Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2013, 9:54 am

vanhalenkurtz wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:
If I don't get satisfaction from the manager, I just take my business elsewhere. Since corporations are all about making as much money as possible, that's what corporations dread most anyway. I've gotten to where I like it when people and businesses don't treat me properly right up front. I know to avoid them at all costs.

Sure, you're smarter than the vending machine in the hallway, but spending time debating it won't make it agreeable if it's out of order. Until you let it go, the store is still ripping you off.

I'm not sure I understand your point about debate; debate has nothing to do with my position. My position is that sometimes it's far easier to cut one's losses, assuming the are minor, and simply not doing business with that person--or vending machine--again.

Here are two examples from just this morning. Driving in to work this morning, I was cut off badly by a rude fellow in a work truck. Rather than get angry, I simply made a mental note of the company and I will never do business with them. I figure if they can't show basic decency while on the road, they aren't going to show it in their business dealings either.

Of course, this isn't always possible. When the meter reader came out to read my meter yesterday, she did needless damage to my property. Since I have no choice but to do business with these people, and this isn't the first time I've had problems with them, I had to complain. But normally it's far better for my equanimity and peace of mind simply to take the small loss and move one.