Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ZannaBarnowl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 Jan 2007, 12:47 am

Hi, I'm Zanna.

I was pointed to this site by my husband in the course of us trying to figure out what my deal is. I don't know yet if the behaviors I exhibit or the way that I feel about certain things (like HATE having the space around my face invaded and I feel like I wear my nervous system on the outside!) wears the label of AS, but odds are good. This last meltdown was nearly too much for the both of us (my company changed our cubicles around and we are nearly sitting on top of one another now - The first day of it was rough) so he started doing a little research based on what I am presenting.

I've been labeled a number of things in course of my life, from "unmanageable" and "defiant", as a child to "high maintenance" and "complicated" as an adult. I was diagnosed with ADD when I was 27 and given meds to help me tune out the external stimuli, which worked to a limited degree. It didn't help the crushing depression, however, and neither did five years of "talk" therapy.

Snagged from another thread:

Hobbies and Interests: Reading, knitting, horseback riding, camping, and much, much more!

Why are you here? To get a better understanding of what AS is and is not, as well as learn more coping mechanisms.

Favorite subjects: Anthropology (I have a BA in Anthropology) philosophy, history, political science, and pretty much anything in the Humanities Dept.

Year/Grade: Done! Yippee!

Favorite music: Rock

Books: Fiction: Egads, where do I start...though I really love Chuck Palahniuk, David Sedaris, F. Paul Wilson's Repairman Jack series, Rita Mae Brown, Dana Stabenow, Nevada Barr, Charlaine Harris, the team of Douglas Preston and Lincolon Child...

Books Non-fiction: Lately: Mary Roach ("Spook, Science Tackles the Afterlife" and "Stiff, the Curious Lives of Human Cadavers"), Daniel C. Dennett's "Breaking the Spell: Religion as a Natural Phenomenon", Herbert J. Strong, "What the Anti-Federalist Were for", Peter Drucker, "Management: Tasks, Responsibilities and Practices" etc.

TV shows/Movies: Current TV: Jericho, Prison Break, House. Film: An American Haunting (Bell Witch)

Instrument: Kazoo...I'm not kidding; that's about all I can play.

Do you like sports? If so, which ones?: Target practice, horseback riding, white water rafting.

Family: None that I speak to.

Clothing: Comfortable, clean (I'm fussy about that) well-fitting.

How did you find this website? My husband found it.

Job: Cubicle Monkey

Plans for the future? Get out of the City. DH and I grew up in a rural area, and we can't wait to find a few acres to call our own!

Any comments? I don't have enough information to have an opinion yet.

TTFN
Z~

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2007, 2:27 am

Welcome to WP!

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2007, 4:57 am

Hi ZannaBarnowl,

"I feel like I wear my nervous system on the outside"

Yep, I know exactly what you mean with that Zanna, are you also very sensitive to touch, heat/cold, noise etc.
Noise is my thing, I can hear a pin drop half a mile away :lol: But loud noise drives me crazy.

Sounds like you'll be right at home here. :)

Welcome to WP.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

17 Jan 2007, 5:04 am

ZannaBarnowl wrote:

I was diagnosed with ADD when I was 27 and given meds to help me tune out the external stimuli, which worked to a limited degree. It didn't help the crushing depression, however, and neither did five years of "talk" therapy.

Welcome to Wrong Planet Zanna! :D

ADD stimulant meds can have an anti-depressant action but often people with ADD and depresion take an anti-depressant to. I assume you have inattentive ADD (ADHD-I). Do you still take meds
for ADD?

ZannaBarnowl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jan 2007, 4:52 pm

Nope, I no longer take meds for ADD.

At first they gave me Dexadrine, which is straight speed - I may as well have done a line or two of crank for all the good it did me. The stuff wears off pormtly in four hours and then I crash like a junkie.

I tried some of my step-son's (who we now believe to have been misdiagnosed as ADHD - that boy is an Aspie for sure!) Ritalin and that was much better then the Dex. So I went to my pusher (my psychiarist) and asked for Ritalin. Couple years later, he gave me some Wellbutrin, but the dosage was too high and I got headaches. I was grateful for the Ritalin because it really helped me get the rest of the way through school - I don't think I could have coped in the univeristy envronment without it.

This next generation of Wellbutrin is great - this extended release stuff rocks.