Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

slave
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2013, 6:11 pm

beige37 wrote:
Of all my sensory issues, noise is the worst for me. That's saying something, too... The sound of people chewing makes me furious and I can't tolerate it. In fact, my IEP states I get to eat lunch in a separate room by myself because of that intolerance. People who don't know me think I'm overdramatic about noise (putting my hands over my ears in public, having to leave loud rooms, etc.) but they don't understand what it's like.

I understand.

grooveitover
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jul 2013, 11:17 am

Fuel stations which insist on having all pumps beep at a very high pitch at every user prompt, or at times for no apparent reason.

Get six or seven people within aural proximity filling their vehicles with fuel and this very well can push me over the edge at certain stations.

repetitive sneezing, coughing... I feel terrible about this, and my close family even apologizes when they sneeze or cough more than once because of me. I am getting better with this, however I see no use for certain gas stations that beep... I mean what population of people does this beeping benefit? Is the benefit to this population worth the risk of annoying the hell out of the consumer? I am even trying to think about neurotypical folks here as well, I find it hard to believe that they are not at least somewhat aggravated or annoyed by this sonic belligerence.

Certain types of chewing by certain people. Lets not forget those few folks that decide to open up cokes and start munching on kettle fried chips during meetings / presentations during utter silence.

Further to the above point, if people are being hyper-cognizant about the volume of their chewing or eating behaviors it annoys me even more. Or even other behaviors such covering ones mouth with their hands during conversations at lunch. I mean if they were speaking with their mouth full I probably wouldn't notice, however by drawing my attention to their mouth by covering it with their hands increases the likelihood of me actually seeing them speak with their mouth full (which I assume is what they are trying to prevent in the first place).

Oddly enough banging electronic music, with repetitive hooks, beats, melodies, stabs, clicks, pops, beeps etc. are completely soothing and energizing to me. When I first heard a hard 4/4 time dance track I thought "This is the shixt that goes on in my head all the time anyway; its great that there is an entire genre that is dedicated and is constantly evolving from such repetition".

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

25 Jul 2013, 8:13 am

Just my parents. Nuff said.

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

RafflesiaX
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Jul 2013, 10:16 am

Noises that made me mad:
-teeth sucking (my dad always do this after he finish eating, seriously it really irritating :x )
-chewing food with open mouth (my brother like to do this :evil:)
-people coughing continuously ( I used to give a cold glare to person who is coughing. Not a good thing to do :?)
-cutlery sound (sometime, especially when someone using it too 'hard')
-screaming kid/toddler

Your Aspie score: 115 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 106 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits
RAADS-R: 106.0

AlaskaSupertramp
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Jul 2013, 3:53 pm

RafflesiaX wrote:
Noises that made me mad:
-teeth sucking (my dad always do this after he finish eating, seriously it really irritating :x )
-chewing food with open mouth (my brother like to do this :evil:)
-people coughing continuously ( I used to give a cold glare to person who is coughing. Not a good thing to do :?)
-cutlery sound (sometime, especially when someone using it too 'hard')
-screaming kid/toddler

Exactly the same here. People sniffing or sneezing (especially if it's really loud) make me cringe.
Oh and breathing noises also make me furious. So I guess I'm pretty impossible to live with.

dunya
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Jul 2013, 2:48 pm

Eating noises
Sniffing, coughing, breathing loudly, picking fingernails
Screaming child
Screaming adult
Electronic beeps above a low volume
Sirens, horns and vehicle alarms
China clashing, smashing
Chairs scraping on a hard floor
Cinema trailers or films played loud

Anything sudden or too loud.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2013, 10:24 pm

redrobin62 wrote:
Motorcycles revving makes my muscles twitch.
Babies crying makes my toes curl.
Balloons popping makes my nerves jump.
Fingernails against a chalkboard makes my spine wobble.
These^ all drive me mental.
Though I wouldn't say I have misophonia, from skimming the wiki entry, maybe selective hyperacuisis-
or some other as-yet-unnamed sound issue. It's mostly with loud motor type of noises, I just am on edge the whole time.

chickensoup
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Aug 2013, 7:02 pm

Dogs. Hate the things in general but at least you don't have to deal with their poop and shedding in your own home (assuming you're not foolish enough to own one.) Barking is another matter altogether.

PhoenixRain
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Apr 2017, 1:53 pm

scarter wrote:
Subwoofers give me homicidal thoughts.

I have never related with something so much as I have with this sentence.

You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Knofskia
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2017, 8:11 pm

What is the difference between misophonia, hyperacusis, and hypersensitive hearing from a sensory processing disorder?

Weak Emerging Social Communicator (The Social Thinking-­Social Communication Profile by Michelle Garcia Winner, Pamela Crooke and Stephanie Madrigal)

"I am silently correcting your grammar." :lol:

crystaltermination
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2017, 4:16 am

I'll have to read up on this disorder. I know I seriously don't like any sound that mimics my tinnitus, which comes and goes - sometimes the sound gets really loud, then slowly fades away, which is utterly horrible: it drowns out all other noise which is curiously what happened when I fainted, once. Everything sounded very muffled, suddenly. Think it must be a blood pressure thing. Anything with a certain high pitched frequency/duration is uncomfortable. Televisions at the point where they are switched on, and water being poured into a cup or mug for some reason are also bad sounds.