Page 75 of 93 [ 1480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78 ... 93  Next

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 12:21 am

Toru and I eat paper books also.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 4:20 am

Enigmatic_Oddity wrote:
All true, I suppose I wasn't even thinking of physical media. You could after all watch it all on a dedicated streaming platform for a fraction of the price and get a lot more value.

I've tried online anime streaming services but I always feel so guilty about subscribing to them to the point of having panic attacks. I feel bad because I'm the only person in my house who watches anime, and I don't really watch it often enough to warrant a subscription. On the other hand, I always feel a sense of peace and happiness whenever I purchase a series, whether it be on Steam or on DVD (I'm able to afford DVDs when I buy them used from Amazon).

For some reason my brain thinks that buying a series = good and streaming = bad. I realize that that's kind of irrational thinking, but I have panic disorder and OCD so I'm used to my emotions running roughshod over logic and common sense.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2018, 12:04 pm

It makes sense to me. I either buy an anime series/anime movie, or I try [often unsuccessfully] to find Japanese--English subbed versions on Youtube.

I'm aiming to buy the Persona 3 and Persona 4 manga series at some point. They're nearly $20 a volume at the moment. >.<

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2018, 6:09 am

I have a Crunchyroll subscription, it is about $7 a month, and I get legal access to a huge amount of anime, including anything new, in good quality with professional subtitles. They have a very large selsection, and I have been seeing them get more and more that I assume were Funimation stuff, like just got Moonphase, and more than Kiznaiver they just seemed to have the dubbed version up also, which is sort of new for them. I get access to it on a lot of platforms too with my account, not just on my computer, but via apps on my tablet, Xbox One, and PS4. Especially with my Xbox I have a remote, so it can make watching anime pretty much as seamless as if I had it on discs, my internet is not even that great, that I would have thought the 1080p quality I get would not be able to be handled, but it loos and works great.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2018, 2:47 pm

Same. Paying $24 USD for the privilege to stream a single show on one platform seems very expensive to me, in comparison. At that price I'd personally want physical media with a nice box and artwork.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2018, 4:48 pm

I might have to try crunchyroll out. Youtube doesn't have much.

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2018, 1:17 pm

Crunchyroll is cheaper than just the shelves I'd need.

Also, if it helps, I felt like trying more series by looking at the tags and reading forums and reviews. It took me a week to start maximizing the value of my subscription.

On the other end, I should have set a rule that I would cancel it after a couple of weeks of not using it. Still cost-effective, even given my procrastination.

Also, I have like three bookcases full of anime and manga already, which certainly cost more than $2K all told. Almost as much as my textbooks, which only take up a couple of shelves.

Nekomonster
Toucan
Toucan

14 Feb 2018, 8:40 am

Me every time:

Random people: "Hey, this is a good anime."
Me: "Okay, I'll check it out!"
*puts said anime off for months or even years until finally getting to it*

Me: "Why did no one tell me this series was this good?"

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2018, 4:32 pm

I decided to see how many characters I recognize in this video:

So far:
0.13 = Tomoya, Nagisa, Ushio, and Fuko [Clannad]
0.36 = Yona and her father [Yona of the Dawn]
0.57: It looks like Sakura and her father to me; if not, please correct me [Cardcaptor Sakura]
2.08 = Sayuki and Akiko [Kanon]
2:28 = Misuzu and Haruha [AIR]
4.13 = Hana, her husband, Ame, and Yuki [Wolf Children]
4.44 = It looks like Sakura and her mother to me; if not, please correct me [Cardcaptor Sakura]
4.48 = Inuyasha and Kagome [Inuyasha]
5.06 = Otonashi and Kanade/Tenshi [Angel Beats]

What about you guys?

Stompgal
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Feb 2018, 6:30 am

I really like anime. The first one I took a liking to was Pokémon when I was 12 and it became immensely popular in the UK plus worldwide at that time. I used to watch it when it aired on Sky One and Pikachu has been my favourite Pokémon ever since.

When I hit my twenties however (I’m 30 but 31 in May) I started to like Studio Ghibli films such as Spirited Away, My Neighbour Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service. The last two Ghibli films I watched were When Marnie Was There with my mother over Christmas when she recorded it from the TV and Ponyo by myself on DVD.

I also like magical girl/shojo anime such as Sailor Moon (although I haven’t seen all episodes in full yet), Tokyo Mew Mew (I watched the English dub known as Mew Mew Power when it was broadcast on the now defunct Pop Girl TV channel) and Powerpuff Girls Z (although I prefer the original Powerpuff Girls series, I still enjoyed the anime adaptation).

Recently I have watched a lot of anime-themed countdown videos on channels such as WatchMojo, MsMojo and Anime America. These videos had themes such as anime clichés, anime girl groups (e.g. the Sailor Scouts) and anime for all ages.

Nekomonster
Toucan
Toucan

18 Feb 2018, 5:58 pm

Stompgal wrote:
I really like anime. The first one I took a liking to was Pokémon when I was 12 and it became immensely popular in the UK plus worldwide at that time. I used to watch it when it aired on Sky One and Pikachu has been my favourite Pokémon ever since.

When I hit my twenties however (I’m 30 but 31 in May) I started to like Studio Ghibli films such as Spirited Away, My Neighbour Totoro and Kiki's Delivery Service. The last two Ghibli films I watched were When Marnie Was There with my mother over Christmas when she recorded it from the TV and Ponyo by myself on DVD.

I also like magical girl/shojo anime such as Sailor Moon (although I haven’t seen all episodes in full yet), Tokyo Mew Mew (I watched the English dub known as Mew Mew Power when it was broadcast on the now defunct Pop Girl TV channel) and Powerpuff Girls Z (although I prefer the original Powerpuff Girls series, I still enjoyed the anime adaptation).

Recently I have watched a lot of anime-themed countdown videos on channels such as WatchMojo, MsMojo and Anime America. These videos had themes such as anime clichés, anime girl groups (e.g. the Sailor Scouts) and anime for all ages.

I highly recommend Princess Tutu! I wouldn't be surprised it was on a WatchMojo list, but it's a phenomenal fantasy series with some magical girl elements and Ghibli-esque storytelling elements.

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2018, 11:23 pm

Cardcaptor Sakura and Magica Madoka are essential viewing within the magical girl genre. Cardcaptor Sakura is a classic, starting its run almost 22 years ago. But it has just started a new season. Madoka Magica is much more recent, with a TV and movie series.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 2:54 pm

I decided early on not to watch Madoka. Too depressing.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 3:51 pm

Kuraudo7777 wrote:
I decided early on not to watch Madoka. Too depressing.

I guess, somewhat fair. But you are doing a disservice as a fan of magical Girl stuff, or an anime fan in general, if you avoid watching Madoka. Sure, it is not all happy, but an actual struggle you might find surprisingly engaging, and is very well made. Like it or not, it made itself one of the most influential magical girl anime and anime in general.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 4:00 pm

It has too much nightmare fuel for my liking, just from looking at screenshots. [This from someone who has all 27 volumes of Claymore...]

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2018, 6:04 pm

Maybe looking at the screenshots you have seen nightmare like landscapes, those in particular can be essentially when they go into nightmare lands to take out monsters, the sort of thing magical girls should do. But there is the presentation, where the franchise uses symbolism in its environment, might seem ominous, but it is not anything so scary, rather than something setting the mood.

Yes, there are a couple disturbing things in the series, but they are not disturbing for their own sake, rather they do what magical girl shows have always done, be about growing up. About the struggles you come across that can feel like a weight. But there is a reason Madoka is up front and centre, she is a really kind character who is always hopeful, she proves nothing comes from giving up, and by the end you may see that there is hope that you can make everyone happy, that you can chase away bad things. I don’t there is really any gore at all, I think that there are maybe a few places with a bit of blood, but none of that I think is in a disturbing way.

Please don’t mistake Puella Magi Madoka Magica as just a senseless nightmare inducing experience, that uses its young female cast to simply create shock value. Because, not everything in the world is rainbows, but Madoka is about making your best effort. One such theme may be to think things through and not jump into something you don’t understand or trust the wrong person, but it also has not always assume someone is the worst before you get to know them, that you can be surprised by someone’s depths. You should always extend a hand to help someone who needs it, as long as you are not hurting yourself.

If you think that you will actually be scared, maybe it is not right for me to try and force you to watch it. But, I promise it is not all about nightmare fuel. It is actually really good, and a creative piece, that one may find surprisingly engaging.