Page 61 of 93 [ 1480 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 93  Next

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 1:22 pm

I have the Teresa and Clare goddesses as my current screensaver.

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 1:26 pm

I recently finished watching Elfen Lied on Netflix. The music was fantastic, the narrative was interesting (though I lost track of what was going on), and I found certain scenes to be utterly heart wrenching. But I must say that its 15 rating was a big surprise as it's by the goriest animated series I have ever seen. I lost count of the number of security guards who had their limbs torn off by the diclonious's (?) vectors.

Even though it's undoubtedly effeminate, I may have a Nyu tattoo sometime next month. My ex girlfriend wants the two of us to have a couple tattoo, so she might get Lucy, whereas I will have Nyu.

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 1:29 pm

I'm kind of surprised that Claymore is rated Older Teen and not Mature, or how exactly Pandora Hearts is a shonen series, or how Nightmare inspector [another favourite] is rated Teen...

Some ratings on movies and tv also boggle my mind.

"A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel...As long as I'm with you, as long as you're by my side, I won't give up even if I'm scared." Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 2:14 pm

What really bugs me is that why are English dubbed voice actors want to use strong foul language in certain animes that did not have any of those in the original Japanese dub in the first place? Why can't they just tone down the profanity to the same level as what was said in the original version, and keep it that way?

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 2:20 pm

^Because it would result in the characters yelling 'YOU!' over and over again? [I'm just being silly.]

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 2:32 pm

Kuraudo7777 wrote:
^Because it would result in the characters yelling 'YOU!' over and over again? [I'm just being silly.]

No, I mean, why can't they just say milder terms like “You monster!”, “Curses!”, “Blast it!”, “Yellow Belly!”, or “Scumbag!” (They actually used that word in some Percy Jackson books). I mean, I'm fine with “Hell” and “Damn”, but other foul language stronger than those, especially from the English dubbed animes that were never present in the original Japanese dub in the first place....I really want to give those people a piece of my mind! :x

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 2:34 pm

UncannyDanny wrote:
Kuraudo7777 wrote:

No, I mean, why can't they just say milder terms like “You monster!”, “Curses!”, “Blast it!”, “Yellow Belly!”, or “Scumbag!” (They actually used that word in some Percy Jackson books). I mean, I'm fine with “Hell” and “Damn”, but other foul language stronger than those, especially from the English dubbed animes that were never present in the original Japanese dub in the first place....I really want to give those people a piece of my mind! :x

The mass market doesn't mind as much as you. I suspect you already know that.

UncannyDanny
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 2:37 pm

^What do you mean by 'mass market'?

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 3:35 pm

UncannyDanny wrote:
^What do you mean by 'mass market'?

Most anime buyers

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 4:54 pm

^But most people aren't most anime buyers, or even 'most' at all.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 5:16 pm

UncannyDanny wrote:
What really bugs me is that why are English dubbed voice actors want to use strong foul language in certain animes that did not have any of those in the original Japanese dub in the first place? Why can't they just tone down the profanity to the same level as what was said in the original version, and keep it that way?

I am not really an expert on languages, but I think that the reason may be somewhat to do with the difference of languages that the dubbers might be aware of, that the Japanese language in general terms does not have the same type of curse words.

Not that they are not aware of such things, but often I think the words implied to be too far in terms of swearing being the expected English words. Otherwise censored are copyrighted things, but also things purely sexual. Now that might seem like the exact same thing, but rather than the words, my observation is kind of it on the nature of the context rather than any words that might be considered profane in Japanese. And I can only think that the people writing the dubs might have more of an opinion on what constitutes using an English swear in making a track that is usually meant to convey the essence of a Japanese piece.

On the topic of language, there are some odd differences, like the "b word" can be more used to refer to someone loose with their sexuality akin to "slut", rather than its usual meaning.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2017, 5:34 pm

Kuraudo7777 wrote:
^But most people aren't most anime buyers, or even 'most' at all.

True but irrelevant. The market for anime consists only of anime buyers.

Other people, censors and such, affect the market too. People who don't care at all don't affect the market.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 1:17 am

Kuraudo7777 wrote:
Marknis: Yes, it did, actually.
Claymore is one of my favourites, especially since it [ironically] helped me through several dark years. I like Clare, Teresa, Cassandra, and Jean best.

It's not my utmost favorite like it used to be but I still give it credit for getting me back into the medium after peer pressure and Bible Belt culture made me stop.

But sadly, even my favorites don't help with my struggles. I think it's partly because I don't have many friends to share my interests with (Most people in my culture just think it's all Dragon Ball, specifically the Z anime and they don't give anything else a chance) and I still get flack for what I am interested in. I also used to have a romanticized view of the culture until some as*hole mocked me for asking who "Major" was (I just know her as Motoko Kusanagi because I just don't think GiTS is all that it's cracked up to be), some other fans treated me poorly (A couple on this very forum), and a girl who said she was a fan of both anime and manga rejected me.

Having the belief that anime and manga were more open minded and friendly than the rednecks destroyed actually sometimes makes me feel like I should stop liking it again. This is partly why I haven't kept up with the latest seasons as well. What's the point when I can't share it with anyone or I am going to be mocked for not being 'otaku' enough?

Kuraudo7777
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 9:38 am

If you change just because of pressure, that just gives people more power over you.
I am sorry you have had such disheartening experiences. Well, we can talk if you like.

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 9:58 am

I never finished Watamote, after all.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2017, 11:18 am

Kuraudo7777 wrote:
If you change just because of pressure, that just gives people more power over you.
I am sorry you have had such disheartening experiences. Well, we can talk if you like.

I'll send you a PM.