Why do people give others a hard time?

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Caseyfritz
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Jun 2013, 11:23 pm

Hmm, bonding by exclusion. I discovered today by talking with another co-worker about the other guy that he gives everyone a hard time apparently. I'm not sure how accurate that is since I never see it, but he seems to give me a harder one. Like I said it doesn't bother me usually unless they hammer it in all day long, then it starts getting annoying.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 4:06 pm

Once a bully, always a piece of cr*p.

How many people are involved, it seems like one main antagonist but how big is the group? Is it a whole department, are some outside of this guy's influence?

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2013, 7:20 pm

I've noticed that there's an uncanny valley kind of thing that goes on when it comes to group prejudice against the "outcast". If you're so obviously different that you will never be "in with the group" people will tend to leave you alone, accept your differences, and treat you with a distant semblance of respect - especially if you're good at your job. However, if you're close to being like them, i.e. actively trying to fit in but not quite making the bar, suddenly you are fair game to them and they will tease you mercilessly. It sucks but I don't know what else to say other than try not to bother with such people or try to be friendly with them other than in a professional sense. Find the other loners to strike up casual conversation with and just ignore the as*hole crowd.