Page 79 of 93 [ 1480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82 ... 93  Next

Gallia
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2018, 10:14 am

re watching welcome to the NHK - what a classic

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2018, 3:22 pm

Recently watched some Studio Ghibli films "When Marnie was There", "The Wind Rises", and "Just Yesterday". They were pretty good films.

advertisingfan123 wrote:
Trying to get into anime, slowly buy surely. I don't want to see anything with a lot of sexual fanservice in it, and the database entries on Anime News Network don't really inform me other than saying stuff like "objectionable content: Significant" and stuff like that.

Try to get into some classics, like "Magic Knight Rayearth", ".hack//Sign", some Studio Ghibli films, like "Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind", and the ones I mentioned above.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2018, 4:27 pm

advertisingfan123 wrote:
Trying to get into anime, slowly buy surely. I don't want to see anything with a lot of sexual fanservice in it, and the database entries on Anime News Network don't really inform me other than saying stuff like "objectionable content: Significant" and stuff like that.

They're useless in that regard. The best you can do is look for shows you think you'll like, and avoid tags like fanservice, for things you dislike.

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2018, 11:42 pm

advertisingfan123 wrote:

I'm not really into anime myself. But I actually found one I liked. It's called Aggretsuko. It's about a 25 year old red panda who works at a office job and she hates it. So too relive stress she sings death metal. And if you're wondering it's from the same company behind Hello Kitty. But this show is for adults and not little girls. Really worth a watch. And has a great sense of humor. But the show is a Netflix Original. So Netflix is the only way you can watch the show. Just saying that just in case you don't have Netflix.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2018, 12:48 am

Corny wrote:
advertisingfan123 wrote:

I'm not really into anime myself. But I actually found one I liked. It's called Aggretsuko. It's about a 25 year old red panda who works at a office job and she hates it. So too relive stress she sings death metal. And if you're wondering it's from the same company behind Hello Kitty. But this show is for adults and not little girls. Really worth a watch. And has a great sense of humor. But the show is a Netflix Original. So Netflix is the only way you can watch the show. Just saying that just in case you don't have Netflix.

Ok which animes of the ones talked about in this thread are for little girls? None I bet.

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2018, 12:55 am

thewrll wrote:
Corny wrote:
advertisingfan123 wrote:

Ok which animes of the ones talked about in this thread are for little girls? None I bet.

I never said any were. I was talking about how Aggretsuko is made by the same company behind Hello Kitty and Hello Kitty is for little girls while Aggretsuko is for adults. And you should check the show out anyways. It’s pretty hilarious.

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2018, 1:01 am

thewrll wrote:
Corny wrote:
advertisingfan123 wrote:

By the way here’s one of the funniest clips from the show.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2018, 1:07 am

advertisingfan123 wrote:

You would probably have to ask someone who has is familiar with it. If you are curious, post any questions and I could give an idea about it, I am most familiar with shows from the last several years. Maybe google image search the title, along with "fanservice" to see if much comes up.

I am actually pretty active in the forums of Anime News Network, at least in the series discussion area. And if there are examples of things you like and are looking for, I might be able to give recommendations. Without really knowing what your tastes are, other than not wanting sexual fanservice, I might just say a few general things.

Don't be afraid of "moe" shows, these are ones with a general cuter style, but it does not at all mean that they will have sexual fanservice. A good baseline anime in that regards is K-ON, which for a while was sort of thought as bad in being too easy, but more recently received some appreciation for being generally a well made show, that uses its medium effectively, with a good understanding of beats. Comedies are probably some of the other best bets. In general it is not surprising to have some fanservice show up, even ones aimed at female audience can be okay and maybe just get a different look at fanservice. Not itself a fanservice show, or strictly aimed at female audience, but I Monthly Shoujo Nozaki-kun is a personal favourite that might give some interesting perspective.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2018, 1:24 am

thewrll wrote:

Shows I am currently watching that I could say for little girls, would probably be Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card, and I could probably see Puzzle & Dragons Cross fitting.

As for the show being talked about, I have been hearing a strange amount of good things mentioned recently for Aggretsuko recently, so I feel like I should put aside some time to check it out some time, it somehow missing me. I am actually familiar with some stuff by the company that brings Hello Kitty, with for example a show called Show By Rock, not aimed at small children. By the sounds of it, it looks like something especially at the adult audience.

I had heard some interesting things a while back, that it really looks like a market for adult cantered shows is really growing. And not in the way of a bunch of adult assassins, but stories about characters working, or maybe even families. An example of this season being Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku.

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2018, 1:27 am

Bradleigh wrote:
thewrll wrote:

Shows I am currently watching that I could say for little girls, would probably be Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card, and I could probably see Puzzle & Dragons Cross fitting.

As for the show being talked about, I have been hearing a strange amount of good things mentioned recently for Aggretsuko recently, so I feel like I should put aside some time to check it out some time, it somehow missing me. I am actually familiar with some stuff by the company that brings Hello Kitty, with for example a show called Show By Rock, not aimed at small children. By the sounds of it, it looks like something especially at the adult audience.

I had heard some interesting things a while back, that it really looks like a market for adult cantered shows is really growing. And not in the way of a bunch of adult assassins, but stories about characters working, or maybe even families. An example of this season being Wotakoi: Love is Hard for Otaku.

About Aggretsuko. It’s the only anime that I really watched and liked. Is there other ones like it? And yes the show is definitely for adults. You can tell it is by the YouTube I posted with my personal favorite clips from the show.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2018, 4:51 am

Corny wrote:
About Aggretsuko. It’s the only anime that I really watched and liked. Is there other ones like it? And yes the show is definitely for adults. You can tell it is by the YouTube I posted with my personal favorite clips from the show.

I checked the clip out, and I am certainly interested now. As for similar, I will probably have to watch more to get a more in depth idea, anime can be surprisingly varied, but I can maybe think of a couple that might possibly appeal.

Perhaps not the same, it is pretty out there, but there is Inferno Cop. I might just be thinking so because it is particularly silly, and not too constrained by what an anime should be. It also starts off something one would call the Trigger shows.

For office comedy, what comes to mind is Servant x Service, which against what might be suspected is about civil servants with various quirks. Although, it may come across as typical, largely being the office job version of a restaurant anime which has the more high school cast.

Animal side, I Kemono Friends comes to mind, which although I suspect may not have a bit that you want, it is quite accessible to children in a way. It kind of made a name for itself as being a low budget phenomenon, that things like its child like nature, and earnest energy for animals, ended up as a plus to adult audience, along with a surprising hidden nature that an adult audience will probably catch onto. The animation starts out unimpressive, that many get turned away, and although the animation itself does not change much, by three episodes those who may have been turned away may actually find it charming.

But, you said you only have the one show you have been interested in, so most of my recommendations may be useless due to being in Japanese only. So perhaps Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, it has a dub, does not have the standard anime character designs, it is surprisingly effective, the main character is a normal office worker, but with more going on.

I really would have to come back afterwards, which looks like it would take a while with 100 or so episodes. But one last mention of something dub, that is not like most anime, and should be accessible despite I think many not being aware of it, with Little Witch Acadamia, which I just thought that since the show you mentioned appears to be on Netflix, and this is too, the original OVA being a quick easy taste to whether it is your thing, followed by the movie funded by a kickstarter, and then the full TV series that Netflix helped fund.

Corny
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2018, 11:57 am

Bradleigh wrote:
Corny wrote:

I checked the clip out, and I am certainly interested now. As for similar, I will probably have to watch more to get a more in depth idea, anime can be surprisingly varied, but I can maybe think of a couple that might possibly appeal.

Perhaps not the same, it is pretty out there, but there is Inferno Cop. I might just be thinking so because it is particularly silly, and not too constrained by what an anime should be. It also starts off something one would call the Trigger shows.

For office comedy, what comes to mind is Servant x Service, which against what might be suspected is about civil servants with various quirks. Although, it may come across as typical, largely being the office job version of a restaurant anime which has the more high school cast.

Animal side, I Kemono Friends comes to mind, which although I suspect may not have a bit that you want, it is quite accessible to children in a way. It kind of made a name for itself as being a low budget phenomenon, that things like its child like nature, and earnest energy for animals, ended up as a plus to adult audience, along with a surprising hidden nature that an adult audience will probably catch onto. The animation starts out unimpressive, that many get turned away, and although the animation itself does not change much, by three episodes those who may have been turned away may actually find it charming.

But, you said you only have the one show you have been interested in, so most of my recommendations may be useless due to being in Japanese only. So perhaps Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, it has a dub, does not have the standard anime character designs, it is surprisingly effective, the main character is a normal office worker, but with more going on.

I really would have to come back afterwards, which looks like it would take a while with 100 or so episodes. But one last mention of something dub, that is not like most anime, and should be accessible despite I think many not being aware of it, with Little Witch Acadamia, which I just thought that since the show you mentioned appears to be on Netflix, and this is too, the original OVA being a quick easy taste to whether it is your thing, followed by the movie funded by a kickstarter, and then the full TV series that Netflix helped fund.

I don’t really watch anime. But kinda wanna get started. So Aggretsuko is the only I watched. But here’s a few more clips from the show.

And a scene from the original Japanese dub too see which version you like better

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2018, 12:39 am

If you want an anime for adults but will give you emotions few others can elicit check out Gintama. Greatest ever.

Nekomonster
Toucan
Toucan

03 May 2018, 10:24 am

Corny wrote:
And a scene from the original Japanese dub too see which version you like better

I much prefer Fenneko's English "hahahahaha."

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2018, 3:43 pm

thewrll wrote:
If you want an anime for adults but will give you emotions few others can elicit check out Gintama. Greatest ever.

I love how they break the fourth wall, and the absurdity, and the unexpectedly touching moments. Even the filler episodes work.

advertisingfan123
Raven
Raven

09 May 2018, 8:13 am

Thanks for all the help and recommendations, I might try to find the series you talked about on Netflix, Prime Video, or DVD and Blu-Ray.