Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Raven
Raven

17 May 2013, 4:12 pm

I hate when people tell me something along the lines of "but you're smarter than me" when I tell them that I have so few friends and struggle socially.

What is worst? Not being perfect at math, or being a total social failure?

[img][800:336]http://i39.tinypic.com/5lt6zc.jpg[/img]

flamebolt925
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

17 May 2013, 4:24 pm

im sorry to hear that you are feeling blue today is there anything i can do to make u feel better? [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hgGj8kbuRk[/youtube] maybe this will make u laugh

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 4:29 pm

1814 wrote:
I hate when people tell me something along the lines of "but you're smarter than me" when I tell them that I have so few friends and struggle socially. What is worst? Not being perfect at math, or being a total social failure?

i am sorry I can only offer you cold comfort, but- being perfect at math will eventually enable you to obtain a financially renumerative position in a field with a chronic shortage of qualified native-born applicants [STEM], and with money will come people who will find you attractive, at least in a mercenary sense. it's not perfect but it's a helluva lot better than the alternative of having no renumerative skills AND no social skills.
god bless :)

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 4:30 pm

1814 wrote:
I hate when people tell me something along the lines of "but you're smarter than me" when I tell them that I have so few friends and struggle socially.

Well, the people you are talking to clearly aren't too bright if they think that being "smart" will necessarily help you make friends and be socially successful. Find some "smarter" people to talk to and maybe it will be easier to make friends.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 9:01 pm

1814 wrote:

Math was my worst subject, and I don't work well in social things for a number of reasons.

It sucks, but at this point, after watching people and seeing how they react to others, especially if someone is remotely different, I'm glad I'm in a position where I don't have to deal with humans all the time.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2013, 9:57 pm

How about sucking at math and being a total social failure? that is worse.

Mishra2012
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 May 2013, 3:08 am

Social failure is the worst for me. Math often haunts me anyway as I tend to get "hooked" or "stuck" counting...fantasizing about numbers, shapes and dimensions! Makes me feel as if I'm crazy. It is much easier to live a successful life with the right amount of social support; many of the people in charge are dumb as a box of rocks and hire the brains..

I have had several people make comments like that to me. "You think you're so smart why don't you have a lot of friends" "You're smart you should have tun of friends" "You're smart enough to figure out how to make friends" :evil:

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2013, 4:06 pm

Mishra2012 wrote:
Social failure is the worst for me. Math often haunts me anyway as I tend to get "hooked" or "stuck" counting...fantasizing about numbers, shapes and dimensions! Makes me feel as if I'm crazy. It is much easier to live a successful life with the right amount of social support; many of the people in charge are dumb as a box of rocks and hire the brains..

I have had several people make comments like that to me. "You think you're so smart why don't you have a lot of friends" "You're smart you should have tun of friends" "You're smart enough to figure out how to make friends" :evil:

I've heard some of those as well, people seem to fail to realize that being smart about certain things doesn't necessarily make you smart with everything else (including making friends). They just use it as a reason to complain about us.

For example:
I'm a theoretician. I come up with theories involving anything from a range of quantum teleportation to trans-dimensional phasing, including but not limited to: Time Travel and it's effects, the multiverse, and wormholes.

I've come up with countless theories for a lot of stuff, and some of them have ended up to be conclusions that physicists have come up with in recent time as well. But regardless of all of this, I still struggle with society (and math, sadly).

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2013, 3:09 am

Jaden wrote:
I've come up with countless theories for a lot of stuff, and some of them have ended up to be conclusions that physicists have come up with in recent time as well. But regardless of all of this, I still struggle with society (and math, sadly).

how to you figure out the theories [that physicists accept] sans math?

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2013, 5:44 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Jaden wrote:

how to you figure out the theories [that physicists accept] sans math?

It's kind of hard to explain, but basically they come to the same conclusion that I have at some point, and while they use math as their proof, me on the other hand, need not proof since I'm only a theoretician.

Basically the difference between a simple theoretician and a theroetical mathematician:
Theoreticians only come up with the ideas/theories, while theoretical mathematicians come up with ways to either make it possible, or to prove it as impossible with current science, using known mathematic solutions.

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2013, 6:00 pm

I am always alone but I never feel lonely.

Vectorspace
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2013, 7:28 pm

Um, no, I wouldn't swap.
Life without math would be really meaningless to me.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2013, 8:36 pm

Jaden wrote:
It's kind of hard to explain, but basically they come to the same conclusion that I have at some point, and while they use math as their proof, me on the other hand, need not proof since I'm only a theoretician.

I think [fuzzily recalling this] that somebody said that Einstein himself considered his own math skills to be relatively rudimentary].

Jaden wrote:
Basically the difference between a simple theoretician and a theroetical mathematician:
Theoreticians only come up with the ideas/theories, while theoretical mathematicians come up with ways to either make it possible, or to prove it as impossible with current science, using known mathematic solutions.

so you are basically an idea man :idea: and that is grand because this world definitely needs new ideas.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2013, 9:15 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Jaden wrote:

I think [fuzzily recalling this] that somebody said that Einstein himself considered his own math skills to be relatively rudimentary].

Jaden wrote:

so you are basically an idea man :idea: and that is grand because this world definitely needs new ideas.

That would be interesting (about Einstein).

Pretty much, yes :lol: and I agree, the world does need new ideas and things.

wester13
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Jun 2013, 4:40 pm

1814 wrote:

being a failure at math is much worse

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2013, 5:46 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
How about sucking at math and being a total social failure? that is worse.

Seconded.