Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

luther
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Mar 2005, 8:47 am

I just found out about Aspergers and suddenly my life makes sense. It's funny how I found out. I was on another forum and someone called me "The elephant in the room" because I stuck out like a sore thumb. Someone else who'd been following my postings emailed me and told me about Aspergers. I think I fit perfectly and would like to nail down the diagnosis before I leave the country in less than six months. I'm just a 49 year ol pizza boy on disability and can't afford shrinks. Can anyone suggest how to get a diagnosis? Is there a free coupon I can cut out of the newspaper or something?

I hope this forum is where I can talk about myself without being told I'm out of place. If anyone is interested, I have written some of the details of why I think I have Asperger's here: http://www.aircaraccess.com/whyme01.htm

I have also written a 600 page comedy about my life, which is also available for free on the internet. I describe it as a not-a-novel, rather than my life story. It is a puking of sarcasm and negativity in the context of my life story. By sarcasm and negativity, I'm referring to what I consider to be humor.

I also am the world's foremost expert on cars that run on compressed air. My website on the topic is top dog. While my siblings were establishing their careers, I was obsessing on air cars for 25 years.

My friends on that other forum are mostly born again republicans, but isn't it possible that it's them's brains what's wired up backwards, not ours?

Luther

ed
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2005, 11:21 am

Hi Luther. Welcome to WrongPlanet.net... I'm a 60 year old, diagnosed with AS 2 years ago. I knew i had it after reading a piece in Time or Newsweek about it. There are several online tests which are available (free) online to give you a better indication. (Many people here are undiagnosed, but know they have it). One is the Aspie-Quiz. It is at: http://www.rdos.net/eng/Aspie-quiz.php

Hope to see you around the site. Try the chatroom.

luther
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Mar 2005, 3:42 am

Thanks Ed. I took the quiz and scored way above the mean given for diagnosed Aspies that have taken it.

I've wondered if I might be pretty high on the autism scale, that is on the borderline between autism and aspergers. Someone said a sheltered early environment like a special school that teaches social skills can make all the difference. With few exceptions I was thrown into the pile and expected to scramble on my own.

I think my parents both have aspergers too, or something a lot like it. They got stuck somewhere between not knowing what I needed and not being able to focus outside of their own personal interests for very long. And of course my siblings hated me for getting special attention.