Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2013, 11:34 am

:-( I repeat chores so I can remember them and repeat weather "it's going to rain" since I live in Florida we have to watch the clouds and hear thunder so we know if a storm is moving in. I also go by my app on my iphone which isn't always right. I was curious why some of you think we have this issue? Thanks!

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2013, 11:41 am

zeldapsychology wrote:
:-( I repeat chores so I can remember them and repeat weather "it's going to rain" since I live in Florida we have to watch the clouds and hear thunder so we know if a storm is moving in. I also go by my app on my iphone which isn't always right. I was curious why some of you think we have this issue? Thanks!

If I understand your question correctly, we repeat ourselves for a a number of reasons. First, our lives are mostly a series of routines that necessarily consist of repetitive behaviors and habits. Second, people are by nature creatures of habit, and this goes doubly for aspies; our habits become comforting after a while. Third, I like repetition because my executive faculties aren't everything they should be, and repetition reinforces behaviors the successful mastery of which are necessary in my life.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2013, 11:47 am

zeldapsychology wrote:

Can you be specific about what kind of repetition you mean: verbal, physical or both? Or is it more patterns of thought?

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2013, 12:07 pm

I've read that we do this partly because it soothes anxiety and gives reassurance. My repetitive behaviours are much worse when I'm anxious and I do some only when I'm really anxious or upset , like repeating questions.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2013, 12:10 pm

Are you talking about Palilalia?

I have been doing this since childhood

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palilalia

My deviant art profile

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2013, 1:08 pm

Quote:
Perseveration is a hallmark of people with ASD. Perseveration is a hallmark of people with ASD. Perseveration is a hallmark of people with ASD: ditto, ditto, ditto — and then some.

Perseveration in autistic people may be related to differences in brain structure and development. Autistic people tend to get "stuck in set" and repeat actions, words, and thoughts beyond their usefulness. This includes stimming and difficulties in shifting focus from one activity to another. Repetitions can be very soothing to autistic people.

EMTkid
Toucan
Toucan

09 Jun 2013, 4:27 pm

As far as verbally, I absolutely CAN'T STAND to repeat myself. At all. If I say something and someone doesn't hear it, it stresses me out so bad to be asked to repeat it, I will usually just say "never mind". And it drives me nut when someone else repeats themselves. My son, in process of diagnosis as an aspie, repeats himself all the time. I know he can't help it but I have to get away or make him stop, which I know isn't fair.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2013, 9:00 pm

Repeating certain behaviors = constancy, which can be a comfort in this rather inconstant world.

"Rehearsal" to make sure you get something right makes sense too--that's how most things are learned, right? For me, I sometimes am not sure I did "get it right", so I need to repeat something more often than would be "usual."

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17