New Xbox is called Xbox One, airing live right now.

Page 10 of 10 [ 159 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2013, 8:00 pm

Bataar wrote:
Wow, it seems there are still misunderstandings to Microsoft's policies. Here's a good article that explains everything:
http://www.wpcentral.com/lets-talk-xbox-drm

Article hightlights:
"Let’s talk about “step one” – buying content. You will be able to buy a video game on Xbox One, physically or virtually, on the same day. Want to jump onto the “no physical media” bandwagon – go for it! Still want to buy discs and display your favorite titles on your shelf – that is cool also.

Even if you choose to buy a physical copy of the game, once installed, no discs are required. All of the content you buy will be linked to the Xbox cloud in addition to being stored on your console. Scratch that game disc and afraid you will never be able to play it again – that was the past!"

"Now, let’s talk about reselling your disc games and trading with friends. You will still be able to trade in your games at participating retailers. In addition, Microsoft won’t be charging any fees to retailers, publishers, or consumers for enabling transfer of games. Enjoy playing that game and then head to a store to trade it in for something else – reselling is not dead.

The new collection of DRM rules and restrictions attempts to allow friends and family to enjoy each other’s content while ensuring developers get paid. I know a lot of you like to think of game publishers and developers as “the man”, but truth is – the team of programmers and artists working on your favorite titles are trying to put food on their own family’s tables.

Take a second and step back from your viewpoint, if you work on a video game for years and then one bloke pays $50 for it and shares it with half a dozen friends – is that really fair? Sure, it makes life easy for you, but aren’t you slapping your favorite developers in the face at the same time? Xbox One allows you to still play your game with your friends and even completely give it to your best friend later, while allowing developers and publishers to get paid for their content."

As the whole trade-in / renting / whatever goes.... THIS is the problem:

"In our role as a game publisher, Microsoft Studios will enable you to give your games to friends or trade in your Xbox One games at participating retailers. Third party publishers may opt in or out of supporting game resale and may set up business terms or transfer fees with retailers. Microsoft does not receive any compensation as part of this. In addition, third party publishers can enable you to give games to friends. Loaning or renting games won’t be available at launch, but we are exploring the possibilities with our partners."

That taken from here:

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license

Their official statements are often saying that they themselves are not putting the restrictions on trade-ins and such..... but the small print points out that while THEY arent doing it, they opened it up for the actual publishers to do it. This was already known, and is one of the things people are so angry about. Players dont want *any* restrictions on that, from ANYONE. Someone goes to trade in a game at a Gamestop or whatever, so they can buy something new, and find out they cant simply because EA or Activision or whoever decided so? Yeah. Not good. This one is more akin to MS trying to place the blame on others, while still getting away with it. And three guesses what most publishers will decide on this one.

Microsoft has done some funky backpedaling on this whole thing in the last few days, but I've noticed that it's been VERY carefully worded. Hell, that bit up there took me a bit of time to find; I found it mostly because I already knew about it.

Another one from them:

"Loaning or renting games won’t be available at launch, but we are exploring the possibilities with our partners".

Ok, whoa. No. Here is how loaning is supposed to work: You and a friend are together, your friend holds out his/her hand, and you place the game disc in his/her hand. BAM. Game loaned. "Wont be available"? No. That means there is going to be some sort of PROCESS to it.... and that's not a good sign. Think about it: Why even PUT a process on something so simple as that? Particularly when you KNOW it's going to piss off your userbase? The ONLY reason to do this is if you get something out of it. What that something is, I'm not sure. But you can bet it isnt good for the consumer, because there's literally no benefit whatsoever to adding complications to something so simple. And that "cloud" bit doesnt count.

They can drench their words in honey as much as they want (and boy are they ever trying to do so), but that simply doesnt stop the problems from existing. Unfortunately for them, alot of gamers are actually bothering to read the "fine print", and this is causing them some trouble.

And heck, even their blasted excuses dont make sense:

"Take a second and step back from your viewpoint, if you work on a video game for years and then one bloke pays $50 for it and shares it with half a dozen friends – is that really fair? Sure, it makes life easy for you, but aren’t you slapping your favorite developers in the face at the same time? Xbox One allows you to still play your game with your friends and even completely give it to your best friend later, while allowing developers and publishers to get paid for their content."

Yes, actually, it IS fair. THINK about it. This is how pretty much every other type of product in the history of ever works. You can do this with DVDs. You can do this with books. You can do this with freaking cars (which are huge and freakishly expensive!). If you've BOUGHT a product, you should be able to do that sort of thing, so long as you are not engaged in the act of copying or piracy or stuff of that nature with it. But sharing it with friends? Those publishers have no right to complain about that one. The game industry has gotten along just fine WITH that idea in place, and developers/publishers have often been quite profitable indeed, some of them growing into absolute giants, even despite these *cough* "unfair" practices by their consumers. If a developer/publisher is having money issues.... SPEND LESS ON THE BLOODY DEVELOPMENT. Or make less idiotic business decisions. For most though, that simply isnt the case. It's just a matter of greed.

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2013, 9:15 pm

Misery wrote:
Ok, whoa. No. Here is how loaning is supposed to work: You and a friend are together, your friend holds out his/her hand, and you place the game disc in his/her hand. BAM. Game loaned. "Wont be available"? No. That means there is going to be some sort of PROCESS to it.... and that's not a good sign. Think about it: Why even PUT a process on something so simple as that? Particularly when you KNOW it's going to piss off your userbase? The ONLY reason to do this is if you get something out of it. What that something is, I'm not sure. But you can bet it isnt good for the consumer, because there's literally no benefit whatsoever to adding complications to something so simple. And that "cloud" bit doesnt count.

How else could you play without the disc without this kind of restriction? If that weren't in place, I could buy a game, install it and then lend you the disc and you could install it and play it all you want and then you could lend the disc to someone and they could play it all they want, etc etc. If your transitioning to a disc-less / digital only media, this is about the only way you can do it. Instead, Microsoft has implemented a system where, if you're one of the people I've selected, you can access my games at anytime from any system. It will be better than lending you the disc because it will be instantaneous and I won't have to worry about you losing or damaging the disc. I mean seriously, there are fewer restrictions with this than there is with Steam.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2013, 12:12 am

"Even less restrictions than steam!" :lol: Yeah, if you buy a console and a game, you MIGHT be able to play it...So much for the "console advantage"
All concerns about privacy and DRM aside, requiring would-be consumers to spring for Kinect2 and Xbox live is a bit like if Nintendo had REQUIRED the purchase of a "Power Glove" or "Power Pad" by their victims-errr, customers, in order for their game box to work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlkO-x6jANo

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2013, 12:17 am

Bataar wrote:
Misery wrote:

How else could you play without the disc without this kind of restriction? If that weren't in place, I could buy a game, install it and then lend you the disc and you could install it and play it all you want and then you could lend the disc to someone and they could play it all they want, etc etc. If your transitioning to a disc-less / digital only media, this is about the only way you can do it. Instead, Microsoft has implemented a system where, if you're one of the people I've selected, you can access my games at anytime from any system. It will be better than lending you the disc because it will be instantaneous and I won't have to worry about you losing or damaging the disc. I mean seriously, there are fewer restrictions with this than there is with Steam.

Actually, if you look at their licensing explanation page (which I believe was linked to in an earlier post on here), what it ACTUALLY says about that '10 chosen people" bit is that they're all "family members". They use the word "family" in there multiple times. You can bet that there WILL be some way of checking this, to make sure they are indeed legitimate family members. THINK about it: What company would be bloody stupid enough to instigate a system that essentially causes any purchased product to then burst into up to 10 free copies for you to then give away? Because that's what that type of access means when it comes to digital stuffs; it's essentially creating and then handing out free extra copies. You better believe THAT one would REALLY damage sales (and BADLY) if that was truly the case. Not to mention, that they've already rambled on about making sure that the publisher gets "their fair share". You think the PUBLISHERS would agree to a system that works with that freedom? Yeah. I dont think so. Actual family members ONLY.

And none of that excuses the simple fact that it shuts down the usual way of trading.

And beyond THAT, it would seem there's some very strange restrictions/small-print on the whole "people on my list access my games" bit.

Oh and yes.... then there's their "Share access to your games with everyone inside your home!" thing. It actually took awhile for the central issue with that one to register with me, so carefully was it worded. That whole thing where "anyone in your family/household can access any games!! ! This is a FEATURE!!!111" bit..... yeah. See, here's the thing..... literally every console... ALL of them.... that has ever been made.... has been able to do this. Here's how it works: Say I've got a console in my room, right? I've got some games on it. My brother, see, he wants to try some of them. So there's this special process that we use to make this happen; I move out of the way, and he sits down, and I give him the controller.... and, by some miracle, he is now able to play my games! If you want to get into the really ADVANCED bits of this, he could simply grab the console and it's 2 main cables... and MOVE them to his room for awhile! Mind-blowing, aint it? And heck; if he's got his own console? WHOA.... I hand him.... THE DISC. And he takes it and plays it. And. AND. This even works.... if it's not a family member, if maybe it's a guest or something. Wow. (and could I possibly put any more sarcasm into that? WE'LL NEVER KNOW)

Sarcastic and exaggerated, sure, but that's similar to Microsoft's own portrayal of a similar yet more complicated version of that process. And that's the thing.... that's ALL it is. It's the same damn idea, but they've worded it so that they could include it as an "important" bullet point for their device, likely because they didnt have enough good ones yet. And even then.... how often is this going to happen with multiple consoles in the same house? This is a very expensive device, that comes with OTHER expenses as well. Do you really think the majority of gamers are going to be able to afford MULTIPLES of this thing? Quite a ton of them will have trouble paying for just ONE. Those that CAN afford it (and have actual reason to then buy more than one) are pretty rare, particularly with the economy being the way it is. In other words... for most, this "feature" will mean literally nothing.

But instead of me rambling, there's a muuuuuch better way to explain all of the points that make this thing such a bad move:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryB-hdtpQRw

Angry Joe basically explaining (ranting about) the problems with the console. The value of the video is that he goes into extreme detail on WHY each bit of this is a problem. And comes up with some points that many may not have even thought of or realized yet. And he isnt someone that does this sort of thing without research, he actually does the legwork necessary and makes sure to read enough material to fully understand what's going on whenever possible. His video here is so far the best that I've seen explaining these problems. Even if he is darned angry about it, but then, if he WASNT displaying anger, he'd get a whole bunch of complaints about THAT since that's the persona he puts forth in all of his work.

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2013, 12:18 am

Bataar wrote:
Wow, it seems there are still misunderstandings to Microsoft's policies. Here's a good article that explains everything:
http://www.wpcentral.com/lets-talk-xbox-drm

Article hightlights:
"Let’s talk about “step one” – buying content. You will be able to buy a video game on Xbox One, physically or virtually, on the same day. Want to jump onto the “no physical media” bandwagon – go for it! Still want to buy discs and display your favorite titles on your shelf – that is cool also.

Even if you choose to buy a physical copy of the game, once installed, no discs are required. All of the content you buy will be linked to the Xbox cloud in addition to being stored on your console. Scratch that game disc and afraid you will never be able to play it again – that was the past!"

"Now, let’s talk about reselling your disc games and trading with friends. You will still be able to trade in your games at participating retailers. In addition, Microsoft won’t be charging any fees to retailers, publishers, or consumers for enabling transfer of games. Enjoy playing that game and then head to a store to trade it in for something else – reselling is not dead.

The new collection of DRM rules and restrictions attempts to allow friends and family to enjoy each other’s content while ensuring developers get paid. I know a lot of you like to think of game publishers and developers as “the man”, but truth is – the team of programmers and artists working on your favorite titles are trying to put food on their own family’s tables.

Take a second and step back from your viewpoint, if you work on a video game for years and then one bloke pays $50 for it and shares it with half a dozen friends – is that really fair? Sure, it makes life easy for you, but aren’t you slapping your favorite developers in the face at the same time? Xbox One allows you to still play your game with your friends and even completely give it to your best friend later, while allowing developers and publishers to get paid for their content."

Nope... there were no misunderstandings... we are talking logical outcroppings of the very same things.

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2013, 12:50 am

staremaster wrote:
"Even less restrictions than steam!" :lol: Yeah, if you buy a console and a game, you MIGHT be able to play it...So much for the "console advantage"
All concerns about privacy and DRM aside, requiring would-be consumers to spring for Kinect2 and Xbox live is a bit like if Nintendo had REQUIRED the purchase of a "Power Glove" or "Power Pad" by their victims-errr, customers, in order for their game box to work.

How do you lend a game you purchased on Steam to a friend?

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2013, 12:59 am

Bataar wrote:
staremaster wrote:

I think you have to "Gift" it? Am I correct? Also, my understanding of Steam is that SP games function offline, and and games in general frequently cost less than sixty dollars.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2013, 3:51 am

staremaster wrote:
Bataar wrote:
staremaster wrote:

I think you have to "Gift" it? Am I correct? Also, my understanding of Steam is that SP games function offline, and and games in general frequently cost less than sixty dollars.

If you've already installed a game, you cannot gift it. They've got a big FAQ thing up explaining how it works better than I could. Gifting and trading is a pretty big part of Steam though. My only problem with it is that in some cases, when special events are going on, you can end up with things you didnt know you had.... and it wont necessarily tell you this. I looked at my inventory earlier today to find there's a whole game in there I didnt know I even had. Definitely a surprise.

And before anyone jumps in with "HAH! You cant lend games to friends on Steam! That's an advantage the Xbox One has!", typically, the ability to lend games isnt even NEEDED. The prices are typically so absurdly low that in many cases it's easy to just outright buy multiple copies of something (and STILL be paying less than you would buying just ONE elsewhere), to give to friends if needed.... or even better (and more commonly) they'll often offer "multipacks" which is numerous copies of the game, usually 2 or 4, for a much discounted price, so that you have extras for friends. Generally this is done with multiplayer games.

.....not to mention it's a PC. Game loaning has NEVER been done on PC with most games (which means that PC gamers are generally used to it, unlike console gamers which are used to the opposite). Generally though it makes up for this by there being lots of good stuff that's either super-cheap or outright free. Honestly, I cant remember the last time I payed 50 or 60 for a single game on there, but I CAN remember lots of less-than-15-dollar ones that I got WAY more gameplay out of than their 60-dollar console counterparts.

.....there was something else related to this whole thing that I was going to mention, but now I cant remember what it was. Bah. I hate when that happens.

sixstring
Toucan
Toucan

17 Jun 2013, 2:25 pm

Bataar wrote:
Did you feel the same way when Netflix, Hulu, and other streaming services started taking over movies on DVD? What about when iTunes and other digital stores started replacing music on CDs? What's the difference? When a new game comes out, would you rather have to go to Gamestop and pick it up, order it on Amazon and pay/wait for shipping or just download the thing for probably less money?
I did. Streaming services and digital versions of movies and music is way inferior quality-wise to the disc-based versions.
I don't see discs disappearing for at the very least another decade.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2013, 4:38 pm

Microsoft decided to remove the obligation to connect every 24 hours.

http://kotaku.com/microsoft-is-removing-xbox-one-drm-514390310

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2013, 4:56 pm

http://www.redmondpie.com/microsoft-rev ... supported/

Not just that... they are fixing most places

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2013, 8:55 am

I'm kind of sad to see this change happening. I was looking forward to the new features this would have brought. Here's a good bit describing what we're losing now:

Your game library won't be digital

Steam is awesome. It keeps games organized, creating a digital library of all of the PC games you've purchased, even if you picked them up via retail. When it was revealed that the Xbox One would be following with a similar system, we were so happy we felt like we were almost ready to abandon our ties to used games and being able to play games offline. Just put a game into your Xbox One, redeem a code, install it, and bam--it's in your system. Lose your copy of Halo 5? Your old Grand Theft Auto VI disc is scratched to hell? Whatever, just download it again. It's all digital. It's all in the cloud.

The idea that every game, digital or not, would be absorbed into a digital library is fantastic. And now it's gone. With the changes to the Xbox One's systems--namely the ones that allow used games and game rentals--it isn't as easy to tie a game to an account. Your digital games will still be digital, just as they are with the Xbox 360, but games you buy in the store will be locked onto the disc.

You can't share your library with 10 family members

Another benefit of the constant internet connection (and digital game library) was the ability to share games with up to 10 family members. While the details weren't laid out perfectly, the jist of it was that you'd have a list of other people that could essentially borrow a game at any time. If you had a copy of Call of Duty: Ghosts on your Xbox One but no one was playing it at the time, your cousin in Missouri could download and play it. And your uncle in Minnesota could be playing your copy of Ryse at the very same time. Sadly, this feature is being cut as well.

But... we actually don't understand why. Sure, your retail, disc-based games couldn't apply--they wouldn't be actively tied to your account--but what about your digital downloads? And why couldn't shared games work with 10 family members as long as they connect every 24 hours? There's always a chance Microsoft could add this back into the mix, but as of now, it's gone.

There's no gifting purchased games online

If you want to give an Xbox One game to a friend when the system comes out in November, you can just give an Xbox One game to a friend. Like, you'll be able to drive to their house, hand them a game, and then drive away. Easy, right? Well, it was going to be easier at one point. Originally, Microsoft was going to allow you to transfer your digital license to someone who has been on your friend list for 30 days. This essentially meant that you'd be able to trade games with friends online. There were limitations, of course, but it was a cool idea.

Thanks to the newly-lifted restrictions, this is no longer an option. Instead, the future is going to look a lot like the current-generation does. This is cool, but we liked seeing Microsoft take a step forward and embracing the digital future. Again, we see no reason why this couldn't still work for digital titles, since things bought through Xbox Live are tied to your account, but no matter--it's dead, for now.

The disc needs to be in the Xbox One even if you've installed game
The upside of needing to register and install every game you purchase at retail was the fact that, once it was registered and installed, you didn't need the disc anymore. You could throw it back in its box, toss it in a closet, and forget about it. It didn't need to be in the system--meaning the console would run quieter--and it didn't need to be checked in on ever again.

But now, because used games and stuff, you need to have the disc in at all times. Otherwise there's nothing to stop you from installing a game and then returning it, or giving it to a few friends so they can install it, too. It's a minor inconvenience, but an inconvenience nevertheless.

It makes cloud computing less attractive for developers

During the Xbox One's reveal, Microsoft made a big deal out of the fact that it's got 300,000 servers at the ready to help offload some resource-intensive processes normally crunched by console hardware. Granted, we were never really given any specifics as to how this will affect your games aside from "making them better," but it does free up resources, which could be put to use improving some aspect of a game.

Multiplayer games will undoubtedly still tap into Microsoft's cloud computing service, as will online applications such as Netflix or HBO Go, making for a smoother experience. But what about single-player games? With developers having no guarantee that Xbox One users have an internet connection, committing to the power of cloud computing might be a harder sell, as doing so would risk missing out on potential sales.

There's less potential for game price drops

When Microsoft announced that games would be tied to your Xbox Live account--not the physical disc--console gamers lamented the inevitable death of game rentals and trading. But PC gamers have lived in such an ecosystem for years, relying on license-based services such as Steam and Origin. While the downside of this system includes the very concerns many console gamers decried, the upswing is that it creates an environment in which game sales are frequent and substantial.

Now, we can't say with certainty that Microsoft's license-based plans would've led to cheaper prices for games, but it's not difficult to imagine the potential. Just look at Steam--every other week, there's a brand new game on sale for, say, $40. Because games will remain tied to physical copies, we'll likely see the current retail pricing strategies remain intact.

The end of days

There are, obviously, benefits to the Xbox's reversal. The system now supports game rentals, used game sales, and doesn't require an online check in. In other words, it's just like your Xbox 360, except with better graphics. If that's what you were fighting for, then you've won this battle--otherwise, this move might be a step back for the industry, no matter how bad it seemed at first.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2013, 9:22 am

Misery wrote:

.....not to mention it's a PC. Game loaning has NEVER been done on PC with most games (which means that PC gamers are generally used to it, unlike console gamers which are used to the opposite). Generally though it makes up for this by there being lots of good stuff that's either super-cheap or outright free. Honestly, I cant remember the last time I payed 50 or 60 for a single game on there, but I CAN remember lots of less-than-15-dollar ones that I got WAY more gameplay out of than their 60-dollar console counterparts.

As a PC user: Nope. We are used to cracking damaged games to repair them. If I buy myself a bicylce it is mine, and it is upon me who I want to borrow my bicycle. If I buy a game, and the developer damaged the game by purpose, then its ok for me to make it functioning again. Yes I know, that most developers, write something else into their policy to agree, but luckily I live in a country, where corrupt contracts are never binding, anyway how often you sign it. If the contract itself is against the law of my country, they can f**k off.

Misery
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2013, 8:11 pm

Schneekugel wrote:
Misery wrote:

As a PC user: Nope. We are used to cracking damaged games to repair them. If I buy myself a bicylce it is mine, and it is upon me who I want to borrow my bicycle. If I buy a game, and the developer damaged the game by purpose, then its ok for me to make it functioning again. Yes I know, that most developers, write something else into their policy to agree, but luckily I live in a country, where corrupt contracts are never binding, anyway how often you sign it. If the contract itself is against the law of my country, they can f**k off.

.....er.... that's not actually borrowing though. Or "repairing" for that matter. If I'm reading what you're saying properly.

"Borrowing" means that you have something, and you hand it to a friend, and for the duration of them having it, YOU do in fact NOT have it, until they give it back, at which point THEY do in fact NOT have it.

COPYING is a whole different story, and it does more damage than you might think. "Contract" or no. If you like a game, or a developer.... SUPPORT them by properly paying for the game. Because if people dont? That's what makes them shut down, as happens sometimes.

And really..... it's super freaking rare that PC games HAVE "horrible contracts" that interfere in any way, or features that interfere. That's not to say there ARENT any..... for example, anything that requires freaking Origin.... but still, it's pretty darn rare. I have 200+ games on my machine..... and MAYBE 4 of them have something obnoxious required that interferes. The other 196 dont.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2013, 4:42 am

What I mean is borrowing. Giving a personal friend of mine I personally know my physical Game CD, for him to install the game and play it, while I dont play it. During the last decade you have more and more PC games that dont let you do that, that want to steal your owners right by babbling nonsense into their policies like that I wouldnt have purchased the game, but only the right to use it and such nonsense. So as a PC-gamer you are used to inform yourself about cracking games or getting game keys, because of you buying a damaged CD that wont work as it should. Some of that games are even so dumb programmed, that if you buy a new PC you cant install your own game from the original PC anymore, because of their f*****g spyware reading out your hardware and IP and so knowing that the CD has been installed again on another PC and so refusing you to let you play with YOUR game YOU bought on YOUR PC.

If I buy a bicycle with a device that will destroy my bike, when I decide to borrow it to a friend then this is illegal s**t and I have every right to undo that and repair MY property, because the only one that has a right to decide what I want to do with my official bought property (not an illegal copy of it, but the original that I officially own) is me.