Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

RedHogRider
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Jun 2013, 7:03 am

Max000 wrote:
Moondust wrote:
I'm probably missing a lot here, due to my severe deafness to the unsaid...?

I go to a store, ask the guy at the door where the shopping carts are, he answers:

"Outside, of course. And if there aren't any, then there aren't any!" in a sarcastic, hostile tone.

I complain about his unwelcoming behavior at the customers' desk, the lady just asks someone to try and get me a cart, no one gets me anything, I proceed to the dept. I want to buy my stuff in.

It's terribly crowded. I have 50 people before me and wait 1 full hour for my turn, only to see that they're not looking at the numbers, so anyone who jumps and says: "Here! That's my number!" gets served.

I complain, and the attendants ignore me. I ask an attendant for something, he says "Sure!" then does the opposite. When I ask him why, he starts arguing with me in a raised voice, but still refuses to say why he had lied to me that he could do what I requested. My turn comes but I get passed over, because the attendant is angry at me. The person who was 10 turns behind me is served instead and when I complain, the customer starts yelling and laughing that I got let out of the psychiatric ward. The attendant refuses to tell me his name and in the end gives me a false name.

I go back to the customer service desk, tell the full story to the lady, she lets me speak, in the end she says: "It's not me you have to talk to, it's the manager, over there." I tell the full story again to the manager, but she says she's too busy (the guy who was 10 turns behind me but got served before me is going through her cash desk and can't be kept waiting, although I explained to her that he was way behind me) and tells me to tell the story to her second-manager.

I complain that I'm being made to tell the story a 4th time and that I've been at the store for over an hour and still unable to make my purchase, and I'm a regular customer. They tell me that I'm being uncooperative and if I don't tell the story a 4th time, they won't help me get served. They also confirm that the attendant gave me a false name.

The sub-manager goes to the dept. with me and tells the attendant who offended and lied to me that everything is fine, and not to worry, and asks someone else to serve me, then tells me "Now all is Ok". I tell him I don't think anything is ok here, and leave. He yells at me that I only came to their store to make trouble and never meant to buy anything. The dept. attendants stay behind laughing that a customer was so upset by their behavior that she had to leave without buying anything and was admonished by the manager on top of it.

After 1:30 hours of this, I get back home empty-handed.

I think you need to go to the store when it's not so crowded. Try late at night just before closing, or early in the morning as soon as they open, or at least go during a slow period around mid day.

Sound wisdom, Max! That's what I do. I find it difficult dealing with the cashiers or clerks and the crowds, so I try to go when there are as few people as possible. It makes my shopping experience much more enjoyable.

Thelibrarian
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2013, 9:54 am

vanhalenkurtz wrote:
Thelibrarian wrote:
If I don't get satisfaction from the manager, I just take my business elsewhere. Since corporations are all about making as much money as possible, that's what corporations dread most anyway. I've gotten to where I like it when people and businesses don't treat me properly right up front. I know to avoid them at all costs.

Sure, you're smarter than the vending machine in the hallway, but spending time debating it won't make it agreeable if it's out of order. Until you let it go, the store is still ripping you off.

I'm not sure I understand your point about debate; debate has nothing to do with my position. My position is that sometimes it's far easier to cut one's losses, assuming the are minor, and simply not doing business with that person--or vending machine--again.

Here are two examples from just this morning. Driving in to work this morning, I was cut off badly by a rude fellow in a work truck. Rather than get angry, I simply made a mental note of the company and I will never do business with them. I figure if they can't show basic decency while on the road, they aren't going to show it in their business dealings either.

Of course, this isn't always possible. When the meter reader came out to read my meter yesterday, she did needless damage to my property. Since I have no choice but to do business with these people, and this isn't the first time I've had problems with them, I had to complain. But normally it's far better for my equanimity and peace of mind simply to take the small loss and move one.