Page 62 of 93 [ 1480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65 ... 93  Next

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 11:18 am

Kuraudo7777 wrote:
If you change just because of pressure, that just gives people more power over you.
I am sorry you have had such disheartening experiences. Well, we can talk if you like.

I'll send you a PM.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 12:36 pm

I work at the public library in my city and we actually have some anime box sets available for checkout. Today someone turned in the first box set of Dragon Ball and left a note that says:

This Cartoon Shows Genitalia. Not Proper!

Only in the Bible Belt... :roll:

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 1:11 pm

Kuraudo7777 wrote:
If you change just because of pressure, that just gives people more power over you.
I am sorry you have had such disheartening experiences. Well, we can talk if you like.

With all the peer pressure encouragement going on, I wish many people would know they way you do, Miss Kuraudo.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 1:30 pm

^Well, thank you for saying that. :)

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 5:26 pm

You have a right to your opinion of profanity, Uncanny-D. I tried to answer your question about the market choices made by licensees.

Sometimes, interest in fansubs can lead to licensing, so people who don't buy manga may influence that market. The publishers may also take some cues from the tone of fansubs, but their translators have their own professional pride.

I guess scanalations would be the correct word.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 6:08 pm

Marknis wrote:
Having the belief that anime and manga were more open minded and friendly than the rednecks destroyed actually sometimes makes me feel like I should stop liking it again. This is partly why I haven't kept up with the latest seasons as well. What's the point when I can't share it with anyone or I am going to be mocked for not being 'otaku' enough?

Every sub-culture has some sort of a-hole and elitist side, and the expectation that those within it have faced ridicule and should be more aware of it is not going to change that. Sometimes those mature, or sometimes they just get ingrained in a sense of self worth. I had a sort of epiphany a while back that this can show in the anime sub-culture by some having a blanket hate for all dubs. And really the healthier mindset is to also have an idea of what those on the outside might think, and how you might portray how you feel. Truth is though that many an anime do have a sort of anime referential culture that makes it hard for a lot of newcomers to find appealing, which is why at least the circle I am in online will have special interest in stuff considered entry titles, anime that those on the outside might be able to get into with few references of standard anime needed.

Little Witch Academia is hopefully a recent addition, that I think fans of things like Harry Potter, has nothing really too anime about it, is filled with references to bits of western culture (including like the Twilight phenomena).

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 10:04 am

An animated Metroid series could be interesting...wait, no, nevermind. 8O

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 11:50 am

Watching XXXHolic a second time. That opening theme is one of the greats. Watanuki's outbursts don't annoy me as much as the first time.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 12:39 pm

^I have the complete manga series.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 1:39 pm

Me too. I lack the latest volumes of the reboot.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 1:42 pm

^I made a promise to myself. I'm not going to buy XXXholic Rei until/unless it gives TRC, TWC, and XXXholic itself the happy ending they all need, and Cardcaptor Sakura has [what is to me] a great ending already, so I'm not going to bother with Clear Card.

I've come up with a way to end both series in just three pages each, thus removing any need for World Chronicle, Rei, or even Clear Card. Are you interested? I can pm you the details.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 1:47 pm

Just so long as you don't expect an eloquent reply. I haven't read CC Sakura yet, and the Clow family still confuses me.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2017, 7:05 pm

Yet for some reason I understand the plot of Tsubasa perfectly. I guess watching Doctor Who is good for something. Or maybe it's just that I'm so open-minded that I'm never one to say 'that's impossible'.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 1:36 pm

I'm watching Black Butler season one as I type this post. :D

Out of all of the anime series I've watched Black Butler and Sword Art Online are my favorites.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 1:59 pm

Kuraudo7777 wrote:
Yet for some reason I understand the plot of Tsubasa perfectly. I guess watching Doctor Who is good for something. Or maybe it's just that I'm so open-minded that I'm never one to say 'that's impossible'.

This discussion has me wondering if X will also get an ending. Some of those characters appear in one part of TRC, and it extends the plot of X without resolving anything.

I finished watching the anime, X/1999, not too long ago. I may go back and watch the dub, in order to appreciate the amazing artwork. It must have been a perfect storm of artistic talent and low enough cost to spend the time to create such detailed scenes of swirling magical forces. Plot-wise, it doesn't so much end as stop.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2017, 5:46 pm

^I know of Kenichi Suzumura [Kamui] from FFVII [Zack] and Digimon Frontier [Kouichi], so that's kind of neat.