The drug Abilify (aripiprazole) helping with irritability

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Frakkin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 May 2013, 2:46 pm

There were studies that indicated Abilify helped with irritability associated with autism spectrum disorders in children and adolescents. There is an article here.

I was recently prescribed this by my psychiatrist and it helps immensely. I am an adult (20 years old). It really helps with irritability from being overwhelmed. I feel more relaxed now. Noises, textures, humidity, people, anxiety, etc., don't make me nearly as irritable as usual. It's relieving for my roommates for sure :) I was hoping other people who have experience with Abilify could post here, or maybe if some of you have problems with irritability you can talk to your doctor about it and try it.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2013, 2:53 pm

In my experience, I'm sure it does work. I've had similar prescriptions to help me deal with frustration from the fact that my thoughts, emotions, and concerns are treated as invalid and irrelevant. Until the side effects catch up with me to the point that I can barely take myself to the bathroom, people are thrilled with the drugs because they make me compliant and almost silent.

If you are so apathetic you can't care about anything, you can't be irritated. If that's what they want, give it to 'em. I hope it doesn't make you sick.

Frakkin
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 May 2013, 6:42 pm

BuyerBeware wrote:
In my experience, I'm sure it does work. I've had similar prescriptions to help me deal with frustration from the fact that my thoughts, emotions, and concerns are treated as invalid and irrelevant. Until the side effects catch up with me to the point that I can barely take myself to the bathroom, people are thrilled with the drugs because they make me compliant and almost silent.

If you are so apathetic you can't care about anything, you can't be irritated. If that's what they want, give it to 'em. I hope it doesn't make you sick.

I've noticed the opposite. I'm much happier and feel more motivation to do things. I previously had a harder time getting out of bed, showering, doing chores, etc. But now it's not so difficult. I'm more talkative too. This particular drug seems to work really well for me.

Were you taking a different drug? If so, which?

Girls father
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

23 Sep 2017, 9:36 pm

Frakkin wrote:
There were studies that indicated Abilify helped with irritability associated with autism spectrum disorders in children and adolescents. There is an article here.

I was recently prescribed this by my psychiatrist and it helps immensely. I am an adult (20 years old). It really helps with irritability from being overwhelmed. I feel more relaxed now. Noises, textures, humidity, people, anxiety, etc., don't make me nearly as irritable as usual. It's relieving for my roommates for sure :) I was hoping other people who have experience with Abilify could post here, or maybe if some of you have problems with irritability you can talk to your doctor about it and try it.

I know its been a while since the topic was created, but do you still take abilify? Which dose? For how long have you been taking it?

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2017, 10:03 pm

Wow. Talk about necro'ing a thread!

I've been on quite a few psych meds over the years - Sinequan, Lithium, Risperdal, Seroquel, Lamictal, Latuda (THE WORST!) and Geodon (WASTE OF TIME!).

Right now I take Abilify 5mg once a day. I'd initially stopped it because it made me grind my teeth, but that doesn't happen anymore. I think it's helped my mood.

The side FX the other pills gave me were weight gain, sleeplessness, syncope, increased agitation, and a few others. It got so bad that I cold-stopped taking them last New Year's, found myself homeless and naked in the freezing cold weather, and broke the windows in a bank so I could go to jail.

The police, public defender, prosecutor and judge realized I was having a psychotic break, so they dropped the case. I did spend three days in jail and had to pay the bank $1960 in restitution - which I did, so everything's okay now. I hope.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 4:08 am

Pretty soon they're going to start prescribing psych medications just for being alive, to everyone, regardless of any other method. And there are other methods for dealing with frustration.
Reminds me uneasily of soma, the drug everyone was blissed out of reality on in Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World."
Looks like his predictions are coming true there.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

24 Sep 2017, 7:26 am

Interesting, this is my biggest issue. I've also herd Risperidone works well for irritability in Autistic patients.