Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Wrongbilly
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 May 2013, 6:05 pm

BlodBrainBarry wrote:
Been pondering for a while on the following: looks & personality.
When asked which is more important, I have observed that those who respond with the former are deemed shallow, while those who respond with the latter are applauded for having their priorities straight. I am here concerned with what I perceive to be fundamental similarities between the two:

Both are mostly determined by exterior factors, & both are manipulated by the individual.

Which is to say that while one may be born looking a certain way, one can do much to alter how others perceive them - for example: the application of make-up, surgery, selection of clothing, the distribution of photographs that portray the subject in a flattering manner. Likewise, while one is born with & later develops certain personality traits, one can carefully control their behavior - I believe all of human interaction can be taken as an example here.

Therefore, can the same rules be applied to personality as looks. Is it shallow to favor the subject's personality when it is probable that they have tampered with it to impress, if not you, then anyone who may be observing.

Expand -

That seems preposterous that the two could ever be thought of as having any similarity. Plastic surgery aside, people are born with/without looks being good or otherwise. Subjectively beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I have found females to be attractive and vice versa that others do not see the same way.
Personalities cannot be faked, except in the very short term. Your personality will show the moment you feel comfortable and relaxed.
So, in short I would say, looks are on the outside but personality comes from within.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 7:14 pm

personality shows up on the outside in terms of a person's appearance, also.

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 8:03 pm

Behavior and personality are not the same thing. Like looks, behavior can be altered on a short-term basis, but personality, vague though the concept may be, is generally perceived as something that is more or less innate and permanent, and only parts of it could be changed long-term, with a lot of work, at best.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 8:28 pm

personality and behavior are one of those "which is the cart/which is the horse?" kinda things.

spongy
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 11:08 pm

Starting a thread based on a locked thread is not cool