Page 60 of 93 [ 1480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 93  Next

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 10:08 am

I think I'll watch Chi's Sweet Home for a change of pace.

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 12:49 pm

Watching Hyakko! again. So funny!

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 1:18 pm

What's this series about? Junjou Romantica? Is it any good? Just looking at the main character, it's hard to tell whether it's a typical romance or not.

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 9:40 pm

Kuraudo7777 wrote:
What's this series about? Junjou Romantica? Is it any good? Just looking at the main character, it's hard to tell whether it's a typical romance or not.

Well I don’t know by what yard stick you go by for ‘typical romance’, because at the very least it is clearly BL (Boy Love). Taking a gander at the Wikipedia page, apparently there is plot points where at the first season one boy is 19, while the other is 28, an author erotic BL himself and a tutor of the younger character. Up to tastes I guess if that is alright.

I have seen a BL series that only had a little bit of rape like themes, of which is apparently fairly common in the genre, and was not too bad with them being closer to peers. While I saw another that was super creepy with it starting off with one being a man with the other a minor, and the man doing things that practically had him in the role of parent. Otherwise I don’t know a lot about BL anime.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2017, 9:47 pm

I like Fumi Yoshinaga, so I got Antique Bakery. In her manga, Not Love But Delicious Food, she writes a scene where a friend comes out to her and she apologizes for anything she got wrong in her BL manga. He replies with something like, I can't let stuff like that bother me as a gay man in Japan. Antique Bakery certainly has some disturbing moments, but the underlying psychology seems sound in that scene.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 1:11 pm

^^Oh. I thought the main character was a girl, thanks to how Bishonen he looks. :oops: Oops.
"Only a little bit" of rape-like themes?! Gah. :skull:
I don't know much about Boys Love manga/anime, either...

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2017, 6:56 pm

Cardia
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Jul 2017, 10:32 pm

Bradleigh wrote:

Ah, Lucky Star! My very first slice-of-life anime, a classic :D It was around that time that I began watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya as well.

Wolf's Rain was the first anime that I got into, aside from the Sailor Moon and Cardcaptors dubs. Then it was Death Note, Elfen Lied, Chobits, Chrono Crusade, Gurren Lagann... the list goes on! :heart:

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2017, 9:36 am

My latest book would kind of work as an anime.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2017, 10:27 pm

I just remembered Squid Girl. I would probably enjoy watching it again.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 12:34 pm

Is the Tales of Symphonia anime any good?

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2017, 5:22 pm

jrjones9933 wrote:
I just remembered Squid Girl. I would probably enjoy watching it again.

Squid Girl forever.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 1:54 am

De Geso!

Anyway, I have been watching all the new shows, in general I have kind of felt a little disappointed, but there have been some noticeable stuff.

First, the show that seems to have made the biggest storm of interest, Made in Abyss, undoubtedly the best first episode of the season, which should earn recommendations to check that out. It has this charming sort of childlike tone to it, with an eye-catching design, and a good understanding of organic storytelling that nothing feels forced. There is a slight but, something that could be a positive or negative, there is a slight feeling that this might be a dark one, with hints from people familiar with it saying things along the lines that it can get quite gruesome.

Something else that has I think has started out as pretty notable is Princess Principal, which by name alone was turning people off, I too did not expect much, but it has actually started off surprisingly good. A Victorian like setting steam punk show with spies, which it actually manages to pair with its cute female cast fairly well. Other anime have done steampunk before, but I can’t think of one that did the Victorian like setting quite right.

Action Heroine Cheer Fruits, managed to also pull off a surprisingly good first episode, with its story of high school girls doing child hero live shows. It does not look anything special, it might devolve after this, but for a first episode it managed to do a surprisingly good amount of heart.

Love and Lies started off feeling a little iffy, that it might get quite… troubling, with its story of government picked partners, where the main character was already in love with a girl. But after the second episode I am actually feeling quite good about it, which came down to the secondary heroine being surprisingly good.

One that is maybe more to my tastes, but I think that I like what Vatican Miracle Examiner is setting itself up as. Which I am kind of a fan of horror, especially the likes of The Conjuring, which this kind of looks like it might have, with the Catholic church looking into a sort of ghost or demon like settings, or at least some sort of shady business. Also brining to mind the likes of Ghost Hunt, a rare anime that managed to actually be creepy.

And A Centaur's Life, also I think promises to be interesting. Monster girls have kind of had I think a bit of a boom in recent years, and has been kind of surprising that more shows have not tried to get in, but this does seem to have some promise.

Also, fourth season of Senki Zesshou Symphogear (AXZ) has been as fun as ever.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 5:51 pm

I was disappointed with the first episode of the 2nd season of New Game!. I hope it gets better. I want more Nene Sakura and Umiko. Those two together rule.

CzigBot

12 Jul 2017, 7:24 pm

Recently finished the Blame manga and movie, one of the strangest and most interesting settings I've ever seen. Just about to watch Ghost In The Shell 2:Innocence

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2017, 7:41 pm

I was worried with this second season that Nene obviously could not have the same role she had in the first season, and I think that she clearly earned a place in the show. So I am somewhat happy that Nene has started some role where she might stay relevant, and with Umiko.