Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Nymeria8
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 4:16 pm

I tried to resist but my AS won...I just have to say as an FYI that though we see Sheldon very much as a representation of ASD, the writers and actors have been very careful never to actually say that Sheldon has AS specifically. In fact, one of the executive producers/creator/writer has a son on the spectrum and so it is of great concern to all involved how the subject is handled.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 5:36 pm

Nymeria8 wrote:
I tried to resist but my AS won...I just have to say as an FYI that though we see Sheldon very much as a representation of ASD, the writers and actors have been very careful never to actually say that Sheldon has AS specifically. In fact, one of the executive producers/creator/writer has a son on the spectrum and so it is of great concern to all involved how the subject is handled.

I knew Sheldon was based on a real person who almost certainly has Asperger's, but I hadn't known before that a producer/writer/creator on the show has a son on the spectrum.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 4:13 am

CAL_1138 wrote:
I have always wondered why people don't find this character offensive... the whole point of each show is what an ass Sheldon is... this is terrible for the aspie community. Maybe a small part of society thinks he is cool but most the rest of the world will just use it against us...

Anyone who takes a sitcom character seriously isn't someone who's opinion I take seriously... ;)

Ironically, many neuro-ninnies equate autism with diminished intelligence...
That can't be said about Sheldon Lee Cooper...
Personally I think he is an asset to the aspie community... ;)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 6:26 am

Pepe wrote:
CAL_1138 wrote:
I have always wondered why people don't find this character offensive... the whole point of each show is what an ass Sheldon is... this is terrible for the aspie community. Maybe a small part of society thinks he is cool but most the rest of the world will just use it against us...

Anyone who takes a sitcom character seriously isn't someone who's opinion I take seriously... ;)

Ironically, many neuro-ninnies equate autism with diminished intelligence...
That can't be said about Sheldon Lee Cooper...
Personally I think he is an asset to the aspie community... ;)

I always thought so. Despite his quirkiness and unintentional rudeness, Sheldon is intelligent and capable - an important role model for us Aspies.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 6:35 am

Kraichgauer wrote:

I always thought so. Despite his quirkiness and unintentional rudeness, Sheldon is intelligent and capable - an important role model for us Aspies.

I have said exactly the same thing in the past...

EDIT:
And you made a good point about the unintentionality of his rudeness...
Perhaps the message will get through to people that intention is a major consideration when communicating with someone who is on the spectrum...

"Penny"(in the sitcom) in particular understands this and is very tolerant because she knows that Sheldon has problems seeing other people's perspectives and is often/usually unaware of how he comes across...

The problem is, NTs are more emotion based/influenced (in comparison) while an aspie's communication mechanism is more intellectually/cognitively oriented...
And hence, the confusion, angst and often hostility between the two species... ;)

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 7:45 pm

I've only just now seen this "Big Bang Theory" show since I don't watch television but my sister watches it so I overhear it while cooking. Anyway I find it patronizing and overall lame.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 9:51 pm

1000Knives wrote:
I've only just now seen this "Big Bang Theory" show since I don't watch television but my sister watches it so I overhear it while cooking. Anyway I find it patronizing and overall lame.

I think you need a bigger sampling if you want to create a more informative opinion.
It would probably be a good idea to sit down and watch an episode in it's entirety, rather than be distracted by the process of cooking.

I would also suggest you view a number of episodes and try to keep an open mind.
Then it might be a good idea to take into consideration reasons why those who like the sitcom do so...

Here are some of my reasons why I consider TBBT my favourite sitcom:
* It teaches people to think more critically...
It incorporates the methodology of scientific investigative/logical thinking.
* For those who understand the autistic connection with the Sheldon Lee Cooper character, it might help to correct the fallacious belief that those on the autistic spectrum lack intelligence.
Many people aren't aware that Albert Einstein and Issac Newton are believed to have been on the spectrum.
* It is very informative.
The amount of research for the material in the show is seemingly very accurate.
The show introduces new, more intellectual concepts into mainstream society...
And mainstream society desperately needs educating...

This show can be enjoyed on a number of different levels...
Like The Simpsons... ;)

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2013, 3:30 am

Pepe wrote:
Here are some of my reasons why I consider TBBT my favourite sitcom:
* It teaches people to think more critically...
It incorporates the methodology of scientific investigative/logical thinking.[/quote

How does it make them think more critically? If they haven't learned how to think critically from a good education, then how is a tv sitcom going to do that?

Quote:
The amount of research for the material in the show is seemingly very accurate.
The show introduces new, more intellectual concepts into mainstream society...

Only minor soundbites. Hardly anything substantial.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2013, 4:59 am

eric76 wrote:
How does it make them think more critically? If they haven't learned how to think critically from a good education, then how is a tv sitcom going to do that?

It has taught me different ways of critical thinking in different areas...
I'm 50+ and have a very cognitive/intellectual/autistic disposition and yet I was/am able to glean greater enlightenment from the show...

However, you make a valid point...
"You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink..."

Q: How many psychiatrists does it take to change a light bulb?
A: One, but the light bulb has got to want to change...

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2013, 5:57 am

Pepe wrote:
eric76 wrote:

It has taught me different ways of critical thinking in different areas...
I'm 50+ and have a very cognitive/intellectual/autistic disposition and yet I was/am able to glean greater enlightenment from the show...

That's interesting. In what ways has it given you greater enlightenment?

Occasionally, I see some aspects of myself in one or another of the characters, but as far as my own critical thinking and views of the world, I can't see that it has made any difference at all.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2013, 6:36 am

eric76 wrote:

That's interesting. In what ways has it given you greater enlightenment?

The show gave me many starting points for investigation...

There was a TBBT episode where Leonard and Leslie Winkle engaged in sexual satiation.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJFvYuxyF3A
It inspired me to investigate the chemical reaction aspect of sexual arousal...
What chemicals were involved...
The creation of the psychological bonding mechanism as a result of endorphins, dopamine, etc...

Were you aware that Oxytocin is known as "the love drug"?
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/1 ... 29762.html
I wasn't before...
I am now... ;)

And then you have the obvious example of seeing autistic characteristics in a different light, abate as a gross exaggeration...
It even inspired in me the belief that Sheldon Lee Cooper could be a positive ambassador and teacher for the autistic community...

Also, previously I wasn't aware that there was a reflective disc on the moon, left by the astronauts, allowing the verification of man's visit...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_Lase ... experiment

Through the series I was introduced to string theory, the Hadron collider, Higgs boson particles, Sheldon's aversion to dirty old socks, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc,... ;)

ModusPonens
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2013, 8:03 am

There's an episode where Sheldon destroys astrology in one sentence.

There's another where Leonard makes fun of Penny for believing in psychics and that's the story between them in that episode.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2013, 2:56 pm

Recently I was watching some old 90s sitcoms and seriously, they make Sheldon's portrayal of a stereotypical nerd look tame in comparison. This was the decade that gave us Urkel after all.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2013, 5:19 pm

" Drop a scientific term into a top-rated sitcom, and a significant sample of the audience will grab their mobile devices to learn more about the Higgs boson, quantum brane dynamic theory or the Large Hadron Collider."
http://m.deadline.com/2013/06/big-bang- ... ons-emmys/

Edit:
"Saltzberg hopes Big Bang can help a general audience fall in love with science. And, he adds: “People are really wearing the geek moniker now as a badge of honor. I was wearing a T-shirt yesterday at the gym that said ‘Geek Inside.’ And some guy came by who was very fit and said: ‘I want that T-shirt."

SpeakerToAnimals
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jun 2013, 6:24 pm

When was the last time you heard a neurotypical say 'Hey, I watched this TV show last night and there was this supposedly NT guy in it but he didn't like sport or gossip and I was so offended because why don't writers do their reasearch?'

There are no characteristic traits which all NTs share and they don 't expect every TV character to represent them; same with Aspies. Some of us are bright, some of us are as*holes, and some of us are both. Sheldon's one of the latter and we've all met them.

I don't want to see all Aspies represented as saintly figures I can't live up to. I don't want people asking me 'Why can't you be more like the caring, sensitive Aspies on TV?' I'd rather hear them say 'So you're a bit like Sheldon Cooper but not such an as*hole?'

SpeakerToAnimals
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jun 2013, 6:37 pm

eric76 wrote:
I just go to the store and buy 3-packs of colored t-shirts with pockets. When getting dressed, I just grab the next t-shirt in the pile regardless of its color.

All my socks are identical black ones and I wear the same kind of shirt and trousers at work every day: I have to wear a shirt and trousers because of the dress code but I never iron them and I'd much rather wear an extra large (unironed) comic or film-themed T-shirt and black jeans like I do at home.

That's the way I've dressed for thirty-odd years and I'm comfortable with it.