley wrote:
Maybe I'm thinking too much that monotone voice means talking like a robot.

Well, this is the idea I have of a monotone voice. Except for the vocoder, of course.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

05 May 2013, 5:41 am

briankelley wrote:
Repetitive behavior and non visual contact do indeed seem prevalent in people with Aspergers. The so called monotone voice and stimming however, I simply can't relate to either subjectively or through objective observation. But I won't keep arguing that or insisting against it. It's just one of those things that seems to come up a lot, that I simply haven't known to be the case in most people with Aspergers. Some yes, but not most.

The thing about Asperger's is that many of the people diagnosed with it could just as easily been diagnosed with (and meet the criteria for) autism or PDD-NOS, and it's even questionable as to whether AS is a real distinct thing separate from what people call "classic autism" rather than simply being part of a spectrum (which many perceive it as).

You also can't really classify your observations of this as "objective observation" any more than anyone else can. That's what research is supposed to establish. What you observe, what I observe, what Tyri0n observes, is subjective in nature, and vulnerable to selection bias and confirmation bias.

This kind of discussion is one of the reasons I see the shift from "AS/autism/PDD-NOS/CDD" to "ASD" in the DSM-5 to be a positive thing. If there's no AS to diagnose anyone with, then we don't have to have discussions as to whether someone with an AS diagnosis could possibly have traits that they really have.

Anyway, I don't have a particularly expressive voice and I find it difficult to put emotion into my voice or add inflection. However, my voice is not 100% monotone, just more that emotional content to my speech is muted.

Last edited by Verdandi on 05 May 2013, 6:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2013, 5:50 am

I have a monotone voice but my only official diagnosis is depression.