Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Disraeli
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 May 2013, 7:59 pm

I am going to graduate (in June) with a bachelor of Arts degree in History and Political Science, double honours, and I have been considering enlisting in the navy. I have always been interested in maritime history and come from a line of naval veterans on my mother's side of the family. Would this line of work be suited for someone with Asperger's - would i even be eligible to enlist if I had to disclose my disability - and what process would i have to go through in order to serve?

DrHouseHasAspergers
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 May 2013, 9:09 pm

You don't have to disclose anything if you're not officially diagnosed. Are you joining as an officer or enlisted? You'll have to talk to a recruiter about what you can do with your degree.
I am officially diagnosed so I explained it to the recruiter because I was unsure if it would disqualify me. He said he couldn't even tell I had it and an exception would be made since my AS is so mild.

Disraeli
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 May 2013, 9:17 pm

DrHouseHasAspergers wrote:
You don't have to disclose anything if you're not officially diagnosed. Are you joining as an officer or enlisted? You'll have to talk to a recruiter about what you can do with your degree.
I am officially diagnosed so I explained it to the recruiter because I was unsure if it would disqualify me. He said he couldn't even tell I had it and an exception would be made since my AS is so mild.

Yes, I am officially diagnosed. The closest recruitment office is in a city about 45 minutes away, so I would have to make a phone call.

DrHouseHasAspergers
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 May 2013, 9:39 pm

Disraeli wrote:

Yes, I am officially diagnosed. The closest recruitment office is in a city about 45 minutes away, so I would have to make a phone call.

If you're officially diagnosed then why does your profile say "not sure if I have it or not" for the diagnosis?

Disraeli
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 May 2013, 9:51 pm

Disraeli wrote:

If you're officially diagnosed then why does your profile say "not sure if I have it or not" for the diagnosis?

Because I never changed it ...?

DrHouseHasAspergers
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 May 2013, 10:01 pm

Disraeli wrote:
Disraeli wrote:

Because I never changed it ...?

Why don't you change it now? So other people don't get confused like I did.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2013, 11:05 pm

The AS might be a dealbreaker for the navy, I saw ages ago a document from the US army which stated along with a hose of other things that AS was a medical condition which would bar a person from joining up.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Disraeli
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 May 2013, 11:30 pm

Woodpecker wrote:
The AS might be a dealbreaker for the navy, I saw ages ago a document from the US army which stated along with a hose of other things that AS was a medical condition which would bar a person from joining up.

I don't live in the United States; but I have read that the US Navy is more discriminating abut medical conditions than other branches of the US armed forces.

glow
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 4:09 am

Disraeli wrote:
Woodpecker wrote:

I don't live in the United States; but I have read that the US Navy is more discriminating abut medical conditions than other branches of the US armed forces.

Ive heard things about the U.s being more discerning in their attempts to have an ordinary scenario where they wont have to pick up the pieces of others failing to do their job right.
Anyway, over here, if you do have a disability of some kind, I think they don't appreciate it if you tell them after your written tests when they might be passing on their bad news of you not getting to the 'medical' stages.
Only because they don't have time to be too discerning, as you're going off to the navy to serve and not waste officers or third ranking ship mates with your own tell of woe. they're not going to listen. even before I had my official diagnosis, I basically had to mention well, I actually have autistic traits, anyway, I just got a low blank stare which then ended in after she told me I feel sorry for you as you wanted to join, correct analysis btw, was if you try again on the third time, you will be considered third-ranking by your ship mates. not in terms of work she was saying but via written method .
Do I feel I have the perseverance to enter ship life now as I did then? not really.
my disabilities have long since gotten me down now what with one thing after another. Anyway, what s weird is that I nearly got to the medicals but mainly that my mothers family was air force and navy. so I m interested in both.
my eyesight isn't good though which you need in the air force as most of the jobs there are higher ranking.

DrHouseHasAspergers
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 May 2013, 10:15 am

Asperger's/Autism is generally a disqualifying condition for joining the armed forces. However, exceptions can be made if it's mild enough. I am diagnosed with AS and explained it to the recruiter because I was unsure if it would disqualify me. He said that since it was very mild it would not be a problem. I am going to boot camp this fall.

glow
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 11:19 am

So anyway, I have been on the air force site from some of my saved searches, although I had to do the questionnaire over again. (just as well) as I think that I prefer to start afresh. 8)
From what the test was showing me, is that I would be good as a musician and a photographer.
There are age limits on them though, like I think with being a budding photographer, you are bound by airwoman duties, as they require you to go with them more overseas and take part in risky endeavours no doubt, just to solidify patience with good practice, but I think it was the better option mainly because you can apply from 17 up to the age of 39. which is at this moment in time a good bet for me. :roll: the other one, musician, had its own methods of doubt, as I started thinking, hmm, in order to apply for this one I have to meet the bandmaster who isn't far from shepherds bush, but even then you need to take the main line over to there.
the other thing with it is its only applicable up to the age of 29.
With airwomen, they can leave the air force after a month if they give notice. Of course those options were good because my grades fit in with the requirements.
Given that I too have mild aspergers might be a given take on going for another remit; but I felt the programmes in the navy were far fewer for my capabilities than the ones in the air force.
however, im probably more suited to sea than on land.
Oh and with both forces there is a height limitation. For me I am just on the money at 5ft 2inches tall. sorry, they will not take you on in you fail to meet these standard targets.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/jobs/photographer.cfm exact stats on role
http://www.raf.mod.uk/careers/jobs/whichjobssuitme.cfm (the test)

http://c69011.r11.cf3.rackcdn.com/fd5f8 ... 31x163.jpg

(royal marines band instrument and training regime) better video input but more physical

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 2:42 pm

Disraeli wrote:
I am going to graduate (in June) with a bachelor of Arts degree in History and Political Science, double honours, and I have been considering enlisting in the navy. I have always been interested in maritime history and come from a line of naval veterans on my mother's side of the family.

This applies only to U.S. citizens or legal residents herein.

With credentials like that, a person could be eligible for Officer's Candidate School (OCS).

Disraeli wrote:
Would this line of work be suited for someone with Asperger's - would i even be eligible to enlist if I had to disclose my disability - and what process would i have to go through in order to serve?

As far as the Navy is concerned, self-diagnosis is no diagnosis.

Just go in with your college transcript, ask to speak with the recruiting officer (usually a Lieutenant), tell them that you want OCS, and sign nothing until you see OCS actually printed on the contract.

You may have to take the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) before signing up.

Good luck.

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2013, 3:29 pm

I got in the Royal Navy ok and was fine,

Its only when I questioned the morals of a system were the rich and powerful get the poor of various countries to kill each other that I decided it was not for me.

Feigning depression got me an appointment with a couple of Naval Psychiatrists, were upon with-in half an hour they described me as a "square peg in a round hole" and very promptly asked me to leave.

Back then Aspergers was unknown, it took professionals to detect I wasn't quite as ordinary as they would wish, if you behave yourself at the initial assessment, probably nobody would notice.