Anyone ever find their sleeping dreams a little confusing?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2013, 3:10 am

Anyone ever find their sleeping dreams a little confusing? My sleeping dreams seem to be about the same world(reality) that I live in but have some strange twists to them. For example. If I have a dream about my house. My house may be missing the roof or I may have a back alley road in the back. And the really strange thing about this although it may look wrong. I get a very wonderful feeling about it. I wonder if this is a AS thing or not?

BTW: unlike most NT's. I can't choose what I dream about in my sleep. It's not like I can throw a dream DVD into the dream DVD player and go to sleep and dream about what I want. I think there was a movie back in the 80's called Dreamscape that was about this sort of thing.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2013, 4:55 am

My dreams are like that, too. There are some strange deviations from reality. But stupidly I don't even think it's strange while I'm in my dream. When I wake up I realize some things in the dream were really ridiculous. For example I have had a dream about my neighborhood. My usual neighborhood. But one difference is that there is someone's head (without a body) living in front of my neighbor's house.

In my case all my dreams have a rather sad air. Even in a dream in which the "storyline" is nice, I'm somehow feeling sad. I interpret it as that I'm subconsciously feeling pessimistic and it's showing in my dreams.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2013, 5:09 am

not really...
i do experience these anomalies, but they allow me to become lucid during my dreams, after which i just 'correct' them

Otherside
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jun 2013, 11:44 am

Wait...people can chose what they dream about?

I just seem to get something completely random that I don't understand. Generally it's just a load of high pitched noises and bright colours. Not pleasant. I really don't like dreaming.

OddButWhy
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2013, 1:28 pm

Occasionally a dream is about a house I knew well as a kid - my parents' home or a grandparent's, for example. Mostly the arrangement of rooms is just as it was, but then comes some added twist: extra rooms where there weren't any, a staircase ascending (or descending) to some higher floor or sub-basement that never existed, in one case a familiar modest home was transformed into a sprawling fenced-in compound with a swimming pool and well-appointed guest house. In the dream it all seems perfectly natural; it isn't until I wake that I start thinking "wait, that's not how it was."

I have no idea what could be signified by these dreams (that I'm confused? That goes without saying.)

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2013, 1:53 pm

Uh, aren't ALL dreams confusing? I didn't know NTs could choose their dreams? I thought having dreams where things aren't like reality was normal. So apparently it's only Aspies who have muddly dreams and NTs can lay down and think, ''I will dream about going to a beach tonight'' and will have a pleasant dream of them at a beach. :?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dream

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2013, 2:00 pm

Hmm....I think the strange dreams are some of the most memorable ones. :P

TheValk
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2013, 2:04 pm

My dreams are always a surprise to me - it's evident they are not created by the same mind I operate in my daily life. Perhaps a different side of it?

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2013, 2:09 pm

dont quite know where you got that from i thought everyone have dreams that are sureal or unpredictable. i have heard lot of nt people explain their dream they had the night before and always sounded all muddly and weird things like strange alleyways or roofless house etc?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2013, 3:19 pm

LupaLuna wrote:
Anyone ever find their sleeping dreams a little confusing? My sleeping dreams seem to be about the same world(reality) that I live in but have some strange twists to them. For example. If I have a dream about my house. My house may be missing the roof or I may have a back alley road in the back. And the really strange thing about this although it may look wrong. I get a very wonderful feeling about it. I wonder if this is a AS thing or not?

BTW: unlike most NT's. I can't choose what I dream about in my sleep. It's not like I can throw a dream DVD into the dream DVD player and go to sleep and dream about what I want. I think there was a movie back in the 80's called Dreamscape that was about this sort of thing.

Where did you get the idea that anyone in the human race can "choose" what to dream about? No one (but a tiny minority who claim they can-but even they spend years - like yogi masters working on the art to achieve the ability) 'chooses' what to dream abou during sleep.

Everyone dreams the way that you describe- about their home and neigborhood-but with slighlytly surreal and "dreamlike" deviations.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2013, 3:39 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
LupaLuna wrote:

Where did you get the idea that anyone in the human race can "choose" what to dream about? No one (but a tiny minority who claim they can-but even they spend years - like yogi masters working on the art to achieve the ability) 'chooses' what to dream abou during sleep.

Everyone dreams the way that you describe- about their home and neigborhood-but with slighlytly surreal and "dreamlike" deviations.

Exactly.
Some people here seem to think that just because they do something, it means it's an Aspie thing and that NTs do the opposite. Next there's going to be a thread entitled ''unlike NTs, Aspies sleep in beds.'' (Reminder to some: don't create a joke thread about what I just said, it will only get deleted).

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2013, 3:46 pm

Yeah, your dreams sound quite typical, actually. Go and get yourself some books on sleep--not on dream interpretation either as psychology or as divination, but about sleep itself, especially sleep research--and read those. You'll find some accounts of dreams that are quite like what you're mentioning, a mishmash of familiar places and people, many quite mundane.

Some people can choose what to dream about, yes. Some people can control their dreams. I can, though not perfectly. I don't believe it takes nearly as much practice or dedication as you might need to be a yogi; it really just takes awareness of the fact that you're dreaming, and the ability to balance on the edge between wakefulness (and logical thought) and your dreams. It is fun to experiment with, but it's not particularly remarkable as a phenomenon, though it can be helpful for people with recurrent nightmares. That is in fact exactly what I am using it for nowadays; I have a recurrent dream about being stuck living with my mother, and I often use that ability to recognize the dream while I'm in it and get out of the situation. One twist that it's had on it lately is that I have my cats with me and I have to find a way to bring them with me when I go back to my own apartment; so I researched how to fly with pets, and used that information the next night to basically tell the dream, "Uh-uh, nope, you can't trap me; I can take my cats with me and you can't do a thing about it. By the way, you're not really my mother. I'm thirty years old, I'm living on my own, and my mother is several states away. Now, if you would get out of my way, I have some flying to do."

Next time I'll probably just teleport back home to my own place, and bring the cats alongside. I'm getting really irritated at that dream, but every time I have it I get closer to beating it. Maybe my brain is trying to make me practice asserting my independence, because I am quite frightened of losing my independence, and dreams (according to one theory) are often the result of your mind trying to get you to practice dealing with dangerous situations.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2013, 9:21 pm

Some dreams can be confusing, but the vast majority of them make perfect sense (at least as long as I'm dreaming them).

I've only had one lucid dream in my life. I was 7 at the time. I hope I won't have another one, because I very much enjoy my dreams and where they take me, and it just wouldn't be the same if I had any conscious control over it. Then I might as well just daydream about it. But when I dream about something exciting, then for a short while, it's as if it's actually happening and I don't wanna lose that. I even keep journal over the interesting ones.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2013, 3:48 am

A few months ago it was an ''Aspie trait'' to have lucid dreams or have the ability to choose your dreams and control them. Now it's NTs who can do that and Aspies are the ones who have surreal dreams......I can understand why people get annoyed on WP......

EmberEyes
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Jun 2013, 11:18 pm

I am fairly proficient at 'choosing' or 'conciously influencing' my dreams, and for the longest time I thought everyone could do that. But since I was around 10 or so, I have learned that it's not very common among the probably hundred or so people I have talked to about it. One of my favourite dreams is then I am floating or sort of swimming through air...

OddButWhy
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2013, 6:36 am

[quote="EmberEyes"One of my favourite dreams is then I am floating or sort of swimming through air...[/quote]

I used to have that kind of dream all the time. Floating, drifting, swooping, but never very far above the ground. It was kind of cool.