Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Scoots5012
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2007, 4:42 pm

Just how hot are you when your healthy.

They say normal body temp is 98.6. My body temp has always 97 degrees.

Anyone else the same?

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2007, 4:44 pm

Mine has always been a little lower than 98 degrees.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2007, 5:02 pm

Mine is 96 degrees.

scrulie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2007, 5:17 pm

Mine's always been lower than that.

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2007, 5:36 pm

My average body temp is around 97. There is a system for charting fertility, where you watch your temperature, as there is a temperature peak during ovulation (so you can use it to conceive or avoid, depending on what you want). My body temperature was so low all the time I had trouble doing what the book told me to do, I didn't match any of the charts.

OddDuckNash99
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2007, 5:40 pm

Wow. That's freaky. Same with me- always lower. I was 98.6 this last couple of times I went to the doctor, though. Maybe I outgrew it, or maybe they have different thermometers. Who knows? What I do know is that I hardly ever get a fever when I'm sick, and for me, 99.9 degrees is a fever.
-OddDuckNash99-

Nash: Is there a difference?

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

17 Jan 2007, 6:02 pm

The 98.6 F is a myth. body temperture varies not only person to person but a person's own temperture may vary a few degrees in
a day.
Maxium energy level it high and lowwer your sleepy.

One thing you might need to think about is hypothyroism. I have
it and take 50 mcg levothyroxine. Low body temperture can be a sigh of hypothyroidism.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2007, 6:21 pm

My body temperature used to always be PRECISELY 97.6. One degree below normal. NOW, it seems to vary, but it never goes over 98.

Steve

Xenon
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2007, 9:14 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
it and take 50 mcg levothyroxine. Low body temperture can be a sigh of hypothyroidism.

That's what tipped my doctor off to the fact that my thyroid was under-functioning. That, and the fact that I was in his office on a hot summer day (80°F / 27°C) outside, and yet I needed a sweater because I was cold... He put me on thyroid meds (initially Thyroxine, now Levothyroxine), and the problem was solved.

(I still remember the time, before going on thyroid meds, that I woke up one morning feeling like hell. Thinking I might have the flu, I took my temperature, wondering if I had a fever. And it was just under 35°C / 95°F...)

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2007, 9:24 pm

Xenon wrote:
TheMachine1 wrote:

That's what tipped my doctor off to the fact that my thyroid was under-functioning. That, and the fact that I was in his office on a hot summer day (80°F / 27°C) outside, and yet I needed a sweater because I was cold... He put me on thyroid meds (initially Thyroxine, now Levothyroxine), and the problem was solved.

(I still remember the time, before going on thyroid meds, that I woke up one morning feeling like hell. Thinking I might have the flu, I took my temperature, wondering if I had a fever. And it was just under 35°C / 95°F...)

I actually checked this with 2-3 doctors. I have NO thyroid problems.

Steve

Immortal
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2007, 9:54 pm

Mine is usually between 96 and 97

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2007, 9:58 pm

My normal temperature is slightly lower than 98.6, probably around 98.4.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2007, 11:46 pm

Usually about 35.5 celcius, which is slightly lower than 96 farenheit, for all of you who don't do celcius. :)

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2007, 11:51 pm

http://www.advance-health.com/HypoThyroid.html

Quote:
The basal temperature test is a simple test that you can do yourself. Remember that the basal temperature test is a measurement, not a diagnosis. There are other factors that can alter the results of the basal temperature test. These include hypoadrenal function, illness (which can elevate temperature) and menstruation ( which elevates temperature). Dr. Barnes found that normal underarm or oral temperatures immediately upon awakening in the morning (while still in bed) are in the range of 97.8 to 98.2 degrees Fahrenheit. He believed that a temperature below 97.8 indicated hypothyroidism; and one above 98.2, hyperthyroidism (overactive thyroid)

You can read more on the site. The under arm reading is not needed an oral,ear, etc will work.

bizarre
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2007, 11:54 pm

My temp has always been normally 97 degrees too. The doctor thought i had hyperthyroid and did a scan and it was normal.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2007, 12:03 am

bizarre wrote:
My temp has always been normally 97 degrees too. The doctor thought i had hyperthyroid and did a scan and it was normal.

Its old school and consider alternative medicine but some go by temperture and pulse in the morning as the true need for thyroid hormone. Verses the standard way will be to compare blood levels
to a chart. Which is fine if it really applies to all people.

http://www.holistichelp.net/hypothyroidism.html

Quote:
A temperature and pulse that consistently runs low, may suggest that there is a need to place the patient on thyroid therapy. Generally a pulse running 65 or below may suggest lower thyroid function. The normal basal temperature runs between 97.8F and 98.2 F. A temperature running below 97.6 indicates the possibility of low thyroid function. The most accurate way of checking the body’s metabolic rate is with the axillary (meaning under the arm) temperature.