Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2013, 1:12 am

What does WP think of this series? Overrated? Underrated? Don't care? Personally, I got really into the story line after MGS2, then played the old MSX games on emulator, then was crushed to pulp by MGS4 and peace walker, to the extent that I no longer have any interest in the franchise/universe.

kembleman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jun 2013, 1:28 am

I have played the first Metal Gear Solid that came out on the PS1 and since then i have only played Peace Walker and MGS3.
I think MGS3 Snake Eater was by far the best one on the series,I have the HD collection on Xbox but have not wanted to play it due to not having much interest anymore.

Laddo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2013, 2:23 am

I absolutely love the series. I first played an MGS1 demo back in 97-98 and was absolutely blown away. I played that demo over and over again. I've played and completed every game since, bar Portable Ops, and love them all.

"This is Snake. Colonel, can you hear me?" I'll remember that line and the way it was delivered well into old age, I think

I am no longer using this account or this website. Do not bother contacting me because any messages will be ignored. The fact that you can't delete your profile while all your information is retained is also disgraceful.

NEtikiman
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2013, 6:09 am

I played the original (in the solid series, at least) several times over and absolutely loved it! I've played each of the other ones (at least the main canonical entries) all the way through and enjoyed my experience, but not nearly to the same extent as the first one. The plot has gotten incredibly complex and bizarre and the replayability is no where near at the same level.
I think it's a great series that's worthy of the praise it gets, but not for my 100% devotion.

sixstring
Toucan
Toucan

18 Jun 2013, 9:31 am

Metal Gear Solid was a game changer for me. Until then I just played typical kid-friendly games with very little storyline.
I was blown away by the fact that a video game could actually have a storyline and acting that surpasses Hollywood.

Fell in love with the series and played every iteration since. MGS3 is my favorite by a longshot. Such an amazing game. I'm looking forward to MGSV.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2013, 11:18 am

Great series

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2013, 12:55 pm

I was an obsessive fan of Metal Gear Solid, Ghost Babel, and Sons of Liberty. I could never get into the original Metal Gear much since the terrible NES version was the only one that was widely available at the time.

Unfortunately, I lost interest in gaming right around the time Snake Eater came out, so I never played it. Or Portable Ops, or Guns of the Patriots, or Peace Walker. I did, however, stay somewhat informed of the storyline by reading the terrific Guns of the Patriots novelization. It's too bad Project Itoh died before he could novelize Snake Eater.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2013, 1:02 pm

MGS4 was a deal-breaker for me. The biggest problem I had with it was that codec/radio conversations occurred during action sequences. I know this is common practice for games nowadays, but I really don't want to talk to Otacon while trying to drive, shoot, avoid enemies, etc

modernmax
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2013, 6:36 pm

It's alright, not one of my favorites though because I was never really good at it, I'm pretty bad at stealth games. I just recently bought MGS on the PSstore, it was short but pretty good. MGS2 was by far my favorite, amazing game, I played through it like 5 times. MGS3 storyline: Great! Gameplay-BOOOOOO!! !! ! As for MGS4, It was ok but I didn't play much of it. And the online was garbage. So yeah, all in all its a nice series.

sixstring
Toucan
Toucan

19 Jun 2013, 11:08 am

modernmax wrote:
It's alright, not one of my favorites though because I was never really good at it, I'm pretty bad at stealth games. I just recently bought MGS on the PSstore, it was short but pretty good. MGS2 was by far my favorite, amazing game, I played through it like 5 times. MGS3 storyline: Great! Gameplay-BOOOOOO!! !! ! As for MGS4, It was ok but I didn't play much of it. And the online was garbage. So yeah, all in all its a nice series.
Are you serious? I thought MGS2 was the worst by a landslide. And 3 is my favorite. I loved the gameplay.

staremaster
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2013, 1:09 pm

^ My biggest problem with MGS3 was that it is so easy to win battles, making stealth completely optional, except for key sections. How many regular soldiers are required to put down Big Boss? 8O MGS2 had problems of its own, but it was a much more tense experience in my opinion.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2013, 4:48 pm

I got about halfway through the first game (Metal Gear for the MSX), and realized that I was not at the end of the game, and haven't played it since =|

I thought Solid Snake was cool, but didn't get very far into it.

MGS, I got to the grenades and gave up waiting for something to pique my interest.

I thought the Gameboy Color game was cool, but haven't played it in a long time.

I ended up finding the first three MGS games in a boxed set at Goodwill a while back though, so maybe I'll give them another try some day.

Oh, not entirely Metal Gear related, but I thought Snatcher for Sega CD was pretty awesome.