Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

blue_bean
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2013, 8:44 am

The double whammy is that the govt won't provide women with contraception pills while deployed.

The army doesn't pay a high enough starting salary for my liking anyway ($600/wk).

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2013, 10:24 am

meems wrote:
That documentary made me so grateful I didn't join the Air Force when I was 18. So grateful.

Dear Meems,
Tell me about it! I cursed myself for years because I never went. I figured I could get a free education from it. (1970's) Two people talked me out of it and I had this sort of attitude toward them - like they were just being pretentious because I was female. Circumstances at the moment got in my way of going. I AM grateful now!! The first guy was my friend's father. He was in the Army. He told me that the only girl who could survive in the military was either a whore or an ex-junkie. To be blunt, he said that the dykes would be the VERY least of my worries and that the men would surely hurt me. His bluntness stopped there. His face alone scared me half to death. He was almost outraged when I said I wanted to enlist.
His eyes alone were VERY persuasive. The second was a young guy in the navy. I used to live near the Philadelphia Naval Base and would meet lots of these young guys at a local park. He said I must be crazy to even think of such a thing. He called my attention to the difference between him and his friends and some of the other rather morally filthy sailors that hung at at that park. It made sense. He advised me to stay away from that park as well. But as time went buy, my girlish fantasies took over. I still didn't enlist but always had that longing until that documentary. I feel a tremendous compassion for these brave women but the documentary set me free from the torturous "could'ves, should'ves, and would'ves". I probably "would've" been me in that documentary. How unfortunate. As a young teen, I remember seeing three or more enlisted females and feeling like they had something to say when I would ask them questions, but yet something inside them silenced them - it was shame/fear. Another thing, a while back the "center city rapist" (Philadelphia) was in the news. He was caught after enlisting in the Army. Horrible things have happened to women that were near soldiers/military bases. And worse to those that were living on military bases.

Last edited by RightGalaxy on 16 May 2013, 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2013, 10:35 am

LKL wrote:
The guy that the Air Force put in charge of reducing rape and harassment, just got charged with sexual assault. So it may be fair to say that the upper 'brass' still don't get it.

No. They GET it. They just don't think it applies to them.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2013, 10:40 am

meems wrote:
I think the topic was rape, not "getting laid".

And to think that I put this post in Women's Discussions. Yet some don't know the difference between consensual sex and downright rape. What is this world coming to? What is Wrong Planet coming to? My sympathy goes out to those who made a joke out of my post. They can't relate until it directly happens to them - what a shame!! What a total lack of compassion. :x

meems
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2013, 10:42 am

RightGalaxy wrote:
LKL wrote:
The guy that the Air Force put in charge of reducing rape and harassment, just got charged with sexual assault. So it may be fair to say that the upper 'brass' still don't get it.

No. They GET it. They just don't think it applies to them.

I think they just don't believe it's a serious crime. Lots of people in that documentary accused those women of asking for it, said they were whores, etc. There are just a lot of men(and women) who think rape isn't a matter of a victim and a perpetrator, like it's not even a serious crime or a serious issue.

And the military is like less than 15% women, so there is also a really high incidence of male on male rape, and they treat the victim like he's a homosexual and it's degrading if he admits to being raped.

It's rape culture.

kouzoku
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2013, 10:42 am

Sex is rampant in the military. I understand being stressed and all, but that's no excuse to violate another human being.

When I was young, I wanted to join the Air Force. But I wear glasses and am now losing my vision completely, so ... it wouldn't have worked out. Plus, after learning about Hiroshima and Nagasaki...that kind of ruined things for me. (Because of my ancestry, not anything political; I don't want to have a political argument here, ugh).

Basically, I just wanted to fly around in a cool plane - I was too young to understand that war is about killing people lol... I'm a natural healer and could never do it.

Now, I could be a pilot who just delivers food and medicine to people who need it. That would be an awesome job!

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2013, 11:11 am

A very good friend of mine's career was in the Air Force. She's retired now and she loved it. Doesn't have a bad thing at all to say about it.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

PsychoSarah
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2013, 11:17 am

I take medications in order to function. Even if I went insane and suddenly wanted to be in the military, I couldn't.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2013, 1:52 pm

I saw this on CNN the other day:

Invisible War