PS4 - No restrictions on used games

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 2:19 am

Exactly what it says on the tin.

Unlike the X-Box One, The PS4 will apparently allow gamers to use pre-owned games without restrictions.

Source:

http://www.gamespot.com/e3/ps4-supports ... n-6409677/

However, sharing games will be *extremely* complicated. See the video below for instructions.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA[/youtube]

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 5:10 am

I can't help but wonder if this last-minute change-of-heart was due to all of the backlash against the new XBox...

Raymond_Fawkes
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 6:14 am

Just watched E3 on Youtube, Sony did a great job!! !! I never played Xbox before, and will probably wait a few years to get a new console.. but I was fairly impressed by Playstation.

AspergerGamer64
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

11 Jun 2013, 8:40 am

i just love that video it really Kick Microsoft in the bollocks and i DON'T think it was last-minute change-of-heart Sony knew what they were doing

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 10:21 am

I used to be very anti-Sony because of their love for proprietary BS that cost you extra because nobody else could make a 3rd party version (power cables, interfaces, the "memory stick," etc.), but with the Playstation 3, Sony did everything right...which is to say, they did the opposite of Microsoft.

Microsoft...pay to play online. Sony...free.

Microsoft...HD-DVD. Sony...Blu-Ray (to be fair, the winning format wasn't yet in the bag, but Sony made the Blu-Ray, LET OTHERS MAKE Blu-Ray DEVICES, and the Xbox 360 only came with a standard DVD drive, not HD-DVD).

It's good to see Sony taking the trend with giving gamers what they want that Microsoft isn't. It will probably spell the end to Microsoft game console dominance (remember when Halo was their big selling point along with other "Xbox Exclusive Titles) as more and more game companies make PS3/4 a standard for new releases and avoid Xbox Exclusive labeling.

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 10:44 am

I can't believe Sony actually made that vid to taunt the competition. It's short, sweet and awesome! But yeah, no used game DRM. Long Live Playstation.

sixstring
Toucan
Toucan

11 Jun 2013, 1:01 pm

Publishers will still be able to apply online passes and DLC exclusive for new copies. But that's nothing PS3 didn't do already.

Anyway, RIP Xbox

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 1:13 pm

zer0netgain wrote:

Sony has said to play online with the PS4 you will need a playstation plus account. You have to pay for it. I'm OK with that.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 6:11 pm

AspergerGamer64 wrote:
...i DON'T think it was last-minute change-of-heart Sony knew what they were doing

Idunno. I haven't watched the video, but this is the very first that I've heard that the PS4 will allow used games.

zer0netgain wrote:
Microsoft...HD-DVD. Sony...Blu-Ray (to be fair, the winning format wasn't yet in the bag, but Sony made the Blu-Ray, LET OTHERS MAKE Blu-Ray DEVICES, and the Xbox 360 only came with a standard DVD drive, not HD-DVD).

Unfortunately, HD-DVD was the superior format. Blu-Ray only won the war because movie studios falsely believed that BD's copy protection would put a stop to movie piracy.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 7:44 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:

Unfortunately, HD-DVD was the superior format. Blu-Ray only won the war because movie studios falsely believed that BD's copy protection would put a stop to movie piracy.

How come HD-DVD was the superior format? Blu-ray can contain more data and as far as the numbers go the Blu-ray got the advantage. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_high_definition_optical_disc_formats
The only thing HD-DVD had for itself (from the table) is the lack of region coding.

fueledbycoffee
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2013, 7:52 pm

This is what pisses me off...

I used to work for EB Games before Gamestop blitzkrieged the retail market. Thanks to a price lock on new games, set by the industry, game store make upwards of 75% of their profits on used titles. The big box stores like Walmart and Best Buy can cope, since they sell other stuff. Their games are just a draw to get customers in the door. Microsoft is basically murdering the small game store. Trust me, between this and the bloody stupid Kinect thing, I'm never buying a Microsoft console again, and as soon as Linux's game support expands past Wine and Cedega's limited capacity, I'm done with Windows.

arnoldmcguire335
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jun 2013, 4:05 pm

KenM wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:

Sony has said to play online with the PS4 you will need a playstation plus account. You have to pay for it. I'm OK with that.

Which is only $5 a month, still $50 a year! at least with that, also gives you good benefits. :D

CapriciousAgent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Jun 2013, 4:22 pm

The price really shocked me, considering what the PS4 has in terms of memory, alone. I've always been a Playstation partisan, but that E3 presentation was a masterful coup de grace after their reveal earlier this year. I don't know what Microsoft is planning to do, but I know what I'm planning to do, and that's get a PS4.

J-P
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jun 2013, 7:23 pm

I regret to have preordered Xbox now...

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

12 Jun 2013, 10:47 pm

J-P wrote:

All is not lost.

I heard that the Xbox One might be worth it if you're into social media...

Or did Microsoft forget that there was a group of people out there who would rather not be integrated in to a social media network... :lol: At least you'll be able to do some things on it.

Maybe you can sell it on eBay and have a sucker buy it.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2013, 5:23 am

J-P wrote:

You can't cancel? (I wouldn't know, I've only preordered something once or twice)