Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2013, 2:33 am

Mike1 wrote:
We should have an Aspie signal. I propose that our Aspie signal should be making the American Sign Language letter A with your hand while touching the thumb of that hand to the side of your temple. If they're not an Aspie, then they probably wouldn't recognize the signal so they wouldn't be offended by it. If they are an Aspie and are familiar with the signal, then they would probably alert you if they're an Aspie too.

No need. There are already lots of innate Aspie signals. Learn to use them instead of inventing something nobody will understand unless they read WP.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2013, 2:38 am

kvinneakt wrote:
Newly enlightened aspie here. Have many questions a novice with this self-knowledge might have.

I am an old guy, mostly harmless. There is a young woman I work with who i think is aspie.

Is it ok to just ask her? "Are you aspie?"

Quite serious about this. I am not flirting or have any motive other than a tentative connection with someone who may share the suffering.

I don't think it is a good idea to ask anybody if they are Aspie. The way I go about it is that if I sense somebody is an Aspie, is that I will stop using my NT adaptations and act naturally. My level of conforming to expected social norms is strongly correlated to level of Aspie traits in people in surroundings.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2013, 3:20 am

It wouldn't bother me if someone asked such.

People have already asked my mother, i.e., "I have a son with autism too", when we've been out.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 5:45 am

StarTrekker wrote:
Why would you be offended, Skilpaddle? It's the truth, and there's nothing wrong in having it. If anyone came up and asked if I were an aspie, I'd congratulate them on their intuitiveness and say they were right. What's to be offended by?

Sorry, StarTrekker, I forgot about your question.

If you see someone who is fat you know it's considered rude to go up the person and tell them. If you see someone with Down's syndrome you're not supposed to call them unintelligent or make them conscious about it. You're not supposed to point out to people their deficiencies. It doesn't matter that it’s true or obvious. What someone asking me if I’m aspie is really saying is: “You seem to be socially and communicatively ret*d. Am I correct in my observation?”
Yeah, thanks for making me even more aware of it than I already am! This should really help me communicate with you :roll:
So, of course there's something wrong with calling me out as an aspie. And of course there's something wrong about having it. It's a source of grief. I'm not happy about my brain being malfunctioning and having wrong faulty connections. I've never wanted my brain to be sick! :cry:
I'm as far into the closet as I can be, and no-one has the right to try to force-out me. My private shame should stay private. I want no attention drawn to it. If asked, I'd deny it. But regardless of how I view it, it’s a very personal question about a topic it should be obvious can be a sensitive one, and people should never ask about such things at all, only listen if someone is willing to share such information with them.

And if OP is wrong about her, don’t expect her to ever see him as anything but incredible offensive after that exchange.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765