Page 7 of 13 [ 208 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 13  Next

Zaarin
Raven
Raven

30 Sep 2017, 9:47 pm

shadowself wrote:
LOTR - Eowyn, both in the book and the movie.

I hated what the films did to her. Book Éowyn is cold as ice and tough as nails. She iss attracted to Aragorn's power rather than Aragorn personally; when denied that power and the chance to prove her valor, she rides off to battle in a fey mood. She also calls Aragorn out on being a sexist jerk in one of the most powerful passages in the novels, only the weakest portion of which was retained in the films (presumably to keep Aragorn looking heroic). Film Éowyn is like a giggly schoolgirl with a crush on Aragorn, and rides off to battle in a fey mood only after being disappointed in love. (None of this is Miranda Otto's fault--I thought her acting was first-rate--but the writing stripped away a great deal of the character's awe-inducing effect IMO. I'm endlessly amazed that a character from a book written by a conservative Catholic in the 50s is more feminist and empowering than her 2000s film adaptation.) All that being said, I think I'd like film Éowyn just fine were she not such a pale shadow of Éowyn as Tolkien wrote her. Then again, many characters suffered character assassination or major personality alterations in Jackson's films: Aragorn, Merry, Pippin, Faramir, Théoden King, even Gandalf... :(

--"Galadriel's Song of Eldamar"

shadowself
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2017, 10:24 pm

Come to think of it, I found the actress who played Eowyn very attractive, especially her face and smile. The character was not the same at all, and did lack lack virtually all of the inner grit and ambition that Eowyn in the book had. Watching her impale a Nazgul's face though..... that was still great.

One eye opened slowly, green and gold as sunlight in the woods. The cat said,"I am what I am. I would tell you what you want to know if I could, for you have been kind to me. But I am a cat, and no cat anywhere ever gave anyone a straight answer."

Zaarin
Raven
Raven

01 Oct 2017, 1:29 pm

shadowself wrote:
Come to think of it, I found the actress who played Eowyn very attractive, especially her face and smile. The character was not the same at all, and did lack lack virtually all of the inner grit and ambition that Eowyn in the book had. Watching her impale a Nazgul's face though..... that was still great.

She does have a lovely smile.

EclecticWarrior
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2017, 8:40 pm

I have a major, MAJOR crush on Balthazar Bratt from Despicable Me 3.

I've also had crushes on:

Giovanni from Pokémon
Waluigi
Robbie Rotten and Sportacus from Lazytown
L, Mello and Near from Death Note

I'm bisexual but all my fictional crushes are on men, albeit in many cases being androgynous, gender nonconforming or ambiguously gay.

WP's most sparkling member.

DX classic autism 1995, AS 2003, depression 2008

~INFP~

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2017, 7:30 am

I have quite the nerd crush on the character Ahsoka Tano from Star Wars: The Clone Wars & Star Wars Rebels animated series. :heart:

candleghost
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

12 Oct 2017, 8:50 pm

Cassie (Skins)
Vegeta (DBZ)
Lisbeth Salander (Girl With The Dragon Tattoo/Millenium series)
Raven (Teen Titans)
Shane (The L Word)
Mulder (X-Files)
Spencer Reid (Criminal Minds)

ReticentJaeger
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2017, 1:04 am

ReticentJaeger wrote:
Edmund Pevensie from Narnia.

It was both a crush and an extreme sense of admiration; he was everything I wanted to be.

Three years later, and this has not changed. :oops:

Zaarin wrote:
Straight guy here, but Skandar Keynes was definitely the best actor of the four kids. Incidentally, my last real-life crush was on a girl who looked like a prettier clone of Anna Popplewell. :lol: She's getting married next month...(My friend, not Anna Popplewell. Not that I know of, anyway. :p )

Skandar was amazing, but Georgie actually takes the cake for my favorite actor in anything ever. Love and admire them both to death. Anna apparently got married in 2016. He's a lucky man. She's gorgeous.

Zaarin
Raven
Raven

26 Oct 2017, 6:35 pm

ReticentJaeger wrote:
ReticentJaeger wrote:
Edmund Pevensie from Narnia.

It was both a crush and an extreme sense of admiration; he was everything I wanted to be.

Three years later, and this has not changed. :oops:

Zaarin wrote:
Straight guy here, but Skandar Keynes was definitely the best actor of the four kids. Incidentally, my last real-life crush was on a girl who looked like a prettier clone of Anna Popplewell. :lol: She's getting married next month...(My friend, not Anna Popplewell. Not that I know of, anyway. :p )

Skandar was amazing, but Georgie actually takes the cake for my favorite actor in anything ever. Love and admire them both to death. Anna apparently got married in 2016. He's a lucky man. She's gorgeous.

Yes, she is. I thought Fox's adaptation of Voyage of the Dawntreader to be overall horrible, but I admit to some swooning over Susan in that vintage Forties finery. :heart:

PhosphorusDecree
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2017, 5:22 pm

AspergersActor8693 wrote:
I have quite the nerd crush on the character Ahsoka Tano from Star Wars: The Clone Wars & Star Wars Rebels animated series. :heart:

Ahsoka's great an' all, but MY heart belongs to Hera Syndulla.

...yes, my most significant crush right now is not only fictional, but an animated green alien.

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2017, 10:06 pm

PhosphorusDecree wrote:

Ahsoka's great an' all, but MY heart belongs to Hera Syndulla.

...yes, my most significant crush right now is not only fictional, but an animated green alien.

^Hey, mine is a fictional, animated orange, white, and blue alien, so we're in the same boat. :wtg:

Hera is unquestionably my favorite character of Phoenix Squadron. I wouldn't say I have a crush on her like I do with Ahsoka, but nonetheless I love the leadership aspect of her character. She really is the galaxies best space mom. :mrgreen:

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2017, 2:56 pm

David Fisher, Six Feet Under (Michael C. Hall) :D :P :heart:

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2017, 2:34 pm

I've had crushes on fictional characters since i was about 13, mostly on characters from anime and asian dramas..

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2017, 11:04 pm

I have been informed that it is not uncommon to have more than one crush, which is good because there is another lady of animation that I have found myself having a crush on. She would be Raven from Teen Titans (not Go!).

Between Raven and Ahsoka Tano, I must have a thing for non-human women. :shrug:

bamsaidthelady
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Nov 2017, 12:32 am

- Jasmine from Disney's Aladdin
- Leia in Return of the Jedi
- Dana Scully, The X-Files
- Liara T'Soni, Mass Effect
- Kaylee, Firefly
- Kristen Bell's character in Fanboys (Zoe I think)

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2018, 2:21 pm

David Fisher, Six Feet Under :heart:

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2018, 3:01 pm

Wang So from Moon Lovers recently..