Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

HFAgirl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 May 2013, 10:52 pm

I want to know if there are any other individuals with autism and Aspergers who are into cartoon characters. I'm a 21 year old college student who loves Hello Kitty, Disney Princess, Nickelodeon characters and other "childlike" characters. I know I'm a little old to be liking these characters but it brings me great happiness and joy and it's who I am. My love of cartoons is not effecting my school performance since I do very well in school. I also don't see the big deal with having immature interest since I'm not hurting anyone with it.

Amberlena
Toucan
Toucan

14 May 2013, 11:07 pm

I love cartoon characters. Most of my favorite ones are from Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network.

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2013, 11:49 pm

As a middle aged male, I can watch most Miyazaki films with pleasure - their child-like point of view is calming.

Quote:
I also don't see the big deal with having immature interest since I'm not hurting anyone with it.

I don't see a problem with that.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 12:04 am

I'm old school, so it's wolves and cats with their eyes popping out that does it for me. Also, a little Bugs Bunny, Wile E. Coyote and Rocky & Bullwinkle now and then makes me laugh.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 12:39 am

I like Bugs Bunny.

PresidentPorpoise
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 May 2013, 12:45 am

I'm in my 20s and I think "Adventure Time" is one of the best shows on TV right now. There's nothing that unusual about an adult liking cartoons. And simply judging from the number of users on here who have a "Calvin and Hobbes" or "My Little Pony" or manga/anime avatar, I would say that there's probably plenty of people on the spectrum who like cartoon characters.

donothing1979
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 May 2013, 12:55 am

now... what's wrong with cartoons? if there was something wrong with it, then the entire animation department of the university that i work in is filled with deviants.

there's so much that goes into cartoons, and even an adult can enjoy cartoons. to what degree, i don't know... that's per individual. i've sat and watched tons of cartoons. i don't think that it's anything abnormal.

my recent favorites are Adventure Time/Bravest Warriors, the Amazing World of Gumball, Regular Show (i feel so dumb after watching this...), Archer, Unsupervised, Chowder, et cetera...

... then classics! Ren and Stimpy, The Simpsons, Old Warner Brothers cartoons... many, many others... i'm even in to the Ub Iwerks Studios and other lesser known animations from the old days. this is one of my favorie cartoonists of all time: WIndsor McKay:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-9FIFDHjLg[/youtube]

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 3:03 am

[quote="donothing1979"]

to the Ub Iwerks Studios and other lesser known animations from the old days. this is one of my favorie cartoonists of all time: WIndsor McKay:

Is that pre- or post Disney? "Ub" was behind a lot of the technical innovations in animation that The Disney Studio came up with back in the day.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 4:39 am

I love Sid from Flushed Away because I'm a lot like him, minus the spiked hair and leather jacket. :O)

appletheclown
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 5:56 am

Osmosis Jones 8)

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 6:24 am

The early cartoons are fascinating because they were, likecomputer animation today, a possibility to experiment with reality free from the limitations of natural forms and principles.
I love their absurdities, even though they sometimes are quite uncanny.

donothing1979
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 May 2013, 9:17 am

Meistersinger wrote:
donothing1979 wrote:

to the Ub Iwerks Studios and other lesser known animations from the old days. this is one of my favorie cartoonists of all time: WIndsor McKay:

Is that pre- or post Disney? "Ub" was behind a lot of the technical innovations in animation that The Disney Studio came up with back in the day.

i believe it was post-disney.

Jensen wrote:
The early cartoons are fascinating because they were, likecomputer animation today, a possibility to experiment with reality free from the limitations of natural forms and principles.

there was a steep learning curve involved for both animator and spectator in those early days. as far as computer animation, you'll have to be clearer on what you mean: most 2D/Trad animation is done in programs like After Effects and Toon Boom nowadays. Toon Boom is a fantastic program, and huge companies use it, but i have only used it in very limited amounts of time. i use After Effects, mostly for 2D animation and motion graphics, but i'm verging into Processing, which is less of an animation program and more of a programming IDE. i think interactivity really is the way to go, and you can't get much interactivity with working in AE or Toon Boom.

Last edited by donothing1979 on 15 May 2013, 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 9:23 am

Absolutely!

Wrongbilly
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 May 2013, 10:13 am

I think my avatar might give me away.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2013, 10:26 am

donothing1979 wrote:
Meistersinger wrote:
donothing1979 wrote:

Jensen wrote:

there was a steep learning curve involved for both animator and spectator in those early days. as far as computer animation, you'll have to be clearer on what you mean: .

I don´t know too much, and I just meant, that the possibility of realizing visions/fantasies totally liberated from the limits of actual material possibilities was just as exiting for them in those days, as 3D animation is for us today.

MasterGamer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 May 2013, 7:21 pm

I love cartoons. Most of my favorites have long since been canceled though. :/