Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

meems
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 11:01 am

I just found out my cousin is definitely gay, and she isn't out of the closet entirely but she's definitely embracing this as what she is.

So then I was talking to my sister about it, and my sister told me my uncle dates both men and women. That uncle thinks I'm nothing but trouble. I am. He has his reasons, and it's not really about anything I did. I wish I could be like "HEY QUEER UNCLE WE'RE AMERICANS LET'S FIGHT FOR EQUALITY" but we do not get along.

ANYWAY my cousin and I set up a joint bank account to save money to move to Oregon next year, to get out of this area, and settle in maybe a better one, definitely one with better schools for her daughter.

This is surprisingly convenient, or was, and was surprising in general. Having someone I grew up with who completely GETS IT and isn't weird about it. Does anyone else have family that can relate?

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 1:06 pm

I really don't know. Since I'm intersex, am I queer? I guess so since I have male chromosomes and I like men, but I'm still not sure about that...

Anyway, my aunt is a butch lesbian. She and her partner were together since high school. Sadly, her partner died of cancer a few years back. I considered her partner to be my aunt, too. They had an amazing relationship.

I don't have contact with her anymore, though. It was necessary to do that in order to cut off some of my abusers.

WildTaltos
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2013, 2:31 pm

my familly membres scarcly diferentiate betwen lesbiann/gay/bisexul etc. etc. categorisatin mumbo jumbo - sex is sexx and dosnt maek much diference whethre doin it with men or women. Most of my family wuold probaly qualify as bisexul, though mostly with prefernce for the oposite sex, while its a smaler majourity taht wuold qualify as strctly gay or heterosexul - and thos who are usuly did experment with the same or oposite gender at frst befoer ariving at the conclusin they only liek a certain gender.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2013, 10:13 pm

I have two queer uncles and a queer cousin.

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 10:05 am

kouzoku wrote:
I really don't know. Since I'm intersex, am I queer? I guess so since I have male chromosomes and I like men, but I'm still not sure about that...

I'm intersex, and the way I see it intersex people can still be cis and straight. It relates more to the sex you assigned at birth and how much you identify with that.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2013, 11:41 am

I am gay.

I have only two LGBT-confirmed relatives. I have a gay cousin who lives in Utah. He and I have never met in person, but we do interact on Facebook. He's a retired Episcopal priest. I also have a bisexual cousin who lives closer and to whom I have a closer relationship.

I also have one relative whom I suspect could be "family" in the other sense of the word. She once specified on her Facebook profile that she was interested in both men and women, but that information is no longer there, and I have not asked her about it, nor do I intend to.

meems
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 8:12 pm

Descartes wrote:
I am gay.

I have only two LGBT-confirmed relatives. I have a gay cousin who lives in Utah. He and I have never met in person, but we do interact on Facebook. He's a retired Episcopal priest. I also have a bisexual cousin who lives closer and to whom I have a closer relationship.

I also have one relative whom I suspect could be "family" in the other sense of the word. She once specified on her Facebook profile that she was interested in both men and women, but that information is no longer there, and I have not asked her about it, nor do I intend to.

Mostly I just want to comment and say that I like your signature and it make me giggle.

Kjas
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2013, 9:36 pm

Only extended family members.

I have one uncle who is gay but hasn't told anybody. I have a (second) cousin who is lesbian, is open about it with everyone except her grandfather (because he is majorly homophobic - the same reason his son never told anyone) and she has introduced her girlfriend/partner to the family, her girlfriend is lovely.

Interesting enough we never talk about it. That's just who they are, I know about it but never mention it. I always knew about both growing up before they ever told anyone (or in my uncles case, before everybody realised) - but it's never been the type of thing we felt the need to talk about.

GeOrg
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 May 2013, 11:16 am

I'm not sure... my little sister has told my mother she has fallen in love with some of her female friends (I have to say she has a lot of courage because my mother really isn't the biggest fan of queers... my mum has admitted, though, that her first crush was a girl). Then my sister had a boyfriend but they broke up pretty soon. So I don't know. I'm not going to ask, she can tell me if she wants to.

My older sister is mainly straight, that's what she has told. My ex-boyfriend was suspecting my younger brother and my dad of being gay or bisexual but I don't think they are (even though my brother likes Oz pretty much and neither of them seems not to be very keen on the traditional roles of man). My older brother probably isn't gay or bisexual, I'm quite sure about that.

I have a bit queer family, now that I think about it.

That is meaningless to me
-The Ark