Page 71 of 93 [ 1480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 93  Next

Shadow1051
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Nov 2017, 8:28 pm

You should. It's very popular and for a good reason.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2017, 11:36 pm

Shadow1051 wrote:
Same here, bro. Sorry you have to put up with that. Anime is great but the "hardcore" fans out there that turn it into basically politics SUCK.

Back when the whole GiTS controversy was going on earlier this year (I honestly didn't give a damn because I already had and still have so much struggles that I can't afford to care if some SJW babies are upset about a movie that was essentially a quick cash in and it doesn't mean the original material doesn't exist anymore), I remember being at my favorite comic store and some idiot told me he saw a figure of "Major" by the door. I asked who that was and he laughed and said "It's pretty sad that an anime fan doesn't know who Major is!" :roll: In my mind, Major doesn't translate to Motoko Kusanagi but someone in the military and I just don't think GiTS is all that it's cracked up to be. I like Battle Angel Alita/Gunnm and Eden It's An Endless World! more when it comes to cyberpunk and most people I know who claim to be GiTS fans just only care about Motoko's "hotness" rather than the story.

Shadow1051 wrote:
Ah, I gotcha. Say have you seen My Hero Academia?

I follow the manga and I have the first season DVD box set. I've watched the first two episodes and I want to see more but I haven't been able to hang out with my friend who said he would watch it with me since August. I could watch the rest and start over but I have other things going on. That's also why I haven't really watched anything new lately. I don't have Netflix or cable/satellite TV in my room (Only the TV in the living room downstairs has those but my mother and stepfather watch it all the time) and I honestly prefer DVD over online watching.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2017, 1:29 am

When I hear about an anime fan referred to as "Major", I think of the below character.

The fans who criticise people for some ignorance of certain series are just plain bad, and I say that as someone who has watched the majority of what has come out in the last several years. I have not even watched Ghost in the Shell anime, and from what I do know the movie which I have seen was actually pretty good. There was like some atrocity to the original.

Oh, there is also this one series right now called Anime Gataris, which is about a girl kind of getting into the anime fandom. I have found it notable for being quite relevant to the current state of the fandom, either with some references to notable series, or a number of hidden gem favourites of mine. That last bit possibly in connection to one of the common references have been to Time Travel Girl, a series I am quite fond of despite being relatively unknown yet by the same studio as Anime Gataris. Not just references, but other topics too are relevant to things of the fanbase.

I have not really talked much about what has been out this season, we are almost at the half way point. Choosing just one show I really like has been there second season of Hoozuki's Coolheadedness (Hoozuki no Reitetsu), which is about an Oni who is the chief of staff to King Enma, a judge in Japanese Hell. As weird as it sounds where it is about a demon (oni) of hell who's job is organising others to doll out ironic punishment in hell, it is actually incredibly funny, with a specific brand of dark, yet deadpan, yet sarcastic yet mostly good natured humour.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2017, 11:56 am

LegoMaster2149 wrote:
LegoMaster2149 wrote:
I recently finished watching Ranma 1/2, and now I am currently watching Cutey Honey.

I have now finished Cutey Honey, I might start watching Galaxy Express 999.

Now have finished Galaxy Express 999. A sad but amazing ending to the series. :D I will find another anime that I will watch soon.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2017, 1:29 am

Marknis wrote:
Shadow1051 wrote:
Same here, bro. Sorry you have to put up with that. Anime is great but the "hardcore" fans out there that turn it into basically politics SUCK.

Back when the whole GiTS controversy was going on earlier this year (I honestly didn't give a damn because I already had and still have so much struggles that I can't afford to care if some SJW babies are upset about a movie that was essentially a quick cash in and it doesn't mean the original material doesn't exist anymore), I remember being at my favorite comic store and some idiot told me he saw a figure of "Major" by the door. I asked who that was and he laughed and said "It's pretty sad that an anime fan doesn't know who Major is!" :roll: In my mind, Major doesn't translate to Motoko Kusanagi but someone in the military and I just don't think GiTS is all that it's cracked up to be. I like Battle Angel Alita/Gunnm and Eden It's An Endless World! more when it comes to cyberpunk and most people I know who claim to be GiTS fans just only care about Motoko's "hotness" rather than the story.

Shadow1051 wrote:

I follow the manga and I have the first season DVD box set. I've watched the first two episodes and I want to see more but I haven't been able to hang out with my friend who said he would watch it with me since August. I could watch the rest and start over but I have other things going on. That's also why I haven't really watched anything new lately. I don't have Netflix or cable/satellite TV in my room (Only the TV in the living room downstairs has those but my mother and stepfather watch it all the time) and I honestly prefer DVD over online watching.

It has nothing to do with SJW. The point is if you are going to release a live action movie of the anime make the characters race believable. Having a white woman playing what is supposed to be an Asian woman is complete BS.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2017, 5:10 am

thewrll wrote:
It has nothing to do with SJW. The point is if you are going to release a live action movie of the anime make the characters race believable. Having a white woman playing what is supposed to be an Asian woman is complete BS.

But isn't the cover supposed to be that she is a foreigner? Someone who came from over seas, thus would not be on records that anyone would be able to find, a cover that would hide who she originally was, which was a Japanese girl? So there is not like there is an actual reason her cyborg body could be Caucasian in appearance, is there something in the original thematically ties her cyborg body being of the same race? Instead it looks more like would have come down to who could be the best actress. If anything her new body being so different creates an even more striking thematic reason.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2017, 11:14 pm

thewrll wrote:
Marknis wrote:
Shadow1051 wrote:

Shadow1051 wrote:

White American SJWs were the ones who got bent out of shape the most, though. The Japanese reactions were pretty interesting and show how silly SJWs get when they get offended on someone else's behalf:

As far as I know, no one in Japan complained about the live action Guyver movies despite changing the setting to America and Sho Fukamachi's name to Sean Baker.

Bradleigh wrote:
But isn't the cover supposed to be that she is a foreigner? Someone who came from over seas, thus would not be on records that anyone would be able to find, a cover that would hide who she originally was, which was a Japanese girl? So there is not like there is an actual reason her cyborg body could be Caucasian in appearance, is there something in the original thematically ties her cyborg body being of the same race? Instead it looks more like would have come down to who could be the best actress. If anything her new body being so different creates an even more striking thematic reason.

I actually mentioned how her body is artificial and someone who was already saying they didn't want to see it (Because Scarlet Johannson was, in her words, "not f*****g Japanese". This was a white woman who said that, by the way. White people hate each other the most when you really think about it.) told me that was a fair point.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Mukokuseki

Ghost in The Shell is mentioned in this article.

I just wonder if the live action Battle Angel Alita/Gunnm will light up social media in a similar manner. Alita/Gally was born on a German speaking Mars and her birth name is Yoko Dornburg.

Last edited by Marknis on 09 Nov 2017, 12:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

Stardust Parade
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Nov 2017, 11:16 pm

I've been a Sailor Moon fan for almost 20 years....does that count? :D

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2017, 11:27 pm

Marknis wrote:
thewrll wrote:
Marknis wrote:
Shadow1051 wrote:

Shadow1051 wrote:

White American SJWs were the ones who got bent out of shape the most, though. The Japanese reactions were pretty interesting and show how silly SJWs get when they get offended on someone else's behalf:

As far as I know, no one in Japan complained about the live action Guyver movies despite changing the setting to America and Sho Fukamachi's name to Sean Baker.

Bradleigh wrote:

I actually mentioned how her body is artificial and someone who was already saying they didn't want to see it (Because Scarlet Johannson was, in her words, "not f*****g Japanese". This was a white woman who said that, by the way. White people hate each other the most when you really think about it.) told me that was a fair point.

Ihttp://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Mukokuseki

Sorry I don't buy the blame sjw BS. A lot of the people who were angry are fans of the series. They also hate anything that changes their favorite series. It's either cast an Asian or don't remake it. It's time to stop blaming sjw's for every little thing.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2017, 11:56 pm

thewrll wrote:
Marknis wrote:
thewrll wrote:
Marknis wrote:
Shadow1051 wrote:

Shadow1051 wrote:

Bradleigh wrote:

Ihttp://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Mukokuseki

Sorry I don't buy the blame sjw BS. A lot of the people who were angry are fans of the series. They also hate anything that changes their favorite series. It's either cast an Asian or don't remake it. It's time to stop blaming sjw's for every little thing.

That doesn't change the fact the fans kicking up the loudest fusses about it were SJWs. You don't think SJWs can be fans of something? It's just silly how it was mostly white people complaining about white washing when Japanese fans were more or less neutral. Even the directors of the different anime adaptations didn't give much of a s**t.

https://www.google.com/amp/comicbook.co ... hollywood/

https://www.google.com/amp/www.hollywoo ... ell-992255

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 12:18 am

I will just make an addition that I hate the SJW blanket assessment to people, they are not some bogeyman that some people treat as such. I say that from the point at being called an SJW for just standing up for equality. It is just not intellectually mature to smear a group as just the type who find themselves pre-occupied with fairness, over say several loud people who don't really understand what they are talking about, or take it too far. We with disabilities should be the last people to make fun of those trying to stand up for others.

And again, I make my point that the American Ghost in the Shell movie is not that bad. It did not actually change the setting, the appearance race for the actress is not something I think actually contradicts the story, or really anything close to the level of Dragonball Evolution. As it stands Japan can have a little bit of a problem against foreigners, so it is not bad that this sci-fi movie did not make an issue of anything.

Actually reminds me of a video which I saw a reaction of, which apparently shows a real problem with Japan that people of other races experience despite what they consider their nationality.

Might appear cute, but is apparently really frustrating, and the reaction video I saw had some people having a tough time figuring out or explaining what the issue was.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2017, 12:23 am

Bradleigh wrote:
I will just make an addition that I hate the SJW blanket assessment to people, they are not some bogeyman that some people treat as such. I say that from the point at being called an SJW for just standing up for equality. It is just not intellectually mature to smear a group as just the type who find themselves pre-occupied with fairness, over say several loud people who don't really understand what they are talking about, or take it too far. We with disabilities should be the last people to make fun of those trying to stand up for others.

I never said it was a bad thing to stand up for others. I do it myself, especially for those who get unfairly labeled "Satanic" or "queer" in the Bible Belt. I even know some people on the spectrum who are homophobic or distrustful of non-Christians because Bible Belt culture is a powerful influence and it is distressing to witness. My posts were aimed at the "f**k white people" types who are ironically white themselves.

Dragon Evolution was unarguably terrible. There's actually an early 90's Korean adaptation of Dragon Ball that is much more faithful to the franchise atleast for the first half or so of it. It doesn't dumb the source material down for the Average Joe like Evolution did and the characters more or less look the same as their manga/anime counterparts. Even Oolong and Puar are in the film by the use of makeup and a puppet respectively.

I am either considered a liberal or a conservative depending on where I post in this forum. My feelings about the Bible Belt make some think I am a liberal while rejecting the "f**k white people!" mentality makes some others think I am a conservative.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2017, 8:16 pm

I might buy the Persona 4 anime eventually.

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 7:38 pm

I'm rewatching Kanon. I had forgotten how much I like this series, how much it makes me laugh, how much it makes me cry...
I even got my mum to watch the first episode, and we might watch a couple every Sunday. :D

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Canary
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2017, 9:24 pm

I got into a couple newer series recently, mainly The Ancient' Magus' Bride, March Comes in Like a Lion, and Recovery of an MMO Addict. They're the only ones I've liked lately.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2017, 3:20 am

Canary wrote:
I got into a couple newer series recently, mainly The Ancient' Magus' Bride, March Comes in Like a Lion, and Recovery of an MMO Addict. They're the only ones I've liked lately.

I have really been enjoying those too. The Ancient' Magus' Bride has some beautiful bits of classic fairy lore, which I have had a specific interest in. March Comes in Like a Lion is a pretty amazing show about things like dealing depression, showing the journey of a guy with it which somehow feels comforting rather than you would think depressing to the viewer. And Recovery of an MMO Junkie is a pretty awesome romantic comedy that feels fresh with some usual aspects, but with a heroine that feels relatable despite being her own character, coming across as cute because I think actually not trying to make the character as cute.

It has had a bit of Yuri baiting, but another show this season, Konohana Kitan, has also kind of shown itself a few episodes in to be pretty great. It is about Kitsune working at some sort of supernatural hotel, with some pretty fine introspection.