New here, mom of 6 year old, lots of questions

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

psych
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 12:56 pm

hannahsmom wrote:
So we have just started the testing with my 6 year old daughter. At first we were told PDD NOS, but now they are leaning more towards Aspergers. Of course it depends on the day and the doctor/therapists we are talking to at the time....

tbh i doubt it makes much of a differance. I suspect (without knowing too much about it) that the labels dont have a great deal of clinical value, & its all a big multi-faceted spectrum with every AS/PDD-NOS child having individual sets of traits, sensitivities etc. The labels are probably just are just a way of the medical community trying to come to terms with something they dont fully understand yet. In the future theyll either group them together, or subdivide them even further so i wouldnt worry too much about it.

The important thing is they seem to be all agreed on your daughter being on the autistic spectrum. Thats what you need to know to understand her as she grows and develops in her own unique way.

Then again what do i know - i dont even know any children really. All the best anyway :)

CelticGoddess
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2007, 2:59 pm

Just as an aside...I heard a woman speak at an autism conference and she has three boys all on the spectrum. When her first was being diagnosed, they started off by saying he had PDD-NOS which she liked to say stood for "Physician Didn't Decide". I found that to be rather comical. ;) In the end all three boys got an Aspergers dx.