Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

freewaydog
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 May 2013, 1:08 pm

So, so true,...

886 wrote:
The idea of someone not wanting attention from someone is completely foreign in our society.

Most everyone in society does everything to impress the opposite gender. Everyone wants to date, to have sex, to get and give attention. Some people want to have lots of sex but never love anybody. Some people want to have alot of emotional closeness but never have sex. The idea of someone wanting neither is just foreign to most people. There are people out there like that, but it's hard for those close to grasp. I never really went out and dated anybody until later in life, and you get that pressure from friends, oh, you must be gay. Oh, you're afraid. Oh you haven't found the right person. Oh you need to get out there more. Or, alternatively, you just don't want anything from anybody of that sort. As true as it is to you, some people just never will accept that to be true.

It does recieve more prejudice than the LGBT community - in a way. As in.. people out there will understand one's life decision to mate with the same gender. Very few people, close friends, family, therapists, alot of people just don't understand.. you want NOBODY? You don't want to love, you don't want to have sex, anything? The only people who will understand that are those with similar mindsets, yourself, or really close friends.

Vectorspace
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 1:49 pm

chlov wrote:
hanyo wrote:
I wasn't always this way but I think I'm probably asexual/aromantic now

Can sexuality actually change beyond the years? I didn't know that.

Hormones change, so why not?

Cai85
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 May 2013, 3:54 pm

I'm an aromantic and only have very limited interest in sexual activity.

Do I feel discriminated against? Not really. I've yet to meet someone that I've confessed this to using it to harm me in any way.

Does it give me trouble? Yes. I've never really felt 'the spark' people talk about with new relationships, which makes it hard to put in the initial effort. Very common things in relationships (like kissing) are uncomfortable for me. It never occurs to me to make romantic gestures. Ultimately it means I've never had a long term girlfriend, and I would only want one to conform to society's standards anyway.

I have been told that I might not have met the right person yet. I'm not offended by this at all, in part because I'm curious what romantic feelings are like.

hanyo
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 3:57 pm

Cai85 wrote:
I have been told that I might not have met the right person yet.

I don't remember if anyone told me that if they knew that I didn't have sex at all but plenty told me that I hadn't met the right man yet when I thought I might be gay.

Cai85
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 May 2013, 4:10 pm

hanyo wrote:
I don't remember if anyone told me that if they knew that I didn't have sex at all but plenty told me that I hadn't met the right man yet when I thought I might be gay.

I've been mistaken for gay before. It's an interesting dynamic when it happens.

*Woman assumes I'm gay.
*Women start hitting on me hard (so obvious even I don't miss the signs).
*I inform a woman I am willing to do something with her (while my sexuality is limited, I'm only interested in women that way).

At this point, the reactions vary. Some realize they were hitting very hard on a straight man and didn't mean it, others take me up on my offer, and at least once I've had someone feel like I can be trusted with every major secret she seemed to have.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2013, 4:38 pm

Cai85 wrote:
I've been mistaken for gay before.

Some people think that I'm a lesbian.
I guess that is because I've never been intersted in dating guys.
Actually, I'm neither interested in dating girls.
But people are weird.
Whatever...

freewaydog
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 May 2013, 4:45 pm

chlov wrote:
Cai85 wrote:
I've been mistaken for gay before.

Some people think that I'm a lesbian.
I guess that is because I've never been intersted in dating guys.
Actually, I'm neither interested in dating girls.
But people are weird.
Whatever...

Same w/ me.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 11:05 pm

I'm asexual but not sure if I'm aromatic or not. When I've been with guys doing guy talk I've just lied and pretended I wanted it. Now that I'm 32 and not in college or graduate school anymore It's even more awkward. Before I could pretend I was just putting it off. Now people are going to make assumptions. I don't know if I want to live alone my entire life though.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2016, 2:51 pm

FalsettoTesla wrote:
I've had similar things said to me (I'm an asexual in a relationship with another asexual person).

I disagree with your statement that it receives more discrimination than the LGBT population. I do not have things regularly shouted at me on the street because I'm asexual, but I do because I'm trans.

I'm not at any greater risk of being assaulted when I use a public bathroom because I'm asexual, but I am because I'm trans.

That doesn't mean the discrimination that the asexual population experiences isn't bad, it is. It's unacceptable.

I feel that you are at some form of risk for being asexual if the outside world perceives you as a female. Ever heard "I can fix that for you"? Surely there are a great deal of sexual advances that you might would receive for being out as an aro ace person or even just asexual in that manner. To me its the same thing as that so called "conversion therapy" that they try to do to "fix gays" they think that if they rape a female who claims to be asexual then she will like it. I believe its called "acephobia".

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

06 Dec 2016, 3:50 pm

marshall wrote:
I'm asexual but not sure if I'm aromatic or not. When I've been with guys doing guy talk I've just lied and pretended I wanted it. Now that I'm 32 and not in college or graduate school anymore It's even more awkward. Before I could pretend I was just putting it off. Now people are going to make assumptions. I don't know if I want to live alone my entire life though.

3 and half years make a lot of difference it doesn't it? Obviously not aromatic! :D Hope things are going well in Turkey, I think you made the right decision to pursue the relationship.

Magnus_Rex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2016, 8:06 pm

I think I am demisexual, which I hear is in the asexual spectrum, but I am not sure yet. I am trying to deal with a really confusing case of unrequited love/friendzoning/she-says-she-is-not-interested-in-new-friends-but-keeps-making-conversation-with-me-anyway, which does not help with figuring out my orientation (it is difficult to know for sure when you have no experience on the subject)...

Anyway, I have not told my family yet. My apparent "lack" of sexual orientation (it is an oversimplification, of course: I do have some libido, even if it is not what you expect from a 26 years old man. And I fell in love once before, back when I was 21) and my very obvious lack of sexual experience (I guess I could be classified as a semi-voluntary celibate?) are elephants in the living room for us.

Sorry for this terrible joke, by the way.

Zed90230
Raven
Raven

08 Jan 2017, 11:50 pm

What many non-asexuals fail to realize is that asexuals are not necessarily incapable of love... it's that we love differently. We don't need to have sex to express a need for emotional bonding.

GaiaXIX
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jan 2017, 3:36 am

I cannot agree more. There is actually three different type of attraction in what people commonly call love:

-Romantic attraction
-Sexual attraction
-Aesthetic attraction

Each people have preferences in all of those and from what I know, no one is like strictly heterosexual or asexual we are all on the Kinsley's scale determining or preference. So if like me yo are asexual it does not mean that you have no romantic or aesthetic attraction. For instance this is wrong to think because I am asexual I will not care about the appearance of a potential partner, it takes it place in the thing.

About the way asexual love, for my part everything is a matter of feelings. To me sex is like a myth I never understood the point of the thing it just appear me like a gross thing like licking someone else foot. The more I get informed about sex the less I can see why people are doing this weird thing but I am not judging but in my mind I see this more like a thing I would be afraid to try because I should be discuss about my partner after that and I someday I find someone that important to me I will not take that risk. So when I heard people talking about their sex experience I have to force myself to believe it because I really cannot figure how they could have idea like this. And if I still have difficulties to believe it I have learned it and accepted it but what I still have difficulties with is jealousy. I can understand a little why they want to be exclusive but I found ridiculous that it sometimes is a motive for breaking up (just my opignon). If I date a sexual men I will personally be happy if he sleep with an other girl or boy and I will not mind at all. To me it is an activity like getting to a bar or whatever. But Deep down I know that I am extremly extremly romantic maybe more than a large part of sexuals. Each asexual is different on this of course this is only my experience to make people understand

Zed90230
Raven
Raven

09 Jan 2017, 1:06 pm

I can only speak for myself, but having someone tell me how fantastic sex is, is like describing a beautiful sunset to a blind person.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2017, 8:02 pm

Zed90230 wrote:
I can only speak for myself, but having someone tell me how fantastic sex is, is like describing a beautiful sunset to a blind person.

That's one way of putting it :lol:
I unfortunately, when it comes to me, feel any sort of sexual advance towards me predatory or a demonstration of lack of interest for my character. The times I've had sex, I feel used after and not validated at all if anything just as uncomfortable as towards the buildup.

GaiaXIX
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jan 2017, 8:38 pm

TheSpectrum wrote:
I unfortunately, when it comes to me, feel any sort of sexual advance towards me predatory or a demonstration of lack of interest for my character.

Really? I feel so relieve reading this from a man because I feel the exact same way. That is why I stopped all contact with the other people (since I am studying ai there is a lot of males around and I usually have a lot of success) and after three years I could not handle it anymore. Before this experience I was very naive and innocent, now even when no one speak to me I can still feel what I call "sexual looks" everywhere and the more the time passed the more I saw the world as a jungle with predator everywhere and I would be prey (no one cares about who I am what I do my opignons, they just see a sex goal in me), it does not appear me as humanity anymore. I really hate it.