Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

MakaiGaro
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Jun 2013, 11:17 pm

This person in question has a brain injury, epilepsy, bipolar 2, and ADHD.

We were at the store. Nobody was available so we pulled some jewelry from the cabinets. Later that morning she got sick in the bathroom. I waited in my car because my phone was dying, and on the way out I found out she was arrested for the jewelry (said cases were in the bathroom stall) and had dog clothes on her person. She had extra jewelry on her person that night because of recent break ins, the generic kind you can find at any piercing shop (same kind they allege she stole). On the way out, I was talking to her on the phone. She saw some dog clothes and was taking them to show me (miscommunication, she thought I was still in the store). It was also velcroed and stuck to her without her realizing it. Some employees started singing happy birthday, she got confused and was on the phone to me walking out as they stopped her for shoplifting.

The employers and police were very harassing about her disabilities. Making jokes, calling her a leech, etc.

They shook out her bag when they got to the station. But after she was bailed out and we got back that afternoon, the jewelry from the store was in her purse in that compartment. She says she put it all back in one place, and the police were trying to have it fall out so they could pin her with it.

Oh, and walmart has sent a letter about the civil claim. It's something like $300. She's on social security and has a completely fixed income, so she can't pay that and the case hasn't even been decided.

She was attacked in November, she already has a TBI and the attack has given her "non epileptic spells". We have the paperwork explaining this.

Last Monday was a court date. That day she had a seizure and missed her court. Now they are seeking a thousand dollar cash bond. Can't do a title bond or a bail bondsman, because it was a no show.

So, don't think she stole on purpose. She offered to pay for the merchandise afterward even.

Need advice ASAP.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2013, 11:21 pm

Can she even be convicted of shoplifting without actually leaving the store? She didn't leave the store before they stopped her did she?

MakaiGaro
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Jun 2013, 12:17 am

seaturtleisland wrote:
Can she even be convicted of shoplifting without actually leaving the store? She didn't leave the store before they stopped her did she?

Stopped on the way out, pas the metal detectors.

Laddo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2013, 4:39 am

You must get evidence of her illness and submit it to the relevant authorities. Did she go to hospital after her seizure? You need to get as much evidence as you can about this before it's too late. Were the authorities notified of her difficulties before the original court date?

I am no longer using this account or this website. Do not bother contacting me because any messages will be ignored. The fact that you can't delete your profile while all your information is retained is also disgraceful.

MakaiGaro
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Jun 2013, 11:25 am

A hospital visit happened about a month beforehand. "non epileptic seizures". Didn't go to the doctor after posting bail that day or Monday afterward.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2013, 11:30 am

What country is this in? If it is a federal state, what state or province is this in?

MakaiGaro
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Jun 2013, 1:36 pm

Alabama, USA

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2013, 1:56 pm

MakaiGaro wrote:
Alabama, USA

Eww, gather as much information as you can, every single bit, and hand it to the lawyer! All relevant medical information. Try to get her evaluated if you can; otherwise, rely on prior evaluations. Try to get her doctor to testify at trial. Any and everything you can do, do it! Do not rely on the overworked public defender to do it for you, but get that defender the info they need pronto!

MakaiGaro
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Jun 2013, 11:30 am

The court appointed attorney is on the court's side. One lawyer for all clients. I wish she had a prime Psychiatrist,Medical Doctor, or Neurologist, but they've dismissed her in the past.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2013, 7:48 pm

MakaiGaro wrote:
The court appointed attorney is on the court's side. One lawyer for all clients. I wish she had a prime Psychiatrist,Medical Doctor, or Neurologist, but they've dismissed her in the past.

Try your best. Admittedly, things look bad. Perhaps you can try to network to find a pro bono attorney?