Page 43 of 93 [ 1480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46 ... 93  Next

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2016, 9:11 am

I also like Mononoke [the anime, not the Studio Ghibli movie that begins with Princess]. It's weird and completely bonkers, but...the Medicine Seller is voiced by Takahiro Sakurai [Cloud Strife, among others]! How epic!
By the way, can anyone suggest a good fantasy-magic romance manga/anime that doesn't involve vampires or demons or stuff like that?

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

gleam
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Feb 2016, 12:52 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
Monogatari is a pretty interesting, it has a pretty confusing timeframe that requires some graphs to piece it all together. It is a good series by Studio SHAFT which loves its symbolism. I might recommend you another Studio SHAFT anime if you enjoy some of the thinking stuff, perhaps try Puella Magi Madoka Magica (Magical Girl Madoka Magica), it is technically about "magical girls" but it plays around with the genre and has the same director as the Monogatari series.

Actually, I was already planning on watching that next. Thanks though! :D
The only irritating thing with Monogatari is that I feel absolutely compelled to read all those screens with characters' thoughts, even when 5 of them flash by in 1/10 second. Constant pausing and replaying... even though I realize that you're not supposed to be able to read all of it.

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2016, 12:54 pm

Sorry, I tried, but I just can't get into Anime of any kind. :(

boofle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Feb 2016, 1:11 pm

Bradleigh

Quote:
Those are some.... interesting titles (the first two of which I am familiar of at least, they have a bit of a certain reputation with what I am involved in

I'm not sure what you mean, presume "interesting" means you don't like them? What is it you are "involved in" where the listed anime has a certain "reputation". I don't follow? What sort of rep are we talking about? : )

As for my tastes. They run to the 'different', i suppose. I like dark anime, horror based, not exclusively, because I like historical stuff too. However, if it has demons or vampires or anything else 'other' and it's 'different', I'll give it a go.
I still like stuff like kaichou wa maid-sama or Special A but I can only take that kinda anime for limited periods of time.

Quote:
Diabolik Lovers got a bit full on for me that I could not watch what was happening to the heroine after a few episodes into the series

Can understand where you're coming from tho and whilst I'm not big on harem anime, i liked this one for the very reason you were put off, which is their unashamed cruelty because 'it was in their nature'. No apologies made in the anime for how they behave, well, not much (setting aside the back story on the three brothers), they just 'are'. Take them, or leave them.

I also liked that they didn't try to romanticise them, much. They're predators. The end. Predators need prey. She made the perfect foil in that regard. Docile and submissive when most of us probably wouldn't be but, her passivity served to better illustrate their monstrosity. It's who they are and this isn't Twilight (thank you, Lord)
It also seemed to have elements of D/s to me but that's just my personal view.

Quote:
And Dance with Devils became an unintentional comedy to me, especially when it had a certain scene with Pomeranians. Although I like how people can get different things out of different shows

Dance with Devils isn't trying to take itself very seriously imo.
But it meets the criteria regards what I personally prefer. If i want something serious I'll watch something like Hitsuji no Uta, as just one example, which ticks the serious (and warped) factor rather admirably but for light relief and without having to resort to schmaltzy feel-good anime (some with disturbingly pint-sized and stacked female protagonists), DwD works.

*one day I'll get this quote thing right*

Kenya
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2016, 7:47 pm

I LOVE Anime!! ! I've watched a wide variety of different Anime shows. Some of my favorites include Spice And Wolf, Dusk Maiden Of Amnesia, Future Diary, Attack On Titan, Elfen Lied, Chobits, One Piece, Wolf's Rain, just to name a few (the former 3 I actually own on DVD and/or Blu-Ray).

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2016, 11:04 pm

@ boofle

As it is, I have been interested in having a idea of what I would need to have a different opinion of Diabolic Lovers, so thank you for that. As a dude I have historically mostly watched stuff aimed at guys, but as of late I have been enjoying "reverse" harems to some degree. One such show I really enjoy is Kamigami no Asobi, which I think has some similar aspects, but treats the heroine with respect as she can actually do things, and not be tortured so much.

I can recommend some good horror anime like Ghost Hunt, which can get a bit spooky. There is Another, which is like the anime version of Final Destination. Knights of Sidonia does some interesting things with CGI, managing to be pretty creepy at times. Rampo Kitan Game of Laplace, managed to do some things as a horror mystery. If you are willing to a male centred harem anime (one guy to multiple girls), The Fruit of Grisaia might be worth a watch as against the usual harem series each character is pretty messed up to possible horror levels.

And there is Amnesia, which might be about the same type as Diabolic Lovers, and does not always play nice either. And what I mean by reputation and the like are shows like this, where the heroine is written as very docile, and guys can be a bit aggressive and or unreasonable, and the community I am involved with does not see the depictions as empowering the female character. Although you might like that, which is fine.

boofle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Feb 2016, 5:10 pm

Thanks for the recommendations, Bradleigh. I'll check em out n add to my (already long as my arm) list of stuff I've earmarked to watch.

Seen amnesia btw.

As for the empowerment thing. Yeah, I understand the pov. That said, there's plenty of anime that isn't particularly empowering in its portrayal of female characters but I can see why diabolik would stand out in this regard.
Despite that, it was popular enough to merit a second season. Strange isn't it? : )

Thanks for the discussion btw. And the recommendations. It was really kind of you :cyclops:

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

01 Mar 2016, 10:52 pm

Anybody else like Osomatsu-san?

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

Kenya
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2016, 11:15 pm

Anyone here start watching this new Animé series called Dimension W recently. I just started it this past weekend and am enjoying it thus far. I also think I'm in love with Mira. :)

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2016, 12:28 am

equestriatola wrote:
Anybody else like Osomatsu-san?

Osomatsu-san is the bomb. My favourite episode so far would be Iyami's Counterattack.

Kenya wrote:
Anyone here start watching this new Animé series called Dimension W recently. I just started it this past weekend and am enjoying it thus far. I also think I'm in love with Mira. :)

It is alright, but really does not stand out much. Mira is a good character, but even as far as robots go, I feel like I get more out of Ghost Urn.

Riik
Toucan
Toucan

02 Mar 2016, 11:10 am

I watch anime on-and-off. Sometimes I binge-watch it, sometimes I just watch the occasional episode of a series every few days, sometimes I go without anime for months.

Recently, I've been watching Osomatsu-san weekly as each episode has come out.

A life without tea is a life not worth living.
Latest Aspie Quiz: AS - 151, NT - 38 / RAADS-R: 195 / AQ: 38

Kenya
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2016, 11:22 am

Bradleigh wrote:
Kenya wrote:

It is alright, but really does not stand out much. Mira is a good character, but even as far as robots go, I feel like I get more out of Ghost Urn.

I think what gives Mira a special place for me when compared to other robot girls is the fact that she has a tail. That's like an instant turn on for me. Entirely selfish, I know. Don't judge me. :P

rileydaboss2000
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Mar 2016, 3:01 am

Huge anime fans right here, and I got into it all because of Dragon ball. I usually like ones which are action or slice-of-life related and I am currently watching Lucky Star at the moment :)

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2016, 11:07 am

What's Girl Meets Girl like? Is the English dub any good?
I also like Saiunkoku Monogatari, though I'm not sure if I like Shurei's english voice [I like Houko Kuwashima a lot].

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Lazershow
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

14 Mar 2016, 4:49 pm

I just started watching Gintama. Its really great so far, i really like the comedy in it.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2016, 5:20 am

Gintama is the greatest tv show of all time.