Page 9 of 13 [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2020, 5:10 am

Karamazov wrote:
AprilR wrote:
^ I haven't read the novel yet but i figure i will like him in any adaptation.

Aye, I strongly identified with him from a serialised radio adaptation on the beeb in the mid 90s.
There’s much more backstory and filling out of his character in the novel than the musical, hope you enjoy it if you get round to reading it.

I would love to read it except i hated the ending. I would like to see a happy ending for him.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2020, 1:40 pm

AprilR wrote:
Karamazov wrote:
AprilR wrote:

Aye, I strongly identified with him from a serialised radio adaptation on the beeb in the mid 90s.
There’s much more backstory and filling out of his character in the novel than the musical, hope you enjoy it if you get round to reading it.

I would love to read it except i hated the ending. I would like to see a happy ending for him.

But then he wouldn’t be the tragic anti-hero! :o 8O :lol:

(Edit: in French melodrama, obviously in English romance that title is Heathcliff’s)

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2020, 2:33 pm

Karamazov wrote:
AprilR wrote:
Karamazov wrote:
AprilR wrote:

(Edit: in French melodrama, obviously in English romance that title is Heathcliff’s)

I know, that's my predicament, i love tragic stories but always end up heartbroken over those characters. I like happy endings. Also ouch at Heathcliff, i am so conflicted over his character too..

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2020, 2:41 pm

AprilR wrote:
Karamazov wrote:
AprilR wrote:
Karamazov wrote:
AprilR wrote:

I know, that's my predicament, i love tragic stories but always end up heartbroken over those characters. I like happy endings. Also ouch at Heathcliff, i am so conflicted over his character too..

I know, you love them, but you can’t like them.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2020, 2:47 pm

Karamazov wrote:
AprilR wrote:
Karamazov wrote:
AprilR wrote:
Karamazov wrote:
AprilR wrote:

Exactly :? I also love characters with no redeeming qualities whatsoever still falling in love too.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2020, 2:51 pm

AprilR wrote:
Karamazov wrote:
AprilR wrote:
Karamazov wrote:
AprilR wrote:
Karamazov wrote:
AprilR wrote:

Exactly :? I also love characters with no redeeming qualities whatsoever still falling in love too.

And that just reminded me of another fictional crush:

Hans Christian Andersen’s Snow Queen.

Edit: also, The White Witch from The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe as played by Barbara Kellerman in the BBC tv serialisation.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2020, 3:02 pm

Karamazov wrote:
AprilR wrote:
Karamazov wrote:
AprilR wrote:
Karamazov wrote:
AprilR wrote:
Karamazov wrote:
AprilR wrote:

And that just reminded me of another fictional crush:

Hans Christian Andersen’s Snow Queen.

I remember reading this story years ago. Another one of mine is Raistlin from the Dragonlance series. (i shipped him with Crysania Hahah)

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2020, 3:21 pm

^ haven’t read that one, what’s the basic premise and how would you rate it?

Had a bit of a thing for Sansa Stark now I’m reviewing my fictional crushes...
Damsel in distress transforms into ruthless ice-maiden:
That’s two of my pathological weaknesses all at once, now all you need to do is portray her as a competent woman on the job who doesn’t need a man and...
Oh, you’ve done it. Full house :lol:
And getting a ginger lass to play her really wasn’t playing fair either :roll: :lol:

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2020, 3:32 pm

Karamazov wrote:

That’s two of my pathological weaknesses all at once, now all you need to do is portray her as a competent woman on the job who doesn’t need a man and...
And getting a ginger lass to play her really wasn’t playing fair either :roll: :lol:

*spoiler alert for the dragonlance series*
Raistlin is a sickly,evil, intelligent and manipulative sorcerer with a dark past and he had a sort of(?) romantic relationship with a naive priestess who sacrificed herself for him. That's what i remember from reading the books out of order at age 17 anyways. It's a great series which i highly recommend if you like fantastic fiction btw.

I love those sort of characters too, even though i never watched Got from what i know Sansa is one of my favorites from the female characters.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2020, 3:40 pm

AprilR wrote:
Karamazov wrote:

Raistlin is a sickly,evil, intelligent and manipulative sorcerer with a dark past and he had a sort of(?) romantic relationship with a naive priestess who sacrificed herself for him. That's what i remember from reading the books out of order at age 17 anyways. It's a great series which i highly recommend if you like fantastic fiction btw.

I love those sort of characters too, even though i never watched Got from what i know Sansa is one of my favorites from the female characters.

Sounds intriguing: I’ll look out for it in my local oxfam bookshop :)

Yes, her character arc is probably one of the best in the series: although she’s on the receiving end of a lot more brutality in the TV version... although that was a notorious controversy of the adaptation, so you’re probably already aware of that.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2020, 3:51 pm

Karamazov wrote:
AprilR wrote:
Karamazov wrote:

Yes, her character arc is probably one of the best in the series: although she’s on the receiving end of a lot more brutality in the TV version... although that was a notorious controversy of the adaptation, so you’re probably already aware of that.

I highly recommend Dragonlance, it was my favorite fantastic series after Lord of the Rings and Tolkien's works.
Got universe in general doesn't seem too kind to female characters, part of the reason i never gotten too interested in the series.

Karamazov
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2020, 4:25 pm

AprilR wrote:
Karamazov wrote:
AprilR wrote:
Karamazov wrote:

I highly recommend Dragonlance, it was my favorite fantastic series after Lord of the Rings and Tolkien's works.
Got universe in general doesn't seem too kind to female characters, part of the reason i never gotten too interested in the series.

Well that would be true: he goes for brutal realism in terms of creating a medieval Europe themed world...
although the worst scenes involving principle female characters in the TV aren’t in the books, there’s plenty of sickening treatment of secondary female characters in the books that was edited out for TV.
It can be a harrowing read: I’ve enjoyed it so far on the whole, but I haven’t recommended it to anyone either for that reason.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2020, 11:22 pm

Huntress from Birds Of Prey.

Out of all the members, she is the relatively normal one, sometimes saying to herself, "What am I doing with all these women including the pickpocket girl?"

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2020, 1:35 pm

Lan Wangji from Mdzs

I love belko61
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2020, 10:15 pm

When I was young it was Luke Skywalker until I saw him gargle gherkins on The Muppet Show.

Anything Harrison Ford or Sean Connery through my 30s.

Lancelot in First Knight after the rescue and the rain scene.

Dorian in Almost Human

Mr Darcy (Colin Firth version)

Spock (all actors). I just want to be around him - he's almost perfect!

hariboci
Raven
Raven

06 Mar 2020, 12:14 pm

AprilR wrote:
Lan Wangji from Mdzs

Haha I preferred him too to Wei Wuxian :lol: