Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

little_black_sheep
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

16 May 2013, 5:12 pm

cakey wrote:
I also think rationality is a plus. I know too much of girls who give up everything for love and end up being hurt or losing everything they gave up. They needed to rationalize first if it was reasonable to give up everything in the first place..

I have seen that happen so many times and I always wondered what's got into them. I even told my friends that it would be in their best interest not to give up everything for "love", but they never listen and do it anyway - no matter how predictable the disaster is. I decided just to let them do what they must do and be prepared and kind when they come to me crying after they have been hurt. It is difficult sometimes not to mention that we talked about the likelyhood of exactly this scenario and that maybe next time she should be more cautious.

If that is love I am quite afraid I have never been in love and never will.

Every morning in Africa, an antelope wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion, or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest antelope, or it will starve. It doesn't matter if you're

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2013, 6:25 pm

little_black_sheep wrote:
So what do you think? Is our rationality our strength or our weakness?

In an irrational, illogical, and often idiotic world, rationality can have both positive and negative effects.

The positive:
Able to think things through clearly based on the information at hand.
Usually can solve complex problems with simple solutions.
Able to show (some people) the logical reasoning you have and why it should be taken as advice.

The Negative:
People often see logicity as egocentric or "high and mighty" as some would call it.
A lot of people seem to think that there are multiple kinds of logic or that logic depends on "personal truth", when the reality is that logic must follow only one pattern to it's solution, which is why it's logical to begin with.
When people are proven wrong with logic, they tend to lash out at the person who disproved them by commenting on how the logician uses intelligence "as a weapon" against those who cannot understand the length of the logical construct.
People who talk about logic often come under fire from people who believe the negatives.

In the end, it is a double edged sword (as it were), and like all things in these humans' society, it should be applied only to certain people for the best effect.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

16 May 2013, 7:06 pm

Jaden wrote:
A lot of people seem to think that there are multiple kinds of logic or that logic depends on "personal truth", when the reality is that logic must follow only one pattern to it's solution, which is why it's logical to begin with.

On the contrary, logic is extremely vulnerable to the principle of "garbage in, garbage out" or GIGO. Using logic does not always lead one through only one pattern to a correct solution, as much of it is dependent upon actual facts as contrasted with what the person believes to be factual. Logic as a process is quite abusable - and often abused by people of any neurology including those diagnosed with AS or other ASDs.

The belief that logic is objectively rational seems to lead many to refuse to question their own logic, as terrible as it might be.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

Vomelche
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2013, 7:20 pm

Sometimes going with your emotions or impulses and ignoring rationale can be quite a thrill.

Scia
Raven
Raven

16 May 2013, 7:58 pm

Emotions have their place, but as a whole I believe that rationality is under appreciated in modern culture.

It's also possible to use your emotions rationally. Have you read (or at least heard of) books such as Emotional Intelligence (by Daniel Goleman) and How To Hug a Porcupine (by Dr. John Lund)? They can be pretty helpful. Emotional Intelligence is also pretty interesting if you want to learn about the kinds of things that happen in your brain when emotion is involved. It's a bit of heavy read, so if you'd prefer something lighter, Kim Cooper made a parody called Emotional Stupidity that teaches the practice more than the brain stuff and aims more for humor.