Any type of games or gameplay you don't like because of AS?

Page 3 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

sixstring
Toucan
Toucan

24 May 2013, 5:53 am

Glasskitten wrote:
I think my favorite genre is sandbox
I wouldn't really call sandbox a genre. It's more of a gameplay element.
As there are many different genres amongst sandbox games : Action (Arkham City for instance), crime sim (GTA), shooter (Borderlands), etc.

Andras
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2013, 5:21 pm

Before I begin, please write in bigger letters Glasskitten, my eyes all hurt now from reading size 9 letters! :cry:

Glasskitten wrote:
I also wonder if being a graphics whore is related to AS? Not as in, "Ooh, this game has more polygons and brown!" but more like, "This is so unbeautiful, I don't want to look at it long enough to play!" and "This game is utterly boring, but before I quit I'm going to run around the whole map and take screenshots of every type of ecosystem! And maybe some of the cloud formations and mana crystals! Huzzah!"
I have the exact opposite actually. Reason being that I'm mostly unaware of my surroundings in real life which means that in video games I barely notice all the pretty graphics and decorations.

Glasskitten wrote:
I think my favorite genre is sandbox, simply because it's more likely to let me do the arbitrary things I'd be trying to do anyway. "Save the princess, brave hero!" "Can't you see I'm collecting tigers?! Aww, what do you mean I can't build a tiger museum in the middle of Doom Island?! Now what am I supposed to do with this inventory full of tigers?? I already sorted them by color and shape!!"
I think you meant the genre Sandbox RPG's? It's a subgenre of RPG's. What game did you describe there anyway? Or did your imagination just go wild? :lol:

sixstring
Toucan
Toucan

24 May 2013, 6:39 pm

Andras wrote:
Before I begin, please write in bigger letters Glasskitten, my eyes all hurt now from reading size 9 letters! :cry:

Glasskitten wrote:
I think my favorite genre is sandbox, simply because it's more likely to let me do the arbitrary things I'd be trying to do anyway. "Save the princess, brave hero!" "Can't you see I'm collecting tigers?! Aww, what do you mean I can't build a tiger museum in the middle of Doom Island?! Now what am I supposed to do with this inventory full of tigers?? I already sorted them by color and shape!!"
I think you meant the genre Sandbox RPG's? It's a subgenre of RPG's. What game did you describe there anyway? Or did your imagination just go wild? :lol:
It's a not a subgenre of RPG's. It's an element featured in many different genres.

Andras
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2013, 6:07 am

sixstring wrote:
Andras wrote:

Glasskitten wrote:
It's a not a subgenre of RPG's. It's an element featured in many different genres.
Actually it is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game ... ndbox_RPGs

sixstring
Toucan
Toucan

25 May 2013, 7:20 am

So Batman : Arkham City is an RPG? GTA is an RPG? Red Dead Redemption is an RPG? Metal Gear Solid V is an RPG? Assassin's Creed is an RPG?
A genre is defined by the gameplay. Not the world it takes place in.

Andras
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2013, 8:08 am

sixstring wrote:
So Batman : Arkham City is an RPG? GTA is an RPG? Red Dead Redemption is an RPG? Metal Gear Solid V is an RPG? Assassin's Creed is an RPG?
No no! I never said EVERY sandbox game is an RPG. Only the ones that are actually considered RPG's.

I'm rather confused now actually if a sandbox game is a genre or not. I've been searching the internet about it and all them say that sandbox games are actually a genre! 8O

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2013, 10:15 am

sixstring wrote:
A genre is defined by the gameplay. Not the world it takes place in.

Classical, in a RPG (= Role play game) you switch into the role of a character and identifiy with it, by choosing on your own how you want to play that character, what you let him do, what desicions he does, how he behaves, how he develops by his experiences, ...

The more you can do so and the more freedom you have to do with the character what you want, and are not limited by scripted ways or story, the more you are free to roleplay. At least this is the definition of Role Play Games in the german area, and also in classic Pen and Paper roleplay like Dungeons and Dragons, that were the fathers of the computer role play game.

The more limits you are given when it comes to development of the character, desicions, go where you want, .... the less it is a RPG and there is a term for such wannabe RPGs: "railroading"-RPGs, which means that it has the optic of an RPG, but in reality you are stuck on a train and can experience a bit whats around you, but cant decide the direction the train goes.

So Sandbox is a term that is not only usable for RPG and the games you have listed are simply action Sandbox games (dont know for GTA3, havent played it, I hate games that force me to drive a car XD), but it simply means that you are in a game mostly free to go where you want. Be it a sportsgame, a racegame or whatever. But an RPG that doesnt let you decide where to go, is hardly an RPG, because how can you play the Role of a character, when the character simply cant do, what you want the character to do? So there are much more Genre that use sandboxareas, but an RPG without sandbox area is hardly an RPG, simply because you cant roleplay, when you are given no possibility of desicion. If they were normal RPGs, it wouldnt have been necessary to invent a own name for that genre of RPGs. Or as example for that Diablo related grind stuff: Action RPG and so on... (While for a classic RPG you dont need an additional name, its simply called RPG. ^^)

So both of you are right. There are more game-genres that support sandboxes then just RPG, but yes normally sandbox is a basic part of a typical roleplaygame, because roleplaying hardly works without it. (And no, its not new, you could play in that way already 1992. ^^)

BrandonSP
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2013, 5:07 am

Kurgan wrote:
Multiplayer games (or games where the single player campaign has been shortened to emphasize the multiplayer mode).

This. I'm really f*****g tired of the current trend in games to emphasize online multiplayer experiences over offline single-player games. Some games nowadays are impossible to enjoy if you're as much of a social recluse as I am. One recent example that I can name is Age of Empires Online, which sacrificed almost everything I liked about the original series (most of all the map editors) in favor of the mandatory online mode.

That said, I almost never play video or computer games anymore. My increased concentration on my art and writing seems to have distracted me from gaming in the last few years.

Liam93
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Jun 2013, 4:59 pm

I generally struggle with the more micromanagement based RTS games as I find it hard to multitask multiple things at once, however realistic or in depth RTS games I enjoy and am decent at such as Hearts of Iron and Wargame.

I generally prefer overly realistic games due to getting annoyed about pseudo-realism in lots of games, I like them as Arcade games or simulators, not really in between.

BrokenTrumpet
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Jun 2013, 5:03 pm

I have little interest in FPSs because I don't like the limited view, and little interest in sports games because I have little interest in sports.

What I do like is RPGs and strategy RPGs such as Pokemon, the older Paper Mario games, Pikmin, Fire Emblem... they often have enough flexibility that I can replay them again and again, usually with a self-imposed restriction. Platformers are also fun on occasion.