New Pew study on the LGBT population in the US

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 10:36 am

The hard working people over at Pew just released a report on LGBT Americans based on a recent survey (N=1,197).

Some might find it interesting.

Summary: http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2013/06/ ... americans/
Full report: http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/files/20 ... 6-2013.pdf

Since it is unlikely that most people will sift through a 160 page report, however, I've grabbed some of the more general figures from it and posted them below:

Sexual preference:

Image Image

Perceptions of discrimination:

Image Image

Political and religious concerns:

Image Image

Image Image

Some highlights:

- The survey seems to confirm the widespread belief that sexual preference is more "fixed" for men than women, as a larger percentage of LGBT men than women in the study identify as exclusively homosexual.

- Note the pronounced difference in perceived acceptance for transgender individuals compared to LGB individuals.

- Oh, and...

Got it? Good.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2013, 10:59 am

Transgender people can belong to the LGB part as well (and be straight, of course.) I mean, I guess I'm technically transgender (some sources say androgynous is a type of transgender) but I'm bi as well. I guess there are more transgender people out there than the poll reveals because they might answer the question 'are you L G B or T' according to their sexual orientation rather than their gender identity.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

16 Jun 2013, 7:12 am

[Moved from LGBT Discussion to PPR on OP's request]

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

18 Jun 2013, 10:40 am

That busts the "LGB people don't even want to get married!" myth.

Those priorities were the most surprising thing for me- gay people think marriage is more important than adoption or preventing and treating HIV/AIDS?

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2013, 7:32 am

GGPViper wrote:

The Republicans never really had it to start with...why bother trying to court them now?

It's the same reason African-Americans are ignored most every election cycle. The Democrats take for granted that they will get that group's vote and don't bother to care about what they want or need. The Republicans presume they won't get that group's vote and don't bother to care about what they want or need. Every other ethnicity has the parties competing for their affection, but not African-Americans.

Erlonman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jun 2013, 11:21 am

Interestingly enough, another republican senator (Murkowski) came out in favor of gay marriage.

Of course, this is only the 3rd sitting Republican Senator to come out in favor of it, making the total tally 54 sitting senators. I think the new "moderates," in the Republican Party will try and win on this issue and on immigration.

In fact, I agree with someone that said that, by 2016, both the Republican and Democratic candidate will be in favor of gay marriage.

Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2013, 10:04 am

We might already have federally recognized gay marriage by 2016 anyway so it could possibly become a (semi)non-issue.